• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    What is involved in putting a lift kit on a pick up? Is it just a matter of putting blocks between the spring and the axle with longer U-bolts? Do you need longer shocks?

Here's the real question. Just figured out this weekend that the truck I tow my RV with has been lifted. How hard would it be to take that back to stock? The front has coil springs how did they do that, blocks or longer springs?

Sent from Cheyenne Mountain to confuse the NSA
    Gun Zone Deals

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Need more specific information. So instead of generalizations for an answer, what make/model/year truck do you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown
    It all depends on the type of truck year and how much lift you want.
    The only limit is your pocket book.
    This is my 96 bronco.
    image.jpg

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    What is involved in putting a lift kit on a pick up? Is it just a matter of putting blocks between the spring and the axle with longer U-bolts? Do you need longer shocks?

Here's the real question. Just figured out this weekend that the truck I tow my RV with has been lifted. How hard would it be to take that back to stock? The front has coil springs how did they do that, blocks or longer springs?

Varies depending upon suspension (axle, IFS, IBeam, etc).

Most rears are done with blocks. Front axle (Chevy for Example) is done with new springs. IFS is done with relocation kit. Most front coils are replaced, some use spacers. New shock are usually a must, as are longer brake lines.

tell us year/make and we can help.

Some can go back easily, some not.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Lots of ways to lift a truck. Blocks, springs, shackles, etc. It's recommended you use new U bolts if you add or remove blocks. Cheapest way to remove a lift is often to find someone with a stock truck that wants a lift and swap parts.

As mentioned, lots more info needed like size of lift and make/model to be any more help. Could be additional items like pitman arms, end links, sway bar brackets, track bars or brackets, etc.

Kaos

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2014
    Plano
    is the camper a hitch tow camper or fifth wheel? If its just a standard hitch tow, you can get a drop hitch. Ive also seen lifted trucks tow fifth wheels, and then just flip the axles on the camper.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Thanks guys. It's a 2011 Ford. F250 3/4 ton 4x4. Solid axle in front with coils. Rear is plain jane leafs. If it does have a kit, it is mild. No more than 2 or 3".

Hmmm. Longer shocks was an "afraid of that". I was kinda hoping I could go back to stock in my garage for no bucks. Cuts into my ammo budget ya know.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    is the camper a hitch tow camper or fifth wheel? If its just a standard hitch tow, you can get a drop hitch. Ive also seen lifted trucks tow fifth wheels, and then just flip the axles on the camper.

Mine is a TAG but the truck was a trade in to the rv place I got it from and looks like it was set up to tow 5th wheels. Still had the slider hitch in it. I am thinking the original owner had a large 5er with a tall kingpin....

Not a drop hitch problem. Tows like a hammer. Just rides and drives like a studebaker log wagon. I don't need a tall truck. I can adjust the equalizer head 6 ways to sunday. Just looking for normal.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Are you positive the truck is lifted? Stay with me ...

IMG_0770.JPG

Here is my first rig.
    2K1 2500 GMC 8.1/Allison 2WD
    28' tag with 12K GVW
    Reese 15K Straightline WD/Sway control
    Trailer, race car, spares was easily 10Klbs

This jewel was a hoss. I drug that trailer all over the place like and never really knew it was back there.
    The only thing I did was put on a decent set of Michelin tires and Bilstein 4600 series shocks.

Then I got stupid and bought this POS ...

BlackWheels1.jpg

07 F250 PSD 4x4
    Now before folks jump on the 6.0 hater bandwagon, I never really had any of the issues with the motor.
    Injectors after a load of water from a Love's Truck stop, yes, but the motor was always solid.

But that same trailer, same car, same set of spares, same hitch owned that truck.
    I would get passed by a semi and the bubble of air coming off of it would blow me all over the road.
    New Michelin tires, new Bilstein shocks, moving weight inside the trailer ... nothing helped.
    The trek to and from the track was more exciting than the race weekend.
    I damn near killed myself more behind the wheel of that rig than the race car ... not kidding at all.
    After 6 years, never got it sorted.

Notice how "raised" it looks? It was bone stock, new off the lot.

I now have this rig ...

VandSierra3.jpg

13 GMC max trailering package
    6.2L/6 speed
    4x4

Pulling this guy ...

Wave_Day1.jpg

The camper is about 6500lbs loaded and the truck is rated at 10.5Klbs.
    Reese Straightline WD/Sway control
    Bilstein 5100s
    And it does the same damn thing as the F250 when I get around traffic.

So what are the differences?

4x4 vs 2WD
    The 2WD had a heavier GVWR
    The 2WD had a rear sway bar

So here is my theory ...

The 4WDs have a higher stance (leverage), a softer spring package (lesser GVW and for a softer ride) and no rear sway (for off-road suspension travel).

I have one of these kits on order ...
    GMC Sierra 1500 Sway Bar 4wd & 2wd 2007-2013 by Hellwig #7800 | SuspensionConnection.com

If that doesn't work, I selling out and taking up ballroom dancing.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Mitch.

Mayyyybe. It is certainly possible still stock. The large amount of space from the top of the tire to the wheel arch looks similar from here. I need to get a tape measure after it and my neighbors one ton. I looked in the wheel well sunday as we were getting ready to come back and it looked like a block over the axle and some really long u bolts. But the front has no obvious spacers and the space from the axle tube to a bump stop is only about 3 fingers. (I.e. Designed that way).

I have a similar situation with a 30 foot toy hauler grossing about 9k. It's livable with the trailer on the highway. Wind sway is not bad even with no sway control. (Bent it). My complaint is the harsh ride especially unloaded, I ain't got enough teeth left to shake any more out.

Rear Sway bar might be a thought. It will definately get michelins when these wear out. I swear by them. I want that reese setup just too cheap to pop on it especially cuz mama is talking about an upgrade to a 5th wheel toy hauler.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ford trucks have a block above the rear axle from the factory. It is about two inches tall and has an ear for the bump stop. This is totally normal from the factory.

F250s have the same spring pack as the F350s except they don't have the overload spring mounted seperately above the main pack.

Tango, the previous owner may have added a helper spring to the spring pack. That would explain the rough empty ride. It shouldn't be that bad empty. Trucks usually ride better with a load on them but it shouldn't be that much of a difference. Helper springs are thick springs designed to keep the back from sagging while loaded. The problem is they are thick springs that ruin the ride while empty.

Air bags are the only way to go for load control and ride height adjustment. You get the factory ride while empty and the ability to air them up while loaded down.

Stop by a dealership or even a parked truck somewhere. Compare the spring packs and see if they are different.

A helper spring is fairly easily to remove and usually is just the leaf, no shocks or other parts to deal with. A helper spring usually doesn't add much lift so other part swaps aren't needed.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    From Dawico's description it is sounding more and more stock. Tried to smap a pic of the rear axle but the flash wouldn't fire.
    yqa4y7yz.jpg
    aquhyder.jpg

We were at a family reunion this weekend and everyone was commenting on how large the truck was. These are farmers, country boys and car dealers. I figure they have seen a 3/4 ton truck before.... Got me thinking.
    3esu9e5u.jpg

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yup, looks stock but it may still have a helper spring in it. They don't add much lift but will make them ride like an old lumber truck empty.

I added a helper spring in a '97 I had years ago. Never again. Air bags go on every truck I own now.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    One thing gotta considered is tire prices those bigger sizes way more and if you have a blow out flat etc your screwed.
    Happened to me plus climbing up and down to get in the bed gets old fast.

I had a 8" lift on mine and 35's

Sent from the moon

Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Just want to agree with the towing with a 4x4, I experienced this for the first time today. I towed a truck on a trailer with a new half ton 4x4 and it felt like it was bouncing a lot but figured it was in my head, then I came home and read this. I will consider this for my next vehicle purchase

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cardwellfamily5%
    Top Bottom