Gun Zone Deals

When you carry do you keep a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I don't carry one in the chamber but I do need to start.

Again, a good way to get comfortable is go for a week cocked but none in the chamber and treat as if. This will reinforce your safety procedures and provide comfort that you aren't going to ND. Make sure you have a good firm holster and belt and you should be comfortable within a few days to start.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    texasnurse,

My point is that your thumb safety can also FAIL. = I once had to investigate a ND by an officer of another agency, who experienced a "NOT negligent discharge" with a cocked & locked Series 70 Colt's GM. = Investigation proved that thumb safety sheared off & the GM fired while still in the holster, while he was "rolling around on the ground" & trying to subdue a suspect in a robbery.
    (That said, I would NOT want to be in the same room with a person who routinely carries "cocked & UN-locked". - I was shot by a felon years ago & I wouldn't care to repeat that experience.)

yours, satx

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    zincwarrior,

EXCELLENT ADVICE to "datboiroy", imVho.

yours, satx

Thanks! Thats what I did to overcome my concerns and it worked well. originally I CCd empty round as I had grabby munchkins.

Here's what started me shifting. Even though I practiced draw/rack very quickly, I ran into a situation with a dog while walking my dogs and it got me thinking that I wouldn't be able to draw with one arm being pulled around. So I did the above and became comfortable with it surprisingly quickly.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    zincwarrior,

Handling a K9 & a handgun too is the reason that MP K9 handlers are issued REVOLVERS. - Long ago, when I was assigned a Patrol Dog, I seldom felt that I needed a handgun. = I might well miss with a revolver but my "Misty" NEVER missed & she had a HARD BITE & a really "short fuse".
    (SFC Bull, my kennel-master, once said, "I'm about half terrified of that bitch. - She's made more than one SERIOUS run at me.")

Note: According to US Army policy a Patrol Dog, "need not sit quietly" if they in "- - - - all other respects are acceptable". = MANY Patrol Dogs are near to being "indiscriminate biters".

yours, satx

Last edited:

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    All the Marine K9 handlers I've seen at the gate and the Navy/DoD civies I worked with that NAS Fort Worth JRB all carried M9s. But we carried M9s Condition 1 and shotguns and rifles were Condition 3. Unsure about Army.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jeepinbanditrider; BigBoss0311,

The MARINES & USN do LOTS of things differently than the Army does. - And the USAF does things a THIRD way.
    (Also, I've been retired from the MPs for a LONG time.)

SEMPER FI & WELCOME HOME to both of you gents. - As The Good Book says, "Thou did well, good & faithful servant."

yours, satx

Last edited:

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    texasnurse,

My point is that your thumb safety can also FAIL. = I once had to investigate a ND by an officer of another agency, who experienced a "NOT negligent discharge" with a cocked & locked Series 70 Colt's GM. = Investigation proved that thumb safety sheared off & the GM fired while still in the holster, while he was "rolling around on the ground" & trying to subdue a suspect in a robbery.
    (That said, I would NOT want to be in the same room with a person who routinely carries "cocked & UN-locked". - I was shot by a felon years ago & I wouldn't care to repeat that experience.)

yours, satx

I agree anything mechanical can fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

datboiroy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Again, a good way to get comfortable is go for a week cocked but none in the chamber and treat as if. This will reinforce your safety procedures and provide comfort that you aren't going to ND. Make sure you have a good firm holster and belt and you should be comfortable within a few days to start.

When you're saying to go for a week cocked but non in the chamber, are you referring to a hammer firearm? I use a glock43 as my carry. Thanks for the advice.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    When you're saying to go for a week cocked but non in the chamber, are you referring to a hammer firearm? I use a glock43 as my carry. Thanks for the advice.
    Not necessarily....rack the slide on your glock then insert the mag, good to go!

Sent from...wait where am I!?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    V-Tach; TexasBB,

One thing is certain: A Colt's Government Model or a Gold Cup (in any of the several calibers), carried cocked/locked & in a good holster, is HARD to beat for LE or civilian self-defense use.
    (My personal favorite was a 1960s-era GM in .38Super, that was "slicked-up" for me by an AMU armorer. =It shot better than I could hold it.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom