Join TexasGunTalk

What's the deal with TX?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by PinnedandRecessed, Mar 26, 2019.

Are used guns typically ridiculously overpriced in TX?

1. Yes

38.1%
  2. No

45.2%
  3. Yes, but only because everyone haggles 50% off and or lowballs.

16.7%
  1. GoPappy

GoPappy Member

Dec 18, 2015
    When did that practice start? I.e., how long ago. My main camera is a Nikon D700 (I'd guess 10+/- years old), so I'm wondering if this "random" EXIF data practice was implemented before or after that time?

2. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I honestly don't know. The last time I heard it discussed was in a forum where people were paranoid about data security and that was years ago.

It may not be the location of the data; it may be the storage of data in binary blobs within the EXIF specification. I'm no longer in a job that requires me to dive deep into security problems like this but a quick search shows that this is, in some form, a real thing.

For example, Kaspersky says:
    ...implying the storage of data outside the EXIF standards. At minimum, I interpret that sentence as saying it's technically possible for a camera maker to store any data they want, almost anywhere they want.

As for binary blobs, the Wikipedia article on EXIF says that:
    ...meaning, to me, that not all of those binary formats have been broken. So we don't really know what all camera manufacturers are storing even within the EXIF spec.

Since I don't immediately find a cite that documents the storage of proprietary metadata outside the EXIF-, IPTC-, etc. defined locations, I suggest you take my assertion with a grain of salt. I'm relying on my memory for that one and Kaspersky seems to be saying it's possible but you really need to do your own research on that issue to establish your own comfort level.

I've been cognizant of the reality of metadata in photos even before Cat Schwartz lost control of her nude photos back in 2003 because they could be reconstructed from metadata pulled off of non-nude crops of those photos. (I was a big fan of her and the whole TechTV crowd back then. Her nudes were the incident that brought photo metadata issues to light to a much more general audience than just data privacy paranoids.) You never really know everything that's in there. Cameras these days are mostly computers that are closed, proprietary, and ever-changing.

In my old age I had decided that I don't care and I don't have anything to hide, anyway, so I stopped paying much attention to metadata, not even bothering to scrub what I put online. Writing this post, though, has reminded me that a little paranoia is probably always a good thing. This post is me, reflecting on the state of photo metadata for the first time in years. It gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach.

I really should pay more attention but life has too many details to track, already. I had let this one slip and now I have to decide whether I should change that.

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for forcing me to look at the issue again. :)

C_Hallbert likes this.
  3. birddog

birddog trippin triggers

Mar 4, 2008
    Dallas / Ft. Worth
    I’ve worked in classified facilities. The only technology I’ve seen is a sign at the entrance saying cameras aren’t allowed.

The exception is the use of IR emitters which aren’t visible to the naked eye (as opposed to a “dressed eye?) and which flood an area with light that washes out the CCD or sensor array of a digital and the film in an old fashioned camera.

4. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Interesting. :)

5. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 Well-Known

Nov 7, 2015
    I just saw a G19 Gen 3 selling with a load of upgrades.

The seller wants all of his investment back by asking (go ahead, ask all you care to) for a cost that would buy you a new one with all the upgrades new too.

I view this kind of 'out there' asking price and laugh and laugh and laugh....though to be sure, some uniformed knuckle head will pay the asking price.

6. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Our veterans and LEOs may take offense, y'know. :)

TxStetson and toddnjoyce like this.