• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I'm not a hunter...yet. I'd like to be.

I have never hunted, growing up in the suburbs of Maryland. I'm active duty military in west Texas. I'm also a gun nut, and I'd like to apply my munitions to something other than paper.

I have a friend who has offered to take me dove hunting on his land.

I need to know what I need license-wise, training-wise, and equipment-wise.

I've got a CHL and Air Force pistol Expert Marksman qualification.

I have two shotguns. One is a Mossy 500 and a 24" barrel of unknown choke, 5-round tube. I also have a Remington 1100 set up for 3-gun with a 9 round tube and modified choke. I don't know which one is best or legal, if either.

So what do I need to hunt dove with my friend?

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Hunting license throughout the state of Texas, hunter certification class (depending on age), and a shotgun with a 3 shell limit

That's about it

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    1. Hunting license with migratory bird stamp
    2. Shotgun 3 shot capacity maximum You can buy a plug for either of the shotguns you have
    3. Vest will hold ammo and has a back pouch that holds dove nicely
    4. Training with clay pigeons helps, generally in the off season as its hunting time now :)
    5. camo and boots
    6. Check texas parks and wildlife for daily and possesion limits. I believe it is 15 a day or 30 in possesion, but varies in different areas

I have a freshly retired ex marine sniper and drill srgt for a brother in law. He was on the shooting team too. When he first went skeet shooting with us, it was rough. He improved quickly, but even they dont move like a dove flying. I enjoy telling my friends about how I can outshoot a sniper, one day I'll tell them what we were shooting...maybe. lol
    Dove hunting is great, I hope you enjoy.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You can buy a plug, or make one out of a wooden dowel, small pipe, or pencil. Just be sure you can only get two in the tube.

If you plan to hunt deer, or fish, look at the super combo license. It is a better deal if you need the other tags. The free TXPW book at the license counter is full of good information also.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    Hunting license throughout the state of Texas, hunter certification class (depending on age), and a shotgun with a 3 shell limit

That's about it

/\ This here. Hunter certification needed if born after Sep 1971. Expensive ticket as well if caught without.

jedwil

2d Amendment Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Hilll Country
    From the TPWD site:
    Hunter Education Deferral (cost: $10) Allows a person 17 years of age or older who has not completed a hunter education program to defer completion for up to one year. A deferral may only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current license year. A person who has been convicted or has received deferred adjudication for violation of the mandatory hunter education requirement is prohibited from applying for a deferral. Take the course by August 31 of the current license year and receive a $5 discount. The one-time Hunter Education Deferral is available at license vendors and went into effect September 1, 2004

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Look here for schedules all over the state: TPWD: Hunter Education

The phone numbers are usually the instructors. Be patient if you don't get an immediate response. Many of the instructors are volunteers who still have other responsibilities.

TinKnocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    As has already been stated, you need the hunter education class certification and a valid hunting license with the proper stamp. Even if you don't need the hunter ed. due to being born for the cut off date, I would suggest taking the class any way. There's some good info to be had for a person that has never hunted in their life (such as types of guns/weapons allowed for different game and ammo capacity restrictions, etc.)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    All the hunters education guys are volunteers.

You need a shotgun with 3 round max
    A hunting license
    A hunter safety class. Or pay 10 bucks for deferment. You have to hunt within earshot of someone with the class

Top Bottom