APOD Firearms

What powder do you recommend for full power 9x19 loads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Torchrider

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Central Texas
    I have about ten thousand 124gr. Gold Dot and HST bullets that I plan to load into new unfired brass for a rainy day. In the past I have used HS6, AA#7 or Power Pistol for this type of work.

However, it's been a few years since I loaded full power 9mm so I thought I would find out what the rest of you guys are using. Are there better powders than the above out there for this purpose?

A couple folks I talked to at the LGS the other day recommended Alliant BE-86 and AutoComp but I have no experience with either of those.
    Capitol Armory ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I personally recomend researching powders and use the one that you are most comfortable with. IIRC, I was using Power Pistol and Bullseye. It's been awhile and I would have to look it up at home. I do have others I can use instead though.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Food for thought. reloads are for practice not EDC. I load to a comfortable level, not trying to burn the barn down. Makes practice a lot more fun and can shoot more. Costs less too.

My 2 cents.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2018
    US
    I'm a big fan of Alliant Power Pistol. Very consistent and seems to burn cleaner than most pistol powders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I would recommend PowerPistol. They used to advertise that it was the powder in military loads, but most manufacturers use blended powders now to cut costs.

Torchrider

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Central Texas
    I appreciate the feedback guys. Most of my range loads are built around 231/HP38. They make for a nice, accurate, easy shooting round. For this batch of 124gr. bullets I am hoping to get somewhere in the ballpark of 1200 FPS with a 4" barrel without sending pressures through the roof. I believe that should be doable with some of the powders you guys have recommended. It doesn't sound like a whole lot has changed powder wise since I last loaded some full power rounds. BE86 is really the only new one you guys have mentioned so far. It just goes to show you that the more things change, the more they stay the same. :shades:

ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I appreciate the feedback guys. Most of my range loads are built around 231/HP38. They make for a nice, accurate, easy shooting round. For this batch of 124gr. bullets I am hoping to get somewhere in the ballpark of 1200 FPS with a 4" barrel without sending pressures through the roof. I believe that should be doable with some of the powders you guys have recommended. It doesn't sound like a whole lot has changed powder wise since I last loaded some full power rounds. BE86 is really the only new one you guys have mentioned so far. It just goes to show you that the more things change, the more they stay the same. :shades:

ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I use either Winchester 231 or WST. Around 5 grains of either in both 45 or 38 super. Good target loads. The 38 super is similiar to your 9x19. These were recommended to me by my shooting instructor, a Grand Master shooter.

Torchrider

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Central Texas
    I have decided to use Power Pistol. I am going to run some 124 and 147 grain loads out of various platforms, such as G19, M&P Shield, M&P9 and CZ Scorpion. I will post the loads and my chrono results. Probably wont initially check for accuracy as these will not be bullseye loads.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well if you aren't getting the results you like with the power pistol, I highly recommend titegroup. It's not the best for lead(burns hot and vaporizes it) but for plated or fmj bullets it does great.

At 4.0 grains(under 124gr bullet)it has run over 9 different 9mm pistols for me without a single hiccup.
    I prefer 4.1-4.2 grains and at those levels it will push a 124gr bullet about 1080 fps out of a 4.5" barrel.

Probably the best thing about titegroup is that at these loads you spend less than 2 cents a round to use it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2018
    US
    I have decided to use Power Pistol. I am going to run some 124 and 147 grain loads out of various platforms, such as G19, M&P Shield, M&P9 and CZ Scorpion. I will post the loads and my chrono results. Probably wont initially check for accuracy as these will not be bullseye loads.
    Power Pistol is what I use for .380, 9mm, .40, and .45. Clean burning and was designed with semi autos in mind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2W2X1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    North SA
    Another vote to Unique as my go to pistol powder. I was a fan of power pistol for a while but found unique to work best across all calibers I load.

Top Bottom