Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But it is near impossible to lose excess fat while consuming more calories then you are burning
    Basically, yeah. I agree. That's not true in every case; some of my best weight loss happened when I increased my caloric intake. Generally, though, you're right.

But what chaps my butt (and best illustrates how that model is broken for many people) is how easy it is to pack on excess fat while consuming fewer calories. It's possible to simultaneously cut way back on calories and radically increase weight gain if you screw around with other factors at the same time. There are plenty of new diabetics who have been prescribed Actos who can attest to that.

The whole "calories in, calories out" frame of reference is terribly flawed for folks with serious problems yet for people who are basically healthy it usually works beautifully. Moving oneself from the former group to the latter, however, is so f'ing difficult that most such people try all their lives, fail repeatedly, and die without ever succeeding.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Basically, yeah. I agree. That's not true in every case; some of my best weight loss happened when I increased my caloric intake. Generally, though, you're right.

But what chaps my butt (and best illustrates how that model is broken for many people) is how easy it is to pack on excess fat while consuming fewer calories. It's possible to simultaneously cut way back on calories and radically increase weight gain if you screw around with other factors at the same time. There are plenty of new diabetics who have been prescribed Actos who can attest to that.

The whole "calories in, calories out" frame of reference is terribly flawed for folks with serious problems yet for people who are basically healthy it usually works beautifully. Moving oneself from the former group to the latter, however, is so f'ing difficult that most such people try all their lives, fail repeatedly, and die without ever succeeding.
    About 3 months ago, I went from 2600 calories or so up to 3000 a day
    And I lost about 3 lbs in 10 days, so yes it does happen. I believe the body adjust to the new fuel intake and cranks up all systems to 100% capacity thinking ...wow this is great, I have all the fuel I need!

But sadly that is not a sustainable way to lose weight.

After a few weeks, my body adjusted to the calorie increase and I started to see the scale move back up slowly, which is what I wanted.

I did notice that I had way more energy in the gym with the increased glycogen levels and I generally felt better after a hard workout.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    As I've indicated before, I'm little over 6'1" and 160 lbs. at this time. Eleven years ago when I retired, I weighed about 215 lbs. but it was "mostly" muscle because I worked out with the coaches in the weight room every day of the week. Below is a picture about a month before I retired.
    164182-e3c18e48e1b3dbbee59d0445f8ed5098.jpg

Attachments

• Retirement 2009.jpg
      Retirement 2009.jpg
      14.8 KB · Views: 351
    • 164182-e3c18e48e1b3dbbee59d0445f8ed5098.jpg
      164182-e3c18e48e1b3dbbee59d0445f8ed5098.jpg
      14.8 KB · Views: 422

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Dropped 55 lbs on Keto and hit a plato. Wife switched me to Mederitarian Diet. Down 15 lbs in 3 weeks. Also been 100+ lately and I’m not to hungry after a hot day.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I dropped 30lb and plateaued. It’s frustrating as hell trying to lose weight when you’re older and diabetic.

I’ve been on a restricted calorie diet and 2 sessions of moderate cardio a day. It’s extremely discouraging but I’m sticking with it. It took a while to put the weight on, it’s going to take time to get it off. What complicates things is the need to manage glucose.

I have to remind myself that minor weight fluctuations are to be expected. At my age, edema is common and water weighs quite a bit.

Last edited:

LTEC077

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2019
    Cibolo
    I went from 240lbs to 186lbs after separating from the service... I did it mostly by gradual cardio working my way up and caloric deficit of my daily intake. Nothing hardcore like counting every calorie. Just ballpark estimates. Ate high protein, no soft drinks, very little sugars, lots of vegetables. It took me a total of 4 months... first part and the routine was the most difficult part. At the beginning me having low calorie made my energy levels plummet. Once my body adjusted, it was easier to do everything and once the routine was set in place and the motivation was clear it was all downhill from there. Never saw any change in the mirror, the only way I noticed differences was my waist and pant sizes going down. Feels great, for those of you thinking... maybe tomorrow, or you can't, you can... Trust me!!!

bowjunky39$

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2020
    Dallas
    310lbs back in June. 237 this morning.
    I am 6'4. Doctor told me I needed to lower cholesterol. He suggested I eliminate carbs, sugar, and any food that spent time in a deep fryer. I work on an oil rig, that is 95% of the food served. I bit the bullet and did it. Also walk 3-5 miles a day on the helideck and do 300 push-ups a day as well as 200 crunches. I am currently waiting for my latest bloodwork. I suspect my cholesterol will be lower.
    If it isn't, I am going to get a bucket of Popeye's fried chicken, a quart of red beans and rice, a pecan pie with a half gallon of Amy's Ice Cream and a fifth of bourbon and imbibe until I puke.

Have not had a beer in 5 months.
    That is awesome!!!

Top Bottom