• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    North Texas
    The Admin ask me to make a post here telling everyone what IDPA is. That made a lot of sense to me since this is a "gun talk" forum and not specificaly a pistol or competition forum.

I'll say up front that there are many of you out there vastly more qualified to post this than me so chime right in on what I miss.

From the IDPA website:

What is IDPA?

IDPA as a sport is quite simply the use of practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated “real world” self-defense scenarios. Shooters competing in IDPA events are required to use practical handguns and holsters that are truly suitable for self-defense use. No “competition only” equipment is permitted in IDPA matches since the main goal is to test the skill and ability of an individual, not his equipment or gamesmanship.

Much more info at http://www.idpa.com/

Now for what IDPA is not: Training

More about what it is: FUN!

I encourage anyone who has not shot IDPA to find a local match and go try it out. Many new shooters want to come watch a match first and that is fine. The real fun starts when you get in there and try it out.

Safety is always the most important concern. Arrive early and let the Match Director know that you have not shot an IDPA match before and they or someone will take you through the basic range commands and safety issues.

Believe me, you will be welcome at any IDPA club in Texas.

Come on out and give it a try!​
    Military Camp

HighVelocity

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I have been shooting IDPA matches for just over 2 years now. I'd say that those 2 years were more fun than the previous 10. :D

A fellow I shoot with said on another forum once; " IDPA stands for I don't Practice Anymore". Because once he started shooting matches, he can't stand in one spot and shoot at a paper target with a bullseye on it because it's boring.

Find a local match and go check it out. You'll be glad you did.

Gary

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Sucks working the hours that I do - tough to make it to these things when you're working 3PM - 11:30 PM Sunday through Thursday...

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Around San Antonio and Austin - there is a wealth of clubs. I've found that folks are extremely friendly and supportive.

Check out www.texastactical.net or www.rivercityshooters.com. The latter lists the local matches. Also, look for the Bandera club.

With those three in the local area, you can shoot almost every weekend.

Glenn

Glenn, Of the two you mentioned, would you recommend one over the other? Although I have been shooting for several years now, This will be my first in one of these types of club, so I will be a beginner. Thanks

Brett G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I've never been to River City but I have shot a few times with Texas Tactical. I can't say any thing bad about the group. They are pretty decent fellas (of course I shoot with the same squad all the time).

I will say they will probably not be ready to start by 9 am:) but that's par for the course. Mike usually does not have enough help setting up the stages. And god bless him for what he does.

Texas Tactical will be shooting saturday.

Brett

JAFO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    S. A., TX
    I've never shot IDPA, but I did shoot a USPSA match at River City. They're good guys and pretty helpful with newcomers. I've been meaning to go back sometime. Since I think my club at the Bullet Hole may be cutting back to one match per month next year, I may try to go down to River City more often.

Kobiash1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    little elm
    I've been shooting IDPA for 3 years now. We are very serious about gun safety, but also very serious about having fun. I originally started with a club in Ft.Worth, and went to Collin County IDPA. I immediately started shooting with. CCIDPA. They are the nicest group of people you will every know. Someone is always ready to help if you have question.
    CCIDPA.ORG
    The colonel ( you will also be issued a moniker)
    Jerry V. #A50711

Top Bottom