• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    One thing you might want to consider is his age. No sense in getting him started & spending money on something that one the testosterone kicks in nothing else matters. I seen & heard many a friend tell me what great kids they have until nature runs it's cross.
    Yep, I pretty much quit shooting once I started driving, didn't take it up again until years later, lol.
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think he might be interested in the bench rest rifle shooting, but with him being a very active athletic kid he might like the multi gun matches. I will ask him about it at dinner tonight.
    What did he say?

And if the subject hasn't come up, why not just send him this link and ask him to look at all the videos on that page? Given the way young men seem to consume YT these days, that may be a way to get him to think about the whole idea.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I think he might be interested in the bench rest rifle shooting, but with him being a very active athletic kid he might like the multi gun matches. I will ask him about it at dinner tonight.

If he chooses 3 gun welcome to the money pit. Trust me I know this for a fact

For a shotgun look at the stoegor m3k. Good starter gun. I have 2 built by MOA.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2018
    US
    We did have a short conversation about it. He seemed slightly interested in 3 gun competition, but then backtracked saying there wouldn't be anywhere close to where we live to practice for that style of competition.
    I do have a gun range where I work, and we are getting a membership at a new range that is run by our Matagorda county serve outdoors, that is less than 5 minutes from the house. I'm still thinking maybe bench rifle comp may be a possibility. Thank you for the link I will send it to him and discuss it with him more. I am also talking to my 14 year old about it. He is also active in school sports, football basketball track, and just started getting into paintball.

Thanks again
    M.J.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    We did have a short conversation about it. He seemed slightly interested in 3 gun competition, but then backtracked saying there wouldn't be anywhere close to where we live to practice for that style of competition.
    I do have a gun range where I work, and we are getting a membership at a new range that is run by our Matagorda county serve outdoors, that is less than 5 minutes from the house. I'm still thinking maybe bench rifle comp may be a possibility. Thank you for the link I will send it to him and discuss it with him more. I am also talking to my 14 year old about it. He is also active in school sports, football basketball track, and just started getting into paintball.

Thanks again
    M.J.
    I'd start him in USPSA. Have him practice by dry firing.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Is there any way he could take up tennis instead? It’s a much more rational hobby. Hey Metal Detecting is a blast and real cheap. Few hundred for the gizmo and batteries occasionally. Find cool artifacts and buried treasure. There ya go. Kindly see if he might enjoy that and report back. Thanks

njrefugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    Given his athletic interests, perhaps he would enjoy a Run 'n Gun Biathlon style competition. There are several in Texas this spring. Any rifle and pistol will work, so no high $ gear to buy. Some info:
    https://www.texasrunandgun.com
    https://www.wtfbiathlon.com
    In the Houston area, there are a bunch of these events hosted by Impact Run n Gun. They don't have a website, but are on FB. Impact tends to have some really interesting events, like a nighttime shoot, a 22 only event, etc. Great people and very welcoming to teens. The Match Director there has a daughter about 17 and she has been competing for a few years. Very impressive young lady and tough as nails.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Is there any way he could take up tennis instead? It’s a much more rational hobby. Hey Metal Detecting is a blast and real cheap. Few hundred for the gizmo and batteries occasionally. Find cool artifacts and buried treasure. There ya go. Kindly see if he might enjoy that and report back. Thanks
    Are you ok?
    You seem lost and confused.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2018
    US
    Did you eat alot of paint chips as a kid?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2018
    US
    Yes lead paint was popular for baby beds back in my day. Just trying to help the young buck develop some kinda rational low cost hobby.
    You make a good point.
    Between Fishing, hunting, football, basketball, Baseball, track, golf, his truck, chasing girls, video games my boys do cost me some $$money$$ .
    Maybe I shouldn't add another expensive hobby to the list.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Put his butt to work. :)

I see baseball and basketball on your list. We are in desperate need of umpires and referees in both of those sports. I earned a fair amount of play money as a teen umpiring Little League baseball and it's something I still do today. It was an awesome side job as a teen who loved the ball field. OK recruiting pitch over.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2018
    US
    Thanks for the tip. we will definitely look into this. Sounds like something he would be interested in and good at.

Being as involved in school sports as much as my boys are they don't have much time for a real job during the school year. My 16 yr old definitely will be getting a summer job this summer, and my 14 yr old wants to find some work too, maybe mowing yards or something, until he gets a license and a truck like his older brother. They are good smart kids.
    2018-11-27 02.03.53.png
    2018-11-25 23.42.41.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-11-27 02.03.53.png
      2018-11-27 02.03.53.png
      650.2 KB · Views: 429
    • 2018-11-25 23.42.41.jpg
      2018-11-25 23.42.41.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 430

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Lot of money in landscaping. Old chum who was an air traffic controller got himself fired by Reagan in the 80s. Found he was middle aged and unemployed. He had a mower in the garage and the lady next door let him borrow her electric weed eater. He started mowing yards on his block. Within a few years he had a fleet of trucks with undocumented democrats doing the work. Built a million dollar house and is now a rich old retired guy. Passed the business off to his son.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Lot of money in landscaping.
    30 years ago, the 12-year-old kid across the street from me offered to mow my lawn weekly for $20. Pretty soon, he had half the houses in our small neighborhood and had sub-contracted the labor to other, younger kids in the neighborhood. He used his cut to buy equipment and supplies. His labor consisted of using his bike to haul a small trailer with mowers, gas, trimmers, and bags, all to keep his subs supplied with the tools they needed to earn their $5 per lawn.

He continued to grow the business as he went to a nearby college, got some sort of business degree, married, went through a dozen nice cars and fast bikes, and lived a very good life for a young man.

Today? A week doesn't go by that I don't see more than one of his F-250s with his signage on the side, hauling a trailer full of equipment and filled up with (home-grown, I'm sure:)) workers. They're all over this part of town.

"Money in landscaping" is an understatement.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Any tips on where to start? Any competitions in the Houston /Victoria area?

He has an AR. 16" stag with 1-4× scope
    He is getting a pistol soon. Glock by Taran tactical.
    Looking for a competition style shotgun still.

Thanks,
    M.J.
    Any particular reason on him going with Taran Tactical? They are nice but overpriced.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom