Capitol Armory ad

What are the common mistakes people make when mounting a scope.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    The FAT Wrench & mini-levels are (cheap) necessities, and I've found this one here to be great for keeping the rifle level during the process...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/537916/ctk-precision-all-purpose-gun-level

Couple other thoughts I hadn't seen mentioned yet are related to scope-mounted levels, uniqueness of body shape related to positioning & scope cant, and a process for fine-tuning the scope level.

I start off with leveling scope-to-rifle using methods stated previously, but once that's done, use a Plum Bob with a neon-bright line hanging a reasonable distance away (~50y +/-, depending on scope) to set a scope-mounted level as true as possible to both reticle and gravity. (after waiting for line to stabilize)

Then - depending on the platform/stock, how it sits in the shoulder (from standing/kneeling/prone), and how close-to-true the original rifle-to-scope leveling is, will adjust scope cant in rings as needed to maintain scope level with rifle/natural point of aim (rifle alignment being secondary). This is super easy given the pre-calibrated scope-mounted level; sometimes no adjustment is needed, sometimes it is...

Here's one I like: https://flatlineops.com/products/levels/recon-34mm

The reasons for these extra steps is that:

1. Rifle cant is largely irrelevant outside of maintaining reasonable vertical alignment of the scope/bore centers - what really matters is proper level/alignment of the reticle with gravity (assuming a quality/functional reticle).

2. Small errors in scope/reticle leveling turn into big misses at-range (if you're never shooting past ~100-200y, this isn't so much of a concern).

3. Various stocks/profiles will fit-up differently, impacting natural-point-of-aim considerations, and this approach helps to accommodate for keeping a level reticle without having to "muscle-it".
    Hurley's Gold

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Amazing I’ve ever hit anything what with mounting my scopes with a plane old Allen wrench and no fancy kits.

I was working on a lot of rifles and those mounting kits did the job so well, that the price was worth it. Spread over many jobs, the kits were cheap!

One thing will never fly..... a come back on a job. Those kits were good insurance that the job was done right. I never trust my eyes to mount a scope. The bubble doesn't lie.

Dawico- I've seen you shoot. Fancy tools aren't going to help you........ Ouch! Snicker...………….

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Amazing I’ve ever hit anything what with mounting my scopes with a plane old Allen wrench and no fancy kits.

I was working on a lot of rifles and those mounting kits did the job so well, that the price was worth it. Spread over many jobs, the kits were cheap!

One thing will never fly..... a come back on a job. Those kits were good insurance that the job was done right. I never trust my eyes to mount a scope. The bubble doesn't lie.

Dawico- I've seen you shoot. Fancy tools aren't going to help you........ Ouch! Snicker...………….

Flash

I use either a plumb bob or level to make a vertical line on a wall to align the cross hairs properly.

Never trusted turret caps to be level and have found that a lot of them aren’t. Not due to a twisted reticle, just due to how the cap itself mounts. It’s the best way I’ve found to level the scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I used to mess with those mini bubble levels but this scope leveling tool made by Arisaka is so much better.
    IMG_0146.jpg

Most quality scopes have a flat bottom under the turrets. If your mounting base is flat too all you gotta do is put the leveling base on the mount and slide the wedge in until it butts up against the flat turret bottom. Easy peasy.

Worked great on my Leupolds and Nightforce. Didn't work on my Aimpoints due to the tube not having a flat bottom. So I still keep a set of bubble levels around, but I try to use the Arisaka wedge first.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
      IMG_0146.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 600
    Top Bottom