• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    When You Find Out That Your Friends Are Criminals

I always told my wife that her neighborhood gossip and girl talk was meaningless because no one really knows what goes on behind the doors of any home. In the news recently is the university bribery scandal and at the center of it all is Rick Singer...my neighbor for 10 years and I guy that spent a lot of personal time with us giving my son basketball tips. We talked about a lot of things and I went to many of the CSU Sacramento basketball games where he was a coach. When he left coaching I remember him starting the college prep consulting business while he was also running basketball camps for the local kids from the ghettos and working with troubled youth. Seemed like a stand up guy....until you turn on the news one day and....!!

I went to high school with a guy who was as straight arrow as they come. We were close friends and even dated the same girl. I really liked her but had no interest in settling down at 18 - 19. He wanted to get married so I backed away and he got married. His family had owned a large rice farm for more than 100 years. He took over the farm and ran it with his brother. A number of years later I see him on the covers of all of the farming and organic magazines and he is famous for starting one of the most innovative hydrophonic tomato growing operations in the world. Great place! I went to see it and he was all hyped up about his success, the contracts he had with companies like Whole Foods, etc. Flash forward a couple of years and he is all over the news again...this time he is being arrested by the FBI for running one of the largest marijuana growing operations in the country. Seems the market for his tomatoes went down and he got conned into working with a medical marijuana distributor to produce the product using his high tech greenhouses.

Not a close friend, but an employee of mine when I was Director for a Federal Laboratory, one of my managers had been there for about 10 years and his wife worked for me as well. Nice folks and I got along great with both. One day an associate from another Federal unit let me know that he had heard one of my employees had plead guilty to accepting bribes. I had our lawyer secure the court documents and found that the DOJ had arrested this guy for taking $300K in bribes from contractors and he had pleaded guilty with no jail time in exchange for turning on the three contractors. DOJ kept this from us and the guy had been working all the time. I used the court documents as evidence and fired him on several counts and his response to me was "but I thought this was all behind me!" I never knew if his wife knew about this or not but I couldn't punish her for his crimes nor would I want to since she had to live with what he had done. Between him and his wife they made $200K a year back in 2002 so it wasn't like they were starving but he set up the deals, solicited the contractors and built a new house with his take. The settlement deal did require him to pay the money back but the DOJ took the money and none of it came back to my budget.

So I can say that two of the guys I was pretty close to have had their time on the six o'clock news and not in a good way and the other was someone I worked close to for several years. Just goes to show that we never really know anyone.
    Gun Zone Deals

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Funny thing, I read about that college admissions scandal this morning in usatoday. The article talked about how people should get into college based off of merit and then quickly moved on to how most of the people caught in the scandal were white and how minorities should get into college even though they have low sats.

Who would have thunk that rich people paying their way into college was any more contemptible than idiots who cant pass the SAT who look a certain way or have a certain religion getting in for those reasons?

Aside from that, small world that he was your neighbor and someone you actually knew. Wonder how much trouble he is going to be in for this

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Had a girlfriend years ago who was one of sweetest girls i ever dated. And, she was a great kisser, and had a spectacular booty. Spectacular.

She ended up going to prison for stealing a bunch of money from the town she worked at.

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    I worked my way through UT as a bank teller back in the early-mid 1980s. I watched a few of my co-workers get fired for pocketing cash. Little did I know that our manager and one of the supervisors were stealing 10x as much. They did it for alround 25 years before getting busted in the early 2000s. FBI figures they stole well over $1 million from the cash drawers & vaults. Sad, she seemed like a decent person.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yup, never know. I worked with a guy who commented: “when I got out of prison “. I’m all for people changing their life and becoming good people, but when it comes to my neighborhood I have always (from when I become a dad) checked online sites to see if any registered pedos are in the hood.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yup, never know. I worked with a guy who commented: “when I got out of prison “. I’m all for people changing their life and becoming good people, but when it comes to my neighborhood I have always (from when I become a dad) checked online sites to see if any registered pedos are in the hood.

For those who have iphones, Offender Locator is a free app oon the apple store that shows if you have sex offenders living in an area. I have it and highly recommend it. Shows a picture, age and other details of the offenders

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    For those who have iphones, Offender Locator is a free app oon the apple store that shows if you have sex offenders living in an area. I have it and highly recommend it. Shows a picture, age and other details of the offenders
    Thank you. Works good. None on my street but got two within a few blocks. Great app.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    You don't need a smart phone to look up the 'pedos' in your neighborhood....and sadly, these turds are everywhere.

I don't remember the exact link, but look up sex offenders, your town and you'll navigate your way to your immediate locale to find your surrounded by these cretins...they're freaking everywhere.......

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    and sadly, these turds are everywhere.
    Our street needs a wall with armed guards apparently.
    98F17676-E068-47F8-9ADC-7B0B3397CE1E.jpeg

Attachments

• 98F17676-E068-47F8-9ADC-7B0B3397CE1E.jpeg
      98F17676-E068-47F8-9ADC-7B0B3397CE1E.jpeg
      100.5 KB · Views: 353

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Is the moral here "people who get close to gdr often become criminals"?

Or is the moral "criminals that hang out with gdr get caught"?

My 3 neighborhood running buddies through high school all ended up in prison. Funny how the mom of one started blaming me for corrupting her son when he started getting into trouble in high school.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    A friend when I was young has been to prison for felony DWI. You need lots of DWIs to get one of those.

Top Bottom