What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I CRIED TODAY!. :deadhorse: I FINALLY find someone who has small pistol primers at a local gun show and he wants 50¢ a piece ($500.00 for a 1000 piece brick). This after missing out on SPP at both the Spring and I10 West Carter's Country locations yesterday. :banghead: Once I use up the 300 CCI SPP's I have, looks like I will not be reloading for a while unless I get lucky and find some primers at a decent price.

.50 per primer? I may have had to punch the S.O.B., because laughing in his face just wouldn’t convey what I was feeling! Hell, even the auctions on gunbroker don’t go much over .25 each! Primers are out there. Midway had them a few weeks ago, and will have them again soon hopefully. Sign up for the “notify me” service and then you have to be real quick! I normally don’t let any company save my credit card info, but I do at Midway so I can checkout quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    .50 per primer? I may have had to punch the S.O.B., because laughing in his face just wouldn’t convey what I was feeling! Hell, even the auctions on gunbroker don’t go much over .25 each! Primers are out there. Midway had them a few weeks ago, and will have them again soon hopefully. Sign up for the “notify me” service and then you have to be real quick! I normally don’t let any company save my credit card info, but I do at Midway so I can checkout quick!

Hey, he’s gotta get paid for the time he spent waiting in line or scrolling the inter webs to buy them before the guy that actually wanted to use them, so that guy would have to pay some ridiculous price for them at a gun show!

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I guess things have gotten much worse since the last time I decided to look at gunbroker and laugh at the price of small pistol primers. I just saw an auction for 5 boxes of 100, that was at $200 with 8 hours left! .40 per primer?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Just pulled my inventory of bullets out of the cabinet they were in. Hope the don't blow out the box I load them in. I have a bunch of 40/10 mm bullets I need to sell, seeing I can't remember ever buying dies to reload them with.

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    Two things over the past week: Started fiddling with annealing. Bought a induction bolt heater and made a coil to suit 45 & 30 cal cases. So far so good.

IMG_20201231_182940910.jpg

Second thing was to finish prepping a bunch of 308 and count them up. I've been cataloging my stuff in a piece of software in order to get a better idea of the components I'll have available for upcoming political conditions.

IMG_20201129_204315535.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Damn, that’s a lot of tech for a reloading setup.

I just sat down with a notebook (the paper kind with a little metal spiral) and wrote stuff down.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Loaded up some spare .308 brass with 165 grain PC cast bullets this weekend.
    Using the "THE LOAD" (13 gr. Red Dot) recipe, I plan on shooting these out of my Spanish Mauser next weekend to see how they perform.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Interesting. May not be a bad idea.

I have 2 single stage, 1 turret, and a vice, all mounted on the quick-change plates. Makes limited space much easier to deal with, and much more effective, imho.

I'm 100% an advocate for Inline Fab's quick chnage system. Likewise, I've seen people make their own, DIY versions, with great success. Either way, I don't have a 1500 sqft reloading room. I have 9' x 6', and have to make do with it the way it is.

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    Damn, that’s a lot of tech for a reloading setup.

I just sat down with a notebook (the paper kind with a little metal spiral) and wrote stuff down.

Kinda/sorta but not really. The PC is 11 years old. The software is just a database system (Reloading Studio) made by a pro shooter in Australia.

For me, I run fang-dangled stuff (electronic powder drop & scale, etc.) when I'm trying to do things accurate in bulk (say 20-100 308 rounds). I do like electronic scales, though. Conversely I sometimes just go with a Lee classic loader with a beam scale for some 45/70 'just because'. I have the RCBS rockchucker but I also have a Dillon 650. Just depends on what I'm into so I do all kinds of stuff.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Two things over the past week: Started fiddling with annealing. Bought a induction bolt heater and made a coil to suit 45 & 30 cal cases. So far so good.

View attachment 241365

Second thing was to finish prepping a bunch of 308 and count them up. I've been cataloging my stuff in a piece of software in order to get a better idea of the components I'll have available for upcoming political conditions.

View attachment 241366

VERY cool!!

BUt I've gotta ask, why are you annealing straight walled, pistol cases? especially a low-velocity one, like 45 acp?

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    ...., why are you annealing straight walled, pistol cases? especially a low-velocity one, like 45 acp?

Reduces splits. I do it too.

I did a 3-year test in 2013 on a batch of small primer .45 ACP. I hate these little guys, and I set them as my control brass (no annealing and mainly Federal and Blazer) only lasted on average 9 reloads before failures started emerging. Of course, not all failed, and some manufactures did better than others, but the average was 9 standard reloads before splitting, and bulging started becoming an issue.

I still have .45 ACP brass (that I lightly anneal every session) and they are still going since before 2008. Honestly, I lost count on these but I know for sure some of these are at 15+ reloads (going on 20) using standard Bullseye 230 gr. loads. My biggest failure on these is the base becoming oversized and won't fit in the shell holder, or if they get lost in the sand. I lose about 1 every 100 cases or so nowadays from this batch due to brass failure and at least 5 to the desert sand on a range trip.

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    BUt I've gotta ask, why are you annealing straight walled, pistol cases? especially a low-velocity one, like 45 acp?

Initially it's for me just to practice. I did a few with templac to get the timing and then did it by look & timing. Better to screw up a 45ACP case as opposed to a 45/70. However, I do reload 460 Rowland which is 40,000 psi (250-260gr bullet ~1200 fps) vs 21,000 psi for the 45ACP. I think this will help the Rowland round, and if I get to doing those, I figure I'll do a few 45ACP as well. I don't load to +P, but I figure if I've got the time that it certainly can't hurt. I've still got 10-15 years of practicing before I retire and have nothing better to do!

Top Bottom