Join TexasGunTalk

What are the benefits of being an NRA member?

Discussion in 'Guns Over Texas Radio Show' started by CHRONICcartman, Oct 17, 2015.

1. GMK

GMK New Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Corpus Christi
    I joined a number of years ago. BHO's admin kept me going. Now, I am rethinking, what has the NRA done for us lately. Also, all of the internal problems coming into view. What have they done for us? What rights restored as per the Constitution? I am in the mind to locate a better organization that fights for our rights and wins.

2. roadrunner

roadrunner Well-Known

Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    You may want to have a look at the GOA.

sidebite252 likes this.
  3. GMK

GMK New Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Corpus Christi
    Yes, I already have checked them out.

4. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Take a look at the Second Amendment Foundation. They have brought more successful legal challenges against gun laws in the last decade than anyone else.

5. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I think thye've done a lot more in the last decade than any other org for 2A rights.

TheDan likes this.
  6. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    So where does one find the numbers for this claim?

7. Big Green

Big Green Well-Known

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I support them through the Amazon Smile program. Got an email just today that said Amazon made a quarterly contribution to Second Amendment Foundation for just over $10k. Makes me Smile to know they had to cut that check.

8. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I've been using the Amazon Smile thing for GOA this go'round. Just like you, makes me smile knowing that they cut that check to a Gun Rights organization.

seeker_two and roadrunner like this.
  9. kbaxter60

kbaxter60 Gone Gun Crazy

Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I didn't part ways with them, but I did stop making contributions to the ILA side. We lived in WA state for many years. A few years back, the anti-gun crowd got an initiaive on the ballot (I-594) to REQUIRE an FFL on all transfers, even private sales. They had some big money supporters and they did a lot of mailings to our house in support of I-594. They were slimy. They made them each look like they came from a different group, but if you read the fine print it was the same meddling billionaires. Then they got a NRA Llife member to do an endorsement ad.
    What did the NRA do to fight off this insidious bill? All I ever saw was they ran a "NO" bumper sticker in the American Rifleman. Sure it was something, but amounted to preaching to the choir. I expected them to AT LEAST run a TV ad refuting that life member. I saw ZERO on TV against the bill. No glossy mailer (we probably got six or seven from the pro crowd).
    The initiative passed. You couldn't even GIVE a gun to a family member without running afoul of the law.
    Every time they called me after that, I asked them why they had done so little to keep that crap from passing. A few took time to argue their case. Most are volunteers and just said "yeah, that sucks". I told them to pass it along up the chain. I had thought they would be there if needed, but was sadly disappointed.
    Now, I know they do plenty on the large scale. I am still a member and would recommend them to any shooter. They need to figure out how to do more at the grassroots level, though. These laws get passed one at a time, in one state after another, and pretty soon our rights are gone.
    End of my rant for today.
    Short answer: it's worth the membership just for the American Rifleman magazine. It's well done and they cover lots of guns I might never have looked at otherwise.
    Party on.

MTA89 likes this.
  10. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

I'm a patron member of the NRA. I'm a member for the same reason I have donated to the Trump campaign. You have to put-up or shut-up, and I believe the erosion if the 2A will be the downfall of this nation if we don't stand firmly for it.