Hurley's Gold

what is your opinion on snake bit kits like this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've never let a snake live and wouldn't plan to unless all other options were exhausted.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If I can identify it as venomous I kill it. If not then I let it go on about it's business. Anything that eats mice and rats is welcome on my property.

p4R4d0x

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Dallas
    This thread is a little frightening. I've never really had an issue with snakes, and in my youth, since I grew up watching Crocodile Hunter, I chased (and caught) many of them through the woods of upstate NY. Now I'm thinking I wasn't such a smart kid.
    lol.gif

Somewhat related question; How dangerous are the scorpions that can be found in Texas? I'm a somewhat recent transplant to Texas, and had never seen one before, so I assumed all were deadly. I came out of the kitchen to see my cats 'playing' with one in the middle of my living room, and freaked out, throwing the slice of pizza in my hands at it, because it was the only thing immediately within reach that I could 'save' my cats' lives with. :50cal: I then beat the **** out of it with a metal file after my airsoft gun failed to kill it. My now-ex made fun of me for months when I told her the story, because she claims scorpions aren't actually dangerous. With the information I had at the time, I stand by my decision to sacrifice a delicious slice of cheesy, doughy heaven, haha, but was this actually justified?

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    This thread is a little frightening. I've never really had an issue with snakes, and in my youth, since I grew up watching Crocodile Hunter, I chased (and caught) many of them through the woods of upstate NY. Now I'm thinking I wasn't such a smart kid.
    lol.gif

Somewhat related question; How dangerous are the scorpions that can be found in Texas? I'm a somewhat recent transplant to Texas, and had never seen one before, so I assumed all were deadly. I came out of the kitchen to see my cats 'playing' with one in the middle of my living room, and freaked out, throwing the slice of pizza in my hands at it, because it was the only thing immediately within reach that I could 'save' my cats' lives with. :50cal: I then beat the **** out of it with a metal file after my airsoft gun failed to kill it. My now-ex made fun of me for months when I told her the story, because she claims scorpions aren't actually dangerous. With the information I had at the time, I stand by my decision to sacrifice a delicious slice of cheesy, doughy heaven, haha, but was this actually justified?
    Depends on where in Texas. Closer to desert you get, the more dangerous they get. MOST of them are equivalent to a bee sting. If you're allergic to bee sting, then it's more dangerous. Scorpions aren't likely to strike randomly. I had one fall on me Saturday from the wall of my shed. While it scared the crap out of me, it was more interested in getting off my shire than it was stinging me. They try to conserve their venom as they have really small supplies of the stuff.

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    I've never killed a snake (on purpose) and wouldn't plan to, unless all other options were exhausted and if I had to, there wouldn't be enough of it left to worry. I haven't seen it recently, but I'm keeping the pole and net more easily accessible. Where do you relocate snakes to?

Edited:

In Springtown
    In my area around the lake. Not many people here.

Brian Boru

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2014
    Texas
    anyone here with medical training have an opinion on these?
    Our ranch is 30 miles from a hospital and I want to have some form of first aid in case of a snake bite.

$_35.jpg

There isn't a completely agreed upon first aid treatment method. So many opinions and so many reports that say, suction or no suction.

I remember reading about using a stun gun one time on the bite area. I don't know how that idea ever took off.

I love it, I have never been bit by a snake. But I use it on bee stings and other things. I used it today, actually.

I have no medical training, but snake handlers I've talked to swear by it.

They say use it and get to the hospital as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    lol.gif

Did he enjoy the pizza? Or did he pick the bell peppers and pepperoni off of it. If he picked toppings off of it, he DESERVED to die:laughing::laughing::p

Texas scorpions are GENERALLY not considered dangerous, save for anaphylaxis. However, they have quite a painful sting. My daughter has been stung by bees, wasps, scorpions, large and small fire ants. She said the scorpion sting was far more painful than the others.

Now, I am NOT a "scorpion expert", Reptiles are my expertise. However, I know that unless you have an allergic reaction to the venom, only one medically significant species of scorpion lives in the U.S. That would be the Arizona bark scorpion (Centruroides sp.), and I don't believe they are as far east as Texas. One way to tell if a scorpion might be dangerous is to look at the tail. If it has a fat tail, it's probably a good idea to seek medical attention if you're stung. The Arizona bark scorpion kills over 1000 people a year in Mexico, so it does have a lethal sting. Skinny tails are generally not more than really painful. However, this is NOT a hard and fast rule, only a guide to go by for the U.S. There are skinny tailed scorpions in the middle east that can kill you, and scorpions in Africa with tails as fat as a human finger that (short of the pain, or anaphylaxis) are harmless.

Can't go by the pincers, the scorpion that stung my daughter (now a resident of the counter, in an old olive jar), has really skinny pincers, but it also has a really skinny tail.

I, personally haven't been stung by a Texas scorpion. I have been stung by one in Northern Commiefornia, and it hurt..

I have been stung by a Japanese hornet, a Pepsis wasp (tarantula hawk), a Bullet ant, a Velvet ant (Actually a wingless wasp), a Yellow harvester ant (From western /N.D.), and a california bark scorpion. By FAR, the absolute most painful, was the yellow harvester ant!! I was sick for three days!. Bullet ants, Japanese hornets and Tarantula hawks have NOTHING on a yellow harvester ant!

*EDIT*

Ooops! My bad! apparently, the Arizona bark scorpion DOES inhabit western Texas (Desert areas)!

Sorry!

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Depends on where in Texas. Closer to desert you get, the more dangerous they get. MOST of them are equivalent to a bee sting. If you're allergic to bee sting, then it's more dangerous. Scorpions aren't likely to strike randomly. I had one fall on me Saturday from the wall of my shed. While it scared the crap out of me, it was more interested in getting off my shire than it was stinging me. They try to conserve their venom as they have really small supplies of the stuff.

You got some friendly scorpions. The ones around my house are happy to sting.

Think everyone in my house has been stung multiple times except me.

Judging by my daughters reaction, I'd say cow ants are worse.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Been stung by both. Ain't either one any damn fun but scorpions are easier to kill. Of course since the ants are hard to kill, you can take your time and get more satifaction out of it.
    Haven't had but one scorpion in the house the last couple years. Used to see about a dozen or so a year in the house.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    You got some friendly scorpions. The ones around my house are happy to sting.

Think everyone in my house has been stung multiple times except me.

Judging by my daughters reaction, I'd say cow ants are worse.
    Maybe! I was working on the mower Sunday and was using a rag for oil check. Had the rag in my hand for a good few minutes. Put it down and picked it back up a couple times. I got a little too much oil on it and shook it out and out flew and scorpion. I guess I gotta treat that shed for them.

I hear the velvet has a very painful sting. One of the worst in the world although not typically lethal. I have seen a few, but never been stung thankfully.

Top Bottom