• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Friday at the Range and a Saturday Hog Hunt.

Third Coast Thermal provided a IR Hunter Snipe-IR to use. www.ThirdCoastThermal.com

The Trijicon, Inc. IR Hunter Snipe-IR Clip-On now known as the Trijicon IRCO-35 universal thermal Weapon sight does what its more expensive and more complicated competition does for half the cost. The L3 LWTS and FLIR T-70, T75 run around $18,000.00 v $9,900.00 for the Snipe-IR.

The Snipe-IR is now know as the Trijicon IRCO-35 since Trijicon bought IR Defense.

The SNIPE-IR is relatively light weight. It's very compact and once you get used to using the joystick to navigate the menu, that’s easy enough to successfully accomplish. The core is the BAE 640x480 12micron 60hz used in the other or Hunter units. The SNIPE-IR allows the user to give his day optic a 1/4" up/down/left/right mounting position and still shoot POA/POI. The other systems a change in the diopter settings change the pixels, which will change your POA/POI.

The instructions need improvement. The instructions are in the form of flip cards on a ring. They are good enough to get you most of the way there, but they leave out a lot of the details and you have to figure that out on your own. Of course, if you've just bought one of these thermal weapon sights, then you probably can figure out what the manual isn't telling you.

It's taken me several months to warm up to this device. I'm used to an IR Hunter Mark II and a FLIR RS 60. I resist change. This demo unit was Pressed into service because I needed an extra unit for a multi-person hunt.

This forced me to figure out the collimation-zero procedure. Of course, it's September and I am in Houston, TX so I had to go out early in the morning in order to be able to see the heated steel targets. It was a race against the sun and building heat. What happens in the Texas sun is that the berms heat up to the same temperature as the targets and the targets are washed out by the heat behind them.

I placed the rifle in Reaper grip on a tripod. That made it easy to use the joystick to navigate the menus and get into the collimation zero mode. Once I had the proper mode selected I was able to get the impact on the steel and then move the impact to the aiming point. The odd thing is the first round was about a foot low and a foot right. This emphasized the need for properly collimating the Snipe-IR

Once in the field, I had 6 hours to figure out the menu items and how to navigate the submenus using the joystick.

Refresh Rate: You can select 60 hertz or 30 Hertz depending on the battery life that you need or the conditions that you are hunting in. One item that the instructions do not discuss is the requirement that you shut the sight off and turn it back on to lock in the refresh rate that you have selected in the menu. If you want to switch from 30 to 60hz, you select 60hz in the menu and power the weapon sight down and turn it back on. At that point it will switch to the 60 hertz refresh rate.

Video out: one of my hobbies, outside of being a gun trust lawyer, is making videos. One of issues that needs improvement across the IR Hunter product range is the video out in.

Every time you turn the sight on, you have to go into the menu and activate the video out/enable the video out. When you power the weapon sight down, it deletes your selection. The next time the user energizes the weapon sight, the video out is not enabled. The user must go back into the menu and re-enable/activate the video out again. You would think that this menu item would be locked in a similar manner to the reticle lock.

Video Connections: the video out is relatively simple. You enable it in the menu each time you cycle the power on and off and then connect an ultimate night vision DVR using the supplied cable. Then you can make movies. If you use the Ultimate night vision DVR, be sure and enable the audio recording otherwise you'll be making silent movies. I don't know what format the video output is in, it's not super high-def. But it's good enough for making YouTube movies. I use a piece of Velcro to attach the DVR and its pouch to the day optic. Then I run the cable through a ranger band, made from a slice of bicycle inner tube, on the rail back to the DVR. This puts the DVR in easy reach of my left thumb to start the recording. I can see the blinking red light and know that put the selection button in the right position.

Weight and size: as far as universal weapon sights go, this weapon sight does not weigh much. In fact you will notice weight on the front of your rifle but it's not like putting a PVS 27 on the end of it.

The SNIPE-IR is a relatively compact thermal weapon sight. It does not take up much rail space. The Snipe-IR weighs 16oz. Compare to a PVS-22 that weighs 31oz, or a PVS-27 that weighs 3lbs, 2oz. A FLIR T70 weighs 24oz (1.5lbs) and a T75 approximately 29oz or 1.75lbs. Physical size is important because you have to have space to mount the sight in front of your day optic. The physical size of the SNIPE-IR is significantly smaller that the I2 options. Comparing the Snipe-IR to its thermal competitors, the Snipe-IR’s physical dimensions are 6.50”(L) x 2.95”(W) x 3.0”(H). Compare to the FLIR T50 is 6.8”(L) x 2.8”(W) x 3.5”(H) and the T75 is 7.3”(L) x 2.8”(W) x 3.5”(H) That said, you must have to have enough rail space in front of your day optic to mount the site.

One issue I've run into on one of my rifles that does not have a continuous top rail is that you cannot Mount the snipe IR in the correct place due to spacing issues. If you have a bolt action rifle, you will need a clip on Mount in the right spot.

Battery Life. The weapon sight has a battery power indicator that appears to read the voltage of the batteries. The snipe IR has a dual battery extension. In other words, it uses two cr123 lithium batteries. They usually start on it 5.3 and the side shuts off when it reads three point two. That was good for approximately 6 hours of use at the 60 hertz refresh rate setting.

Controls: Joystick. It does everything. Push to turn it on. Push and hold to turn it off. If you want to change from clip-on mode to hybrid mode, push it and let off without holding. I want to go back to clip on mode push it quickly and release. To calibrate, click the door stick upward and cycle through the top menu selections from brightness Etc until you reach calibrate. And close the lens cover and push it forward or back and it calibrates. Navigation through the menu and sub menus for through the for half up and down and clicking movements of the joystick. The flipcard instruction manual does it really walk you through all the different submenus. Have to figure that out on your own. Focus, contrast, brightness, various reticle settings, Zoom, Etc. I had hoped that Trijicon would have an online manual, but I checked their website and there is no downloadable in depth manual available. That is something that they should consider

The user needs a magnified optic of at least 3 power to effectively use the snipe IR. Any less and it's very hard to read the menu items and select them and cycle through them. Using a one-day power Leupold 1-8x CQBSS, I found the I was able to see all of the menu selections at 3 to 4 power. When I zoom the scope in to over 4 power, I could not see the menu selections. I was able to effectively use the optic Saturday night up to 6x. I have been told it is useable to 10x. I'll get some more data in the coming weeks.

Digital Zoom: it appears to be 1/2, 2x, 4x and 8x. I used to one half setting most of the night. The 2X appeared to be very usable. 4X and 8x as would be expected, we're very fuzzy and almost unusable. The overall size of the image displayed changes when you select between 1/2 and 2x. I believe that the 1/2 is the clip-on mode and you use the zoom in the day optic to zoom in. If you select 2x you get a much larger image presented to the day optic with a smaller field of view. Therefore that leads me to believe that the difference in modes are probably to be used in the hybrid mode when it's being used as a standalone weapon sight or a handheld.

Image Quality: I was impressed with the image quality compared to my mark 2. I expect clip on weapon sights to have images that are not as good as their dedicated standalone analogs. In this case I found the image to be very usable even though it was going through extra glass to get to my eye. I had no problem identifying raccoons, flying squirrels, the feeder and trees at the distances I was hunting at which were relatively short. Sometimes I felt focus wasn't as sharp as the standalone site. But then my I would refocus my eye and everything would be sharp again. So I do not know if that was myself or a natural limitation.

Next Saturday. I will get some more experience with it and update this.
    bfb5b521abaed04dba601c938bfdc903.jpg
    8ca170a20bd5a632b3c809bf4c6190ee.jpg
    a8a0cbea15c70ca3d6d37191c7c22c5d.jpg
    2b3ab51cfef194a4fc8c13772bc5125f.jpg
    8199d63c4cd580ce1c5f60e10b3e40ba.jpg
    3db58d44453c63d0a20a7033154e4af4.jpg
    6dd9862157b3914c6584733051503cdf.jpg
    c3898a97ca8f9ff17445f90d571ec49f.jpg
    223d958c089d1b99b67f8679a4079f37.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Pros and cons? In my opinion, clip-on thermal weapon sights are mission specific items. I may change my mind but I prefer dedicated stand alone thermal weapon sights to the clip-ons in this day and age of quick attach optic mounts such as the ones from LaRue Tactical that I use on most of my weapons.

PROs

1. The best aspect of the Snipe-IR Clip-on is that you can put it in front of any permanently mounted day optic and with a few minutes of time and effort, have it collimated to that day optic/zeroed, and turn your day site into a thermal night sight.

2. From an ergonomics standpoint once you get used to the joystick and the menus/submenus, the Snipe IR is easy to set up and adjust for your particular mission.

