APOD Firearms

Where to find heavier 2.23/5.56 locally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Started getting bored with plinking on the 250 at best of the west so i decided to pony up and try out the 500. By the time the range officer got to me to verify me i had gotten my zero almost dead on without knowing it (I wasn't seeing dirt fly was my only indication) and got 5 for 5 to qualify.

So now I'm hooked on the long range game but have seen nothing but 55gr on N side. I've got a 1/9 so I don't think I can go over 69gr. Anyone know where I can find some good match grade loads, hopefully for a decent price?

Edit: Also I could really use somebody to spot for me (and of course vice versa) since its really hard to hear plinks at 500 with AR loads. I usually go to botw on Saturday morning and can pick some up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Most of the heavier stuff I've seen has been penetrator rounds, so that'd be not so good on steel. Might look online, or best bet, load your own.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    If only I had the extra grand laying around to start reloading :rolleyes:

Doesn't take that if you're willing to stay away from Dillon. lol. A few hundred will get you a decent Lee setup that will work just fine. While I'd love the Dillon progressives, Lee has treated me well for the past 5 years. Never had a problem with their product unless I screwed up ... and even then, Lee corporate took care of it for me without hesitation.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Doesn't take that if you're willing to stay away from Dillon. lol. A few hundred will get you a decent Lee setup that will work just fine. While I'd love the Dillon progressives, Lee has treated me well for the past 5 years. Never had a problem with their product unless I screwed up ... and even then, Lee corporate took care of it for me without hesitation.

Bout how much would I expect to pay per round, and not buying in extreme bulk? Is the heavier stuff going to run more than making some m193? Having a bit of a hard time finding the answer on this since panic prices hit.

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    i dont buy in bulk but im reloading for about 30 cents a round vs 60 - 75 cents a round when i buy factory ammo

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    IF you can find it, reloading is still cheaper than buying factory, especially in rifle calibers. Unfortunately it's hard to find just like factory ... but they're both getting better.

Reloading, depending on what you find, cuts your cost per round roughly by half.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 3000.

Top Bottom