• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasPatriot1916

Active-Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas
    I am curious to know what makes an NFA item Silencer,Machine Gun, SBR, ect... take so long to process ? isent it the same process as a 4473 ?
    Texas SOT

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    How bad do you want it? If you’re willing to not wait, than they win.

Let’s say you ran a business that sold an item that you didn’t like to sell for whatever reason. If you made it difficult to purchase it would lessen the amount you had to sell.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Isent it the same process as a 4473 thoe ? Just a General Backgeound check why would that take 6 months ?

Because this guy is the only guy who processes NFA requests:

Milton.jpg

Attachments

• Milton.jpg
      Milton.jpg
      39.9 KB · Views: 236

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Isent it the same process as a 4473 thoe ? Just a General Backgeound check why would that take 6 months ?

Yep.
    That's the big mystery.

Google gets 3,880,000 hits in 0.42 seconds if you want to check out what bad thing Lorena Bobbitt did but the ATF/NFA super computers take 6 months to investigate if perhaps I've done something vile and/or nefarious since my last Form 4 six months back!!!

Other than "speed-ain't-a-priority" there is no reason.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Y'alls may be looking at this the wong way, which is why it doesn't seem to make any sense...

It's not about just lethargy for it's own sake, It's about Deterrence - and if you think of it as such, the time-strech starts to make much more sense.

A $200 Stamp might not seem like much of a deterrent nowadays, but when NFA went into place, $200 was prohibitively expensive for many folks. But adjusted for inflation? How many would be willing to cough up ~$4k (current equivalent) for that same stamp now? Fortunately, that didn't happen.

41F was all about trying to correct that by making the process more difficult and off-putting with more needless BS and red tape. It won't stop anyone from getting their stamp, but if between the extra hassle and already excessive processing time it weeds out the impatient and/or on-the-fence buyers, well, that's a tangible reduction in numbers (with a nice bonus being the excuse to shut down F1 e-file for a long time which pushed them down even further), and a solid win for the 'crats. For them, the longer it takes, the better.

The key is just to not sweat over the delay. Send in your stuff then get it out of your mind, and it will be a nice surprise when the stamp(s) come in.

Last edited:

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Y'alls may be looking at this the wong way, which is why it doesn't seem to make any sense...

It's not about just lethargy for it's own sake, It's about Deterrence - and if you think of it as such, the time-strech starts to make much more sense.

A $200 Stamp might not seem like much of a deterrent nowadays, but when NFA went into place, $200 was prohibitively expensive for many folks. But adjusted for inflation? How many would be willing to cough up ~$4k (current equivalent) for that same stamp now? Fortunately, that didn't happen.

41F was all about trying to correct that by making the process more difficult and off-putting with more needless BS and red tape. It won't stop anyone from getting their stamp, but if between the extra hassle and already excessive processing time it weeds out the impatient and/or on-the-fence buyers, well, that's a tangible reduction in numbers (with a nice bonus being the excuse to shut down F1 e-file for a long time which pushed them down even further), and a solid win for the 'crats. For them, the longer it takes, the better.

The key is just to not sweat over the delay. Send in your stuff then get it out of your mind, and it will be a nice surprise when the stamp(s) come in.
    And you liked my post, #4, which said the same thing, more or less.

We pay the government to allow us to exercise a portion of our rights, in their view.

I am not wholly opposed to the government collecting taxes, however, when they limit our ablility to exercise our rights, endowed by our Creator, it becomes burdensome and should be thrown off.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    And you liked my post, #4, which said the same thing, more or less.

We pay the government to allow us to exercise a portion of our rights, in their view.

I am not wholly opposed to the government collecting taxes, however, when they limit our ablility to exercise our rights, endowed by our Creator, it becomes burdensome and should be thrown off.

Yeah, I missed that the first time through and saw it after posting...

Obviously, I agreed with your comments ;)

Top Bottom