• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My laptop isn't the fastest thing despite having a i5 processor and 8Gb of RAM. To top it off, I got it secondhand (refurbished, bought it off Amazon) and the Windows 10 license apparently decided to expire about a year after I got the thing (not too happy about that, but I can't return it now). I can still use most features on windows, but that stupid "Activate Windows" watermark is permanently on my screen. I decided I wanted to try Linux and so I downloaded Linux Mint Cinnamon and set up dual boot so that I can switch between Windows 10 and Linux at will.

I like it, I like it a LOT. It's sleeker and faster, but still has that familiar Windows layout. Start up takes nowhere near as long, and everything just seems snappier. The fact that something like this is completely free is mind boggling. I plan on eventually upgrading my cheap HDD to an good SSD, so I'll probably stick with just Linux when I do that.
    Gun Zone Deals

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    My laptop isn't the fastest thing despite having a i5 processor and 8Gb of RAM. To top it off, I got it secondhand (refurbished, bought it off Amazon) and the Windows 10 license apparently decided to expire about a year after I got the thing (not too happy about that, but I can't return it now). I can still use most features on windows, but that stupid "Activate Windows" watermark is permanently on my screen. I decided I wanted to try Linux and so I downloaded Linux Mint Cinnamon and set up dual boot so that I can switch between Windows 10 and Linux at will.

I like it, I like it a LOT. It's sleeker and faster, but still has that familiar Windows layout. Start up takes nowhere near as long, and everything just seems snappier. The fact that something like this is completely free is mind boggling. I plan on eventually upgrading my cheap HDD to an good SSD, so I'll probably stick with just Linux when I do that.

Try Ubuntu, even more user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    You could also try Linux Mint XFCE, that's what I'm running. XFCE is lighter on system resources (not much eye candy). Mint is based off of Ubuntu.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Are we still talking about when it will officially be "the year of the Linux desktop?" No? ;)

(inside joke)

Linux is everywhere, and it works beautifully. Support is better, faster, and simpler than Windows since a quick Google search will usually turn up exact step by step help (vs. having to call and talk to someone in some overseas Windows Support helpdesk). Glad you're enjoying it too!

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I installed the Alpha version of Ubuntu 6.06 in April or May of '06, and have been using Linux as my primary desktop ever since. I usually use Debian with the Cinnamon desktop, which works quite well if you're wiling to tweak a bit. Cinnamon is feature-full but fairly lightweight.
    Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning, "Can't configure Debian!"

Eli

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    I've dabbled with Linux a bit. In fact, I have an older desktop that I'm trying to install it on. For some reason, it isn't taking. I'm tempted to put it on one of my laptops but haven't committed yet.

Is there a decent version of Linux for smartphones? I have a couple of older smartphones that I'd like to turn into mini Linux tablets.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is there a decent version of Linux for smartphones? I have a couple of older smartphones that I'd like to turn into mini Linux tablets.
    A lot of ink has been spilled over the aborted attempts made to create phone and tablet Linux versions. I suppose it can be done since Android is based on the Linux kernel but it always turns out to be much harder than anticipated.

For now, it seems that getting an Android device to look/feel/act like a miniature Linux computer is an undertaking that remains in the realm of "things Linux geeks play with for fun." If it were for the casual or new user, I'd already be there. :)

In fact, I already tried to go there, documenting my efforts here on TGT. I started off by bragging that I had ordered the new-and-boy-is-it-going-to-be-fantastic Jolla tablet. That little saga ended when, much to my shock, they actually refunded my money because they had been forced to admit they never really intended to make the product they had advertised.

The most prominent current effort in this field, AFAIK, is the Librem 5 smartphone from Purism. They got all the crowdfunding they sought back in 2017. Since then, they've mostly just repeatedly announced that the delivery date is being pushed back again. Currently projected for delivery in the 3rd quarter of 2019, my attitude is "I'll believe it when I see it."

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've been using Linux for about 15 years now and love it. Ubuntu is a great option for getting something to work as close to Windows/OSX as possible. I still use Windows quite a bit, but with dual-booting, I get the best of both worlds. More than likely, TGT is running on a Linux server.

Top Bottom