Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well you should clarify that as one of the suits has failed the other I think 2 are still in court.
    As far as I know, no suit has failed. Only the initial move to get a temporary restraining order in federal district court has failed. That failure is in the cause of action cited in the link I provided, i.e. the combined cases of FPC v. Whitaker and Guedes v. BATFE.

There's still time to get a restraining order on appeal but I'm betting that's unlikely.

I took my rifle to a gunsmith today and dropped it off. I'll pay for the removal of the stock, thus beginning the paper trail of my expenses incurred to comply with the new regulation. If the TRO is obtained, I'm out a few bucks and I'll hang onto my stock. If the TRO is not obtained before the deadline, I will surrender the stock at the local ATF field office and get a receipt.

In that case, I'm thinking long term. If the side of the angels loses, I'm out a few bucks but the ATF will have my stock and I need not fear prosecution. If we ultimately win, I can go back to the ATF and ask for my stock back. If they've destroyed it, I will have the documentation necessary to take them to small claims court and ask for compensation for my time, expenditures for compliance, and the value of the stock.

Whether that could be of any real-world utility I tend to doubt. Still, I'd be tickled to have a judgement against the ATF. (Yes, I know the hurdles required to sue the government. I got sued plenty before I retired so I've been down this road, albeit from the other direction, several times in the past.)

As of now, this whole thing could go any number of directions. I'm just trying to envision them all and prepare myself to deal, legally, with any foreseeable outcome.
    ARJ Defense ad

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    They are not banned yet. They still have to propose for notice for a rule to ban them. He says he remains committed to the rule of law. I don't think you will be able to file a lawsuit till the rule gets published for comment.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They are not banned yet. They still have to propose for notice for a rule to ban them. He says he remains committed to the rule of law. I don't think you will be able to file a lawsuit till the rule gets published for comment.
    You're a little behind. The comment period ended a long time ago. The analysis was published. The final rule was authored and published in the Federal Register. Multiple lawsuits were immediately filed. The two major suits got combined and they failed to get over their first hurdle, getting a TRO, yesterday or the day before.

Absent a very quick appeals court action in our favor, the new regs go into effect on March 26.

All this has been covered in excruciating detail in various TGT threads over the last year or so. If you want me to look them up for you and post links, I'll be happy to do so.

Absent a court order, a rifle with a bump stock legally becomes a machine gun in 28 days. Ownership of just the bump stock becomes the legal equivalent of owning an unregistered DIAS in 28 days. Either way, the risk is a $250K fine and 10 years in federal prison.

Those of us who own bump stocks really need to be in the final planning stages right now.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    In that case, I'm thinking long term. If the side of the angels loses, I'm out a few bucks but the ATF will have my stock and I need not fear prosecution. If we ultimately win, I can go back to the ATF and ask for my stock back. If they've destroyed it, I will have the documentation necessary to take them to small claims court and ask for compensation for my time, expenditures for compliance, and the value of the stock.

That would be hilarious if 200K people did this, then it got reversed. At a minimum it would a news-worthy item and kind of funny to think of the ARF having to reimburse 200K people for a $128 item, plus court and attorney fees, which would be well in excess of the $128 bump stock cost.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Don't turn them in. If everyone who has one stands up against this by not giving them up, it may be the push we need. Show them our rights are more important than their feelings. It's time for some we the people shit.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I want my kids and grandkids to be able to buy something other than a single shot 22.

While I agree with you 100%......

I do have to observe that I was never ever a better stalker and hunter than when I was 15 years old and had but one .22 round at my avail.

I have a couple (or 5) Ruger #1 rifles for exactly that primal emotional recall.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    they do not care if you turn them in.

They will be used as add on charges to turn you into a felon aka no guns or vote for you.

Don't turn them in. If everyone who has one stands up against this by not giving them up, it may be the push we need. Show them our rights are more important than their feelings. It's time for some we the people shit.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Well, it's true. The Dems/libs have shown us this works.

Federal law: illegal to possess MJ. More illegal to deal in it. Felony for possession over a certain amount with intent to distribute.

Reponse: I'll open a head shop with hours posted in one of 11 states (or whatever) and dare the DEA to come seize my money and my property and jail me forever. I even have the local and state governments who don't care and won't help them.

Federal response: Meh, okay. Guess we'll let it slide and not enforce the law (Funny, "LEO" used to mean "LAW ENFORCEMENT officer".

Perhaps if enough people ignore the law like the pot smokers, then the ATF will act like the DEA and just chose to ignore it.

Or not.

Other point: This shows how arbitrary and powerful the ATF is. Just imagine (fear) a dem in control of the ATF. They can outlaw just about anything...without passing a law. Maybe rifles over 3lbs will be considered military grade next. Maybe pistols over .21 caliber. 14lb trigger requirement. Bolt action only. Pastel or rainbow colors required. Microstamping bullets, cases, and primers. And maybe powder too, while we're at it. Laser engrave the grains of powder. Bullet registration. Annual ownership licensing fees. Property tax on the guns you own. Hit a little LSD and just let your mind expand to all of the possible overreaches of government, baby. Yeahhhhh.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Unintended consequences, prove Trump is as*hole about the 2nd Amendment. He is old and that old dog can't learn new tricks. He is a product of NYC and thinks he knows what everyone else knows. He does not know sh*t and does not want to.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Pot is being legalized for many reasons, one of which, if you're stoned you are more compliant to law changes. Gun owners may get in the way of radical changes. So, I wouldn't count on laws easing up on firearms unless the government turns more constitutional.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom