• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    You want to start reloading or just watch. Lot of us here reload and can really help you on your way. It is one heck of a fun hobby.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I recently moved here from CA and am still building/fixing lots of stuff around the house yet. I have not had a chance to build a work bench or the time to do any reloading. So hopefully someone else will respond that is better prepared. If not, let me know and we can work something out.

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do want to start reloading, for now just 9mm Lugar for Taurus and S&W. Have not yet settled on equipment so will appreciate pros and cons as well.
    I don't mind a drive that's not more than a 100 miles or so. I'm in Carrollton, near the Gorge Bush and I-35.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    My shop is at 121 and 820 in Richland Hills and I'm usually loading every weekday afternoon. 9mm, .45 acp, 44 mag, .223, 7mm-08, .308, 45-70 and .338 Lapua. I've got single stage, turret and progressive presses, beam scales, electronic scales, auto powder measures, manual powder measures, factory trim equipment and some of my own designs. Your welcome to come by and get an idea on where you want to start with a good representation of the equipment out there. It's a new location, so I'm not setup too pretty just yet, but it's all up and rolling anyway.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You won't learn much watching ... just jump out there and do it on someone's equipment. Load a few rounds, then reset all the dies ... the setup is the hardest part to reloading. It just takes a few cycles of the whole process and you'll be laughing at ammo prices the next time you are out there because that Dillon at home pumps em out at half the price.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I felt the same way you do when I first decided to reload for metallic cartridges. A good friend of mine who is an experienced re-loader told me the best way to get started was to buy a reliable reloading manual. I bought the Sierra Reloading Manual (5th addition). My friend told me that it was better to read the manual step by step prior to beginning my reloading. His reason was that the manual was based on reliable industry knowledge. If you watch someone they may or may not reload "by the book". The manual will describe all of the aspects of the cartridge you plan to reload. It will explain what each step in reloading is and how to properly do it safely. I have been around guns since I was a teenager, I am now 63 years old. I was the Armorer for my company, and Battalion Weapons Inspector while I was in the Army. Reading the Sierra Manual enlightened me to things I did not know about ammunition and the reloading of ammunition. I bought the Sierra manual, but there are many others available.
    I reload .45 ACP on a Dillion Square Deal B progressive press and rifle cartridges on an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press.
    That being said, I live in east Richardson. If you still want hands on experience with reloading, I would be willing to help you with the basics.
    Reloading is a very satisfying hobby. I get great satisfaction from shooting dime size groups at the range with bullets that I build in my garage.

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Oldvet, you're a bit closer than Richland Hills.. I'll Amazon for the Sierra Manual and get a copy before bothering you. I'll get back to you shortly to work out a time to come to your place. Thanks for the offer as well as the reference.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I thought the same thing when I first started. I read ABC's of Reloading a couple times, bought a Lee Classic turret press starter kit, the Speer manual (on the shelf at Walmart) a couple times, and thought I still needed to see it in action with someone who knew that they were doing before I was ready.

My press sat in the box for almost a year while I tried to find someone who would show me the ropes. Finally I just got tired of waiting, and sat in my garage for a couple hours, reading each step a few times, then just doing it. Read a step, do that step. It took me about 45 min to load my first round of .223. But it wasn't cosmic, or mind blowing or anything. It's actually pretty easy. If I can do it, anyone can.

I strongly recommend both books, by the way. If I could do it over, I'd choose a different press, but I've got it and it works just fine.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I guarantee any quality manual you buy will give you the knowledge you will need to get started reloading. Reloading could be dangerous if you do not take the proper steps. I recommend that you:
    1. Do not smoke while reloading.
    2. Store your powder in a safe and dry place away from where you keep your primers.
    3. Start you powder loads in the middle of the range shown in the reloading charts.
    4. Make sure you either weigh each powder load or get a good powder dispenser that will throw consistent powder loads. I use the RCBS powder dispenser, and weigh random loads during the reloading session just to be safe.
    5. Keep you work area clean and free of clutter.
    6. Make sure you separate your primers (by weapon type, i.e large pistol/small rifle)) and powders (i.e. pistol/rifle) , if you plan to reload multiple calibers. I have heard that some people will use a large pistol primer in a large caliber rifle bullet, but I go by "the book".

Reloading is a fun and safe hobby if you pay attention and follow the rules. I have loaded several thousands of rounds over the years. I still have all of my fingers and both eyes. The worst thing that has happened to me is a couple of 45 rounds that didn't get powder. The primer in a 45 shell will launch the bullet when hit by the firing pin, but the bullet will usually not leave the barrel. Luckily the primer only discharge makes an abnormal sound which alerted me that something was wrong. Firing another round in a firearm with a stuck bullet is a bad thing for the shooter and the weapon. This is one of the reason ranges will not let people rapid fire at their range. Get your manual. Read all the information in the front section and if you still want to watch let me know.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I think the two biggest problems are:
    1) Double charge
    2) No powder (as old vet pointed out)

I run a single stage press. Meaning I decide how many I want to do at a time...say 100. Then I do each stage with all 100. So at the end of the powder loading stage, you can visually check to make sure that all the levels are roughly the same.

As a secondary precaution, I try to use powders that result in a charge being greater than 1/2 the case volume. Then any double charges are easy to see as the powder will overflow the case.

As long as you are running a single stage press, that is really your biggest concern.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    the title of this thread reads like an ad in penthouse forum.

;) couldnt resist.

"i never though tit would happen to me....."

Top Bottom