• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    XD’s do some things better than Glock. It’s been my experience one of those is accuracy. I understand anyone’s point of view why they think I’m wrong about this next opinion. Gen4 glocks disappoint. I will not mess with another one. Gen 3 all day. The striker indicator breaking is or was a typical issue at 20k rounds but that’s based on hear say. Unless you look at manufacturers fail rates and look at and understand the parts in question, it’s all hear say. I trust my xd with my life. It will always be in my top 3 of grab and go.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I read the first 8 pages, and the last two.

The XD gets a probably unfair amount of hate *mostly* because of hearsay from YouTube personalities and instructors that may or may not be biases toward Glocks.

Some of the early failures that reportedly were common were broken strikers - the cocking indicator part (the back that sticks out when the gun is cocked) was said to snap off easily. The striker retaining pin was supposed to be weak. Supposedly the gun choked a lot (that could be chalked up to improper lubrication more than a poor design, I think)

Me personally - I've owned 4 of the 4 inch service model 9mm, one of the original 5 inch "tactical" pistols, and one subcompact 9mm - all gen 1 XD's. I have not owned an XDM or XDS, or the XDE. My first ever pistol purchase on my 21st birthday was an XD9 "service" model 4 inch.

I found them all to be reliable pistols that shot well, had good ergonomics, and I never had any issues with any of the six that I owned. I will say I'm not acompetition shooter, so I never put tens of thousands of rounds thru my guns. They probably got 500 to 1000 rounds a year, and most got traded or sold off while I was on my quest for the "perfect" carry gun. I can't think of any stoppages that I had with any of my XD's that weren't shooter or ammo related.

The biggest issue for me, and the reason I don't own or carry them anymore was the grip safety. Depending on how you hold a pistol, I found that sometimes the grip safety wasn't deactivating like it should. That lead me to dropping them as a serious use pistol, because under stress even with lots of practice your grip may not be perfect. Likewise, I didn't like that the grip safety would lock the slide up on the XD - a compromised grip not only means you cannot fire the gun if you need to, but you cannot operate the slide to reload or clear a malfunction if necessary. An aftermarket grip safety with a "memory bump" like you can get for a 1911 may negate that issue, but I've never seen one. I'd rather have a frame mounted thumb safety over the grip safety. Or re-design the grip safety to be longer so that it makes more contact with your hand and thus more likely to disengage.

The other issues, at least when the guns were newer - were lack of parts and accessories. Holsters & sights were hard to come by. I used to use Glock 21 holsters for my 9mm XD's, since the XD's are a tad chunky.

I won't knock anyone for shooting or carrying an XD if it works for them. They are good pistols, and honestly the XD9 sub compact is a better shooter for me than the Glock 26. The XD, like the M&P, has far superior ergonomics than the Glock.

I also prefer the metal magazines, the magazine release, and the take down operation of the XD over Glocks. If we're talking range-only guns, I'd rather have an XD over a Glock any day. For serious use - personal defense or a duty weapon, I'd take the Glock every time over an XD just because of the grip safety issues mentioned above. Thankfully there are about 100 other polymer striker fired pistols out there to chose from that share many of the XD's benefits - ergonomics, metal magazines, etc over Glocks and for me, I found the M&P to be well suited for the PDW task.

I will say the XD was also more attractive when it was the new kid on the block, and was a $400 gun vs the $500-600 I've seen them going for now. I missed the HS2000 days - none of my local gunshops had an HS pistol on the shelves until well after Springfield bought the rights. I think I saw my first HS2000 in the flesh sometime around 2010 or 2011.
    I agree on the grip safety issue, not a fan! However I do own 2 XDMs that has never failed.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I have several XDs and shot thousands of rounds through them, and the grip safety has never been an issue...

The biggest difference between the XD and Glocks is the grip angle. The XD mimics the 1911, and is more natural for some (myself included). I find it a lot easier to shoot accurately than Glocks.

And in my opinion, Glock hasn't updated/modernized its designs anywhere near as much Springfield has with the XD...

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Have put many thousand rounds through a subcompact XD, no issues.

But... my 1911s don't jam either so maybe I'm the exception.

Right gun for the job; an M&P resides near my recliner, a FN occupies the nightstand, a S&W mod 29 or Springfield 1911 wanders the pastures with me and the XD is IWB when I leave the property.

Yup, I like them all!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My top three handguns I own that I’m picking up without questioning are my third gen g17, my xd service, and steyr m9.