3. The battery life is impressive at 60 hertz. I have the two battery extension installed and I was able to run the thermal weapon sight continuously for approximately 5-6 hours on two batteries. When it was time to change the batteries, I was able to change them in the dark without using white light.

4. With a good day optic you can use it up to 6 power or more. At least that's what I found I was able to do.

5. The quality of this unit is outstanding. It feels good in the hand. It does not feel cheap. The joystick works and has a great tactile response. The general feel is that this is a mil-spec quality unit. I know these are intangible prescriptions but that's the way it feels to me.

6. The batteries are very easy to change in the dark without resorting to a white light. It's easy to unscrew the cap and insert two new batteries and put the cap back on in the dark by feel.

Con:

1. Cost v. The dedicated TWS. The Snipe-IR is almost $10,000 versus $6,000.00 for a dedicated Thermal weapon site. Only the customer can determine if the additional cost is worth it.

2. Complicated Collimation. The fact is, if you can zero a dedicated thermal weapon sight, you can collimate the Snipe-IR to your rifle. The process is not intuitive and easy to figure it out with the instructions. It is important to have the instructions available.

3. Rail Space. I know it appears I'm contradicting my statement above about rail space, but the fact is this takes up more than double the rail space of a dedicated thermal weapon sight when combined with the day optic. You must have enough rail space in front of your day off that to use this.

4. I think this is going to be hard to use off the weapon in a handheld mode. I'll get back with y'all on this issue. I have been told that I am wrong about this so I will use it in this handheld spotting mode next week and update my opinion.

Now that I have learned to cycle between hybrid and clip-on mode, this may change my opinion. If you can use it as a handheld or a standalone weapon sight, that would make this a much more versatile clip-on weapon sight.

Hybrid, handheld? I will be using these modes in the near future. The first couple of times I looked at this weapon sight, I was not able to read the menus with the sight without it being mounted and in hybrid mode unless it was in front of a magnified optic. That greatly limits the usefulness of the clip IR outside of a clip on role. Again, I am going to revisit this this week. I am hopeful that it can be used like a Patrol IR.

5. Moving from weapon to weapon: I'm curious to see how much it would change in point of impact shift I'll see when I move this from weapon to weapon without adjusting the collimation and zero. I'll be testing this in the next two weeks.

Sean Cody

www.TexasGunTrust.com

Call Clifford Cheadle at Third Coast Thermal for demo unit and open box pricing.

Www.ThirdCoastThermalllc.com
    c06c57f650bedb8b004bad71f7de7765.jpg
    6f4619ddc24cf0bb2c67dfc04b1ee6ab.jpg
    0ed4ae79a7f30178d37a3c2821e4ced9.jpg
    9da2a1b6e583cfa6b7e664587697a442.jpg
    f7c0ab5c5714665838ecaeb5f5ad1398.jpg
    b5d7a175f242d5de06d3f26421fdb04c.jpg
    c3829ac720b8baa4030b0642bd17d84a.jpg
    7f39bac35344b2a40a41f2273b55b958.jpg
    8f7d83618d2df59a4787a5db6357b875.jpg

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    First two kills with the Snipe IR.

The first kill was a team shot. Both kills were at approximately 100 yards in front of a Leopold 1-8 CQBSS.

Using the unit at night was easy now that I spent enough time with it last week.

I turned the Snipe-IR on and left it energized for the entire hunt. It was easy to calibrate occasionally whike mounted on the front of the rifle. I am becoming more familiar with the setup

The image through the Leupold 1 to 8 was what I would expect from this core. I was able to increase the zoom to 8 power and identify heat sources as deer.

Although the image started getting slightly pixelated at 8 power. At longer ranges, you would see pixels in the deer's neck.

While the distances would not allow a positive ID to take a shot, it would certainly allow us to rule out groups of animals because of their configuration without having to walk an extra three or four hundred yards.

Battery life was over 4 hours at 60 hertz in the field although Trijicon's specs say a max of 3.5hrs.

5530b2cc6f32eb3050c5d52245989ded.jpg

3374a9f8f8e03c8e49fc95b92c27005b.jpg

The rifle and other equipment; mounted on a Hodge Defense AU-Mod 1 with a Surefire SOCOM556SB in a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.

I was using my TNVC PVS-14 On a Team Wendy EXFILand a Wilcox mount.

There is also a Flir M24 Recon monocular.

