• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thedaringdragoon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2018
    DFW
    Finally went to my first gun show out here in DFW. Premier in Mesquite. Lots of Firearm vendors which was awesome but it seemed that there were virtually no vendors selling bulk ammo. Is that not a thing out here or was that just not the right show? Just curious as in my previous state of residence I liked to stock up up on range and plinking ammo at shows to save on shipping.
    Hurley's Gold

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    The gun shows I've been to always have the ammo in a separate cordoned off area. And you have to exit the show from the ammo area, you are not allowed to carry it back into the show. Maybe you missed it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Over the decades, there have been lots of workarounds. I can remember one vendor displaying empty ammo boxes and selling people a claim ticket. You then went out to the parking lot and drove over to the guy sitting in the back of a U-Haul. You'd give him the ticket and he'd load your vehicle with your purchases.

Lots of strange things happen, depending on local customs.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Over the decades, there have been lots of workarounds. I can remember one vendor displaying empty ammo boxes and selling people a claim ticket. You then went out to the parking lot and drove over to the guy sitting in the back of a U-Haul. You'd give him the ticket and he'd load your vehicle with your purchases.

Lots of strange things happen, depending on local customs.

I like that idea.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    I've bought ammo at the gun shows, but TBH, the prices weren't that great. I bought a few boxes of Magtech 9mm FMJ at the last one I went to and the prices were decent, but not great by any stretch. I just saw it and needed a few boxes and was there. And I bought it in the show and walked around with it. No cordoned off area or anything.

Best bet, as others have mentioned, is looking online for the ammo deals. Check out ammoseek.com.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The gun shows I've been to always have the ammo in a separate cordoned off area. And you have to exit the show from the ammo area, you are not allowed to carry it back into the show. Maybe you missed it.

You in the Killeen/Belton/Temple/Ft Hood area? That is the only place where I've ever seen ammo in a separate area of the gun show. In SA, there are ammo vendors at the SAXET show; but as folks have stated, lugging large boxes of the stuff out of the show can be a pain...

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Weird. Never seen such a thing. Not in Texas, not in Colorado.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Finally went to my first gun show out here in DFW. Premier in Mesquite. Lots of Firearm vendors which was awesome but it seemed that there were virtually no vendors selling bulk ammo. Is that not a thing out here or was that just not the right show? Just curious as in my previous state of residence I liked to stock up up on range and plinking ammo at shows to save on shipping.

Ammo is prohibited at the Big Town gun show in Mesquite.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Ammo is prohibited at the Big Town gun show in Mesquite.

Since when? I've bought lots of ammo there.

I always wear a big backpack in to haul my stuff around in. But I wait until its time to go to buy bulk packs.

Dallas Reloaders, which has been to almost every Mesquite show I've been to has good prices on 223 SPs.

The ammo dealers are mixed in with every one else, and never together.

Last edited:

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas

I always wear a big backpack in to haul my stuff around in. But I wait until its time to go to buy bulk packs.

Dallas Reloaders, which has been to almost every Mesquite show I've been to has good prices on 223 SPs.

Was about to say the exact same thing. I've bought ammo there and at the FW show. Been a few years at Mesquite and maybe this is something new.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here

The ammo dealers are mixed in with every one else, and never together.

It has been a few years since I have been there. If I remember correctly it was a city ordinance that prohibited ammo there.

I guess that I should get up to date before commenting.

Top Bottom