No surprise with the Steyr - the gentleman primarily behind the design of the Glock 17 was also in charge of designing the M9, as Steyr was able to poach him from Glock. They're very similar pistols in some ways, I think the Steyr has far superior ergonomics. The factory sights on the Steyr are pretty interesting too - I"m surprised that style hasn't caught more traction.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Have put many thousand rounds through a subcompact XD, no issues.

But... my 1911s don't jam either so maybe I'm the exception.

Right gun for the job; an M&P resides near my recliner, a FN occupies the nightstand, a S&W mod 29 or Springfield 1911 wanders the pastures with me and the XD is IWB when I leave the property.

Yup, I like them all!
    Everybody knows- a good 1911 never jams…

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    No surprise with the Steyr - the gentleman primarily behind the design of the Glock 17 was also in charge of designing the M9, as Steyr was able to poach him from Glock. They're very similar pistols in some ways, I think the Steyr has far superior ergonomics. The factory sights on the Steyr are pretty interesting too - I"m surprised that style hasn't caught more traction.
    I want one of those bad ass Styer carbine thingys. Always have. The one with the integrated optic. Lord knows what that looks like. About 10 years ago Had a chance to buy one that accepted std AR15 mags and passed it up. I chickened out at 800.00. Lord only knows what those things are selling for today. I’m a big dummy.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I want one of those bad ass Styer carbine thingys. Always have. The one with the integrated optic. Lord knows what that looks like. About 10 years ago Had a chance to buy one that accepted std AR15 mags and passed it up. I chickened out at 800.00. Lord only knows what those things are selling for today. I’m a big dummy.

Ah, the AUG. Steyr's answer to the 5.56 carbine. The original AUG has the 1X integrated scope you're talking about - later models are flat top picatinny rails and you can mount whatever optic or sights you want. They do have different versions - the original proprietary mag, and one that is STANAG compliant (the one that takes AR mags)

Pretty cool guns, though I think I'd personally go for the Israeli Tavor before the AUG. I like the feature set on the Tavor a bit more.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    issues with the XD:
    It sucks and its an XD
    /thread
    Ok anime boy

Anyone who jacks off to Chinese cartoons doesn't get an opinion.

Between xd9 sub compact, xde, xdm .40 and xdm .45, all have gone bang everytime and garner compliments about group sizes. I had a buddy who was a 92fs fan boy and he hated the looks of the sub compact. After beating him three time in a row on a dueling tree, he shot it and converted. They just work. So do a lot of other guns. Sure I like cz's better but there is nothing wrong with them. Definitely better than any of the m&p's I've owned.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Ok anime boy

Anyone who jacks off to Chinese cartoons doesn't get an opinion.

Between xd9 sub compact, xde, xdm .40 and xdm .45, all have gone bang everytime and garner compliments about group sizes. I had a buddy who was a 92fs fan boy and he hated the looks of the sub compact. After beating him three time in a row on a dueling tree, he shot it and converted. They just work. So do a lot of other guns. Sure I like cz's better but there is nothing wrong with them. Definitely better than any of the m&p's I've owned.
    all I read is cope and seethe about spending money on the Springfield ecks dee.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Hell if I could I would convert all my striker fired handguns to steyr. The sites will throw you off at first but once used to em they are fast and accurate.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill

The biggest issue for me, and the reason I don't own or carry them anymore was the grip safety. Depending on how you hold a pistol, I found that sometimes the grip safety wasn't deactivating like it should. That lead me to dropping them as a serious use pistol, ....
    Was this on all 6 guns or just one of them?

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Was this on all 6 guns or just one of them?
    the XD's grip safety is notorious for being shitty, it makes an UZI or MAT 49's grip safety look like a fine sportscar in comparison, this isnt even mentioning reliability issues and just the generally really bad fit and finish.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    the XD's grip safety is notorious for being shitty, it makes an UZI or MAT 49's grip safety look like a fine sportscar in comparison, this isnt even mentioning reliability issues and just the generally really bad fit and finish.

That's odd, as I've been shooting XDs for over 15 years and have never had a problem with it.

Maybe it's not the grip that's the issue...

aVG7Ei7.gif

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    That's odd, as I've been shooting XDs for over 15 years and have never had a problem with it.

Maybe it's not the grip that's the issue...

aVG7Ei7.gif
    there are people who have been shooting each other with jiminez's and ravens for half a century too, trash is still trash and a sample size of (1) doesnt mean its the bee's knees. You are probably one of those folks who says "I BUY AMERICAN" and yet they carry a gun made in croatia and drive an Eagle Talon which is a rebadged Mitsubishi.

Top Bottom