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I'm using the snipe-ir in Dedicated mode this weekend. I made this video with my phone as a preview to the video I'm recording with a DVR.

This was shot at Chris Lucci's Wild river Ranch.

I wanted to try the snipe-IR as a dedicated weapon sight. I sighted it in in the dedicated mode on my AR-15 w/ the .22 upper at 50yards. Sight in was easy enough now that I am more familiar with the menus.

I found it hard to read the menus without a magnified optic. I solved the problem by using my phone camera to magnify the image.

Once that issue was dealt with, I used a propane torch to heat the lollipop and got on target with a boresight.

I saved the zero.

To switch between clip on and dedicated modes you navigate to the “Sighting In” sub menu and select “Sight” at the top instead of Clip-On.

I will try this out next week when it goes back in front of a day optic

Remember support our board sponsors www.thirdcoastthermal.com. Call Clifford for open box and demo pricing.

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Update: I've been using the snipe IR as a direct dedicated weapon sight for the past year or so.

I've decided to go ahead and use it as a clip-on.

Sighting In the new configuration for the POF P-308, and the Trijicon IRCO-35 Snipe-IR clip on Thermal Weapon Sight. Added the @primaryarmsonline Platinum 1-8x in a @laruetactical SPR mount. I will use the thermal in its clip on mode.
    @third_coast_thermal provided the Trijicon IRCO-35 Snipe-IR clip on which is for sale as a demo unit. Call Clifford if you are interested.

The @RauchPrecision Tripod Hammock is a great accessory for the field shooting tripod. Great place to drop a LRF, extra magazine, scope wipes or other gear. Even some extra weight to steady the tripod.
    1718b91dc2ec1fbe3bffb0c80f2b0367.jpg
    45aae3c2298f76a1173a6bee1fe3706e.jpg
    26011a4ba153121a45ef09f99dc6c4bb.jpg
    8118013020b4524dd825d49cb9cd14d3.jpg
    3fbc2eb2670cf2b358868406529412e3.jpg

2d3d81bccea683967cbe290eb483e4da.jpg
    46b503fda8fcc5cb1721c89b7f92fbfe.jpg
    a4eb1c46129fe06bad7d8185c81fd462.jpg
    63e14d6376c23d0a4911a60a0facb097.jpg

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I had plenty of success using snipe IR as a dedicated thermal weapon sight.
    0b575f4035745f256b6e69be417f365d.jpg
    4e9eceaf747885409693701ad100865c.jpg
    907503d45fd661d114da313d5319acc7.jpg
    311d4cf0037a280118166770c7d5ddd1.jpg
    a51734e2ac47f32fcece0dbfcccdeef4.jpg
    55313c385e907d0433db38eb1c966ab4.jpg
    eff0db5af30e51648013560b0f4a4975.jpg
    3ac5d6c3749bcecedbb133308b1342af.jpg

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    A couple of more dead pigs with the snipe ir and dedicated weapon sight mode

65dd60992029a216460f32854f38bf44.jpg

95cc1ee131d5f4d04e4abb4e4e893402.jpg

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I use a propane torch to heat a steel Target for sign in.
    ff844bf4ad7921d6f0472dcc8dbbcfc1.jpg

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Setting zero in both clip on and dedicated mode.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nice experience with a superlative tool.

I purchased an IR Hunter II shortly before Trijicon acquired the company and dearly love the thing.
    Was out after coyotes Friday night and, as you know, at 1,000 feet I had no trouble distinguishing coyotes from piggies. With the AN-PVS-7 I had with me they were all pretty much unseeable.
    I tell my buddies to not to even look at thermal unless they are ready to spend the money, as it'll ruin ya'.

It's a shame that all IR thermal gear is so expensive but the same can be said for 25 year old single malt scotch too.

Thanks.
    I'm envious.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice experience with a superlative tool.

I purchased an IR Hunter II shortly before Trijicon acquired the company and dearly love the thing.
    Was out after coyotes Friday night and, as you know, at 1,000 feet I had no trouble distinguishing coyotes from piggies. With the AN-PVS-7 I had with me they were all pretty much unseeable.
    I tell my buddies to not to even look at thermal unless they are ready to spend the money, as it'll ruin ya'.

It's a shame that all IR thermal gear is so expensive but the same can be said for 25 year old single malt scotch too.

Thanks.
    I'm envious.
    This^^

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    SC, for the sake of time spent poking around the web, what RIS is that on your AR?

Nice shooter btw.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom