• ...and so much more!
  • garodrig1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Austin
    In one of your radio shows you had mentioned that a common way to have
    a negligent discharge is by un-holstering and re holstering the
    pistol. Basically people need to leave the gun alone until you need it.

My question: what about those people who can not carry and must disarm
    before going to work?

In my case, since I work at a university here in Austin, Texas, I can
    not legally carry in the building (I carry a Glock 19 with a chambered round). I may leave the pistol in the car
    though.However that requires me to handle my pistol (place it in the glove box etc) every time I get
    to and leave work.

Would you recommend buying a pistol to carry in a pocket holster (like
    the Kahr cm9) and instead of removing the pistol from the holster,
    you remove the holster and pistol together, making a less chance for a discharge?

Or is there another consideration?

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    My CC holsters from Comp-Tac all have belt clips and I just take the holster w/gun off my belt and lock it in the glove box.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've heard the same thing about holstering. In my opinion, life is full of dangerous moments. If you can't get rid of them, then focus on safely getting through them. When my hand is on my gun, my focus is completly on my hand, where it is on the gun, and what the gun is doing. I think the issues start coming when you allow yourself to get too comfortable.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    i've heard the same thing about holstering. In my opinion, life is full of dangerous moments. If you can't get rid of them, then focus on safely getting through them. When my hand is on my gun, my focus is completly on my hand, where it is on the gun, and what the gun is doing. I think the issues start coming when you allow yourself to get too comfortable.

Sent from my sgh-s959g using tapatalk 2

this^^^^^^^^^^^

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In one of your radio shows you had mentioned that a common way to have
    a negligent discharge is by un-holstering and re holstering the
    pistol. Basically people need to leave the gun alone until you need it.

My question: what about those people who can not carry and must disarm
    before going to work?

In my case, since I work at a university here in Austin, Texas, I can
    not legally carry in the building (I carry a Glock 19 with a chambered round). I may leave the pistol in the car
    though.However that requires me to handle my pistol (place it in the glove box etc) every time I get
    to and leave work.

Would you recommend buying a pistol to carry in a pocket holster (like
    the Kahr cm9) and instead of removing the pistol from the holster,
    you remove the holster and pistol together, making a less chance for a discharge?

Or is there another consideration?

What kind of holster you using? Also you should get some sort of secured safe/box for your vehicle.

Yes, holstering/unholstering is potentially dangerous IF you don't do it safely, so is hammering a nail, walking down the street and on and on.

Welcome to the board, you should come to lunch.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When my hand is on my gun, my focus is completly on my hand, where it is on the gun, and what the gun is doing. I think the issues start coming when you allow yourself to get too comfortable.

^^^ This sums it up PERFECTLY. I personally do not think the action alone makes it more likely an ND will occur. It is the complacency and lack of attention at what one is doing, that does it. Basically, every time I touch a firearm, my focus is drawn to that and it becomes the single most important thing in the world to me at that moment. For a lot of people, that might sound like a big hassle, but in practice it's a subtle difference in priorities that has serious implications. For example, talking to friends at the range. For me, talking is secondary, and while I may be carrying on a conversation, primarily I am focused on handling firearms or watching others that are. Walk and chew gum, but don't let the chewing of the gum walk you right into an oncoming train. ;)

I take my gun off (holster and all) occasionally at work in certain circumstances, but in a very focused and calculated manner that leaves no possibility of anything ever occurring. It's not hard, it's a matter of focus, attention to detail, and awareness of your surroundings.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    i pull out my 45 out of my holster and put it in the pouch full of junk behind the passenger seat, pointing it at the car full of orphan children parked next to me.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    No one else shares my concern the gun is being left in glove box?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Whats he supposed to do? Take it inside? He may be in a situation like me-I can't find any good spots to bolt down a lock box or even strap one in. So I lock my doors and be mindful of where I park. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not alone with this.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

I agree. If it were me, I would be looking to use a compact gun safe that's cabled/bolted to the car, and preferably stored where it is not visible and hidden from someone that might break in and ransack the vehicle for "free" stuff.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

I share your concern with that. But I have more concern that anybody has to leave a firearm unattended in their vehicle. Even in a lockbox. When I have to go into a place like the post office or a courtroom, etc., my weapon is in a lockbox in a hidden location and my truck is parked in a highly visible area where hopefully, security can see it, or I can. But even with that, and a few others tricks, there is still a real possibility of my truck getting broken into. Or worse yet, stolen. And been through the former before, it sucks.

Now to the original question. As had been said by others, when I do have to unholster or re holster my sidearm, that is where my Entire focus lies. I mean, Megan Fox could be walking directly towards me, completely nekkid, and I'd never see it. I CAN'T. My weapon is the source and focus of my life until it is re holstered in a safe manner. The same when I put it on in the morning, and take it off at night.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I know I'll catch some flack here, but this is really only an issue with Glocks and similar pistols. Hammer, long trigger pull. You usually are good to go. Consider this for your CCW if you constantly are holstering, unholstering, carrying without a holster, dinking around with it trying to hide it in your car... Just don't be careless.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've heard the same thing about holstering. In my opinion, life is full of dangerous moments. If you can't get rid of them, then focus on safely getting through them. When my hand is on my gun, my focus is completly on my hand, where it is on the gun, and what the gun is doing. I think the issues start coming when you allow yourself to get too comfortable.

Problem is that doing this twice a day as part of your routine, it's hard not to become complacent.

Just take the whole holster off.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I leave a gun in the car if i have to. Its tucked away in a lock box and i park in well lit/high traffic areas.

Yes a determined thief will still get it but most likely they won't know its there and won't be interested in my car, if they break the window my alarm goes off, if they really are that determined to stick around and work on my lock box in front of others, in the light then they are insane (yes they are out there). Gun in the glove box is gone in a hurry. Smash pop lock and grab (not a dance move).

+1 for those of you with actually safes and gun vaults mounted in your rides. I need to check into that.

Top Bottom