• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    The cost of produce in general has always been pretty screwy, depending on how crops nationwide are doing.
    Best bet - grow what you can! Tomatoes and a few other veggies are real easy.
    Fruits? ...well...
    You gotta plant a tree and wait a few years for it to mature before you can start reaping those benefits. The sooner you plant one though, the better.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    The cost of citrus is through the roof. I got an orange and a grapefruit and it was like $2.50 ... the orange is pretty big though.

Supply and Demand is the answer....... the supply of domestic citrus in the summer is very limited.... hence the high price..... buy fruits that are in season (high supply means lower prices usually).... summer is traditionally soft fruit season (peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries,etc)....The season for domestic citrus is late fall/winter..
    and just like Mexican Hippie mentioned... inflation and high fuel prices does not help.....

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    The cost of citrus is through the roof. I got an orange and a grapefruit and it was like $2.50 ... the orange is pretty big though.

I'm still pulling juicy oranges off the Washington navel tree in my front yard...yum, yum!!! My recommendation for you is to plant...plant...plant....

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    A few years ago The Nightly Business Report stated there is currently a disease plaguing all American orange crops, causing many oranges to develop nasty looking black spots. It's currently believed the disease is incurable.

The oranges are still completely edible, but since no one will buy them with that appearance they are only suitable for making orange juice. So now you can add the cost of employing people to sort through the oranges and toss them in different containers to your orange budget.

Also, banana trees are typically considered weeds in Texas, as they absolutely must be kept from freezing for a few years to make any fruit. Unless you have a greenhouse, the odds are very low they will produce. And miniatures typically don't make very much fruit, so that's not a very good alternative.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've had a few orange, lemon, and lime trees for the last 3 years. Water them at least every other day and they'll be fine. This is no more of a hassle than what is required for 95% of all food producing plants not native to this region.

PocketGroove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    DFW
    Fruit juice is just sugar...Actual fruit, at least adds some fiber.
    This is why i drink good beer for my carbohydrates. ;)

There is no such thing as a "balanced" diet. The food guide pyramid, or whatever else agenda Michelle Obama wants to push, is a joke. My ancestors come from Ireland...ya think they ate multiple servings of fruits and leafy green vegetables everyday....year round...even through the winter? I don't think so, the earth freezes and we are able to eat accordingly.

Top Bottom