Capitol Armory ad

Tinnitus . . . how are you dealing with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I thought I had tinnitus earlier, but it was the Ring doorbell
    I thought I was Army, then realized I was just a . . .

Tinnitus doesn't care where you served,

Edit: Or even IF you served, it still f's up your hearing.

Last edited:

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I have a very aggravating form of tinnitus (ringing in the ears) due to ignorance and apathy. Mine is 24/7, only in the left ear and sounds like a jet airplane taxing right next to me. The VA thinks it was probably associated with the cumulative concussive effects of small arms and ordnance. When I was in the Army, they/we didn’t pay much attention to hearing protection (1965-68). The VA has provided me with some very nice hearing aids that immensely improved my hearing, but they don’t reduce the noise in my ear. It will drive you crazy (as I have proven on several occasions). I don’t want any of you younger guys to suffer with tinnitus or hearing loss. Please take care of your hearing by wearing adequate protection when shooting.

OSHA requires hearing protection whenever noise exposures equal or exceed an 8-hour time-weighted average sound level of 85 decibels. Handguns, like .45 cal and 9mm lung removers, typically develop around 160 decibels. Anyone exposed to any single impulse noise level that exceeds 140 dBA or those whose 8-hour time-weighted average exposures exceed 100 dBA should wear double hearing protection (i.e., they should wear earplugs and earmuffs simultaneously).

:banana:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Right there with you.

When I was a teenager learning to shoot from my uncle, we didn't use hearing protection. It didn't occur to me to use "ears" until after my first couple sessions - in which we were shooting 9mm pistols and .30-30 rifles. After the first shot with a .30-30 - it was harder to hear and the ringing was ever-present.

I spent most of my adult life as a commercial driver in some sort - mostly tow trucks. The truck I drove the longest had a tweaked door frame that created a high pitched whistle in my left ear. That did me no favors.

You're never alone, when you have your constant companion, the ringing. I don't have it as bad as my dad or grandpa though. Dad was a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force. Grandpa was a navy diver back in the days before SCUBA took over (he just turned 84 on July 31) - he can hardly sleep at night sometimes because its so bad for him.

I'm sitting in my office right now, dogs are asleep, but there's still the ringing. If I have background noise on, like music or the TV, I usually don't hear it, but right now it sounds like cicadas all going off at a distance.

Hopefully there's a cure for it sooner rather than later.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I have it also, always wore ear protection while shooting. I think mine started when I took up bowling, spent 7 days a week bowling on leagues and practice. Bowling alleys are very noisy. Now I can't even go to a concert.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    I always wear earplugs and earmuffs.
    Same here. Although, I did not always do this and my ringing in both ears is constant and noticeably, it increases in intensity with my level of stress. In these cases, there are instances when I’m trying to sleep but can’t and the ringing gets so loud it momentarily worries me like my brain is going to pop. That emotion ends quickly and thank the Lord my life doesn’t bring me that level of stress very often.

ETA: Reasoning - many, many loud punk rock concerts starting ~14. Great memories but paying for it now in the hearing dept. Feels like a bunk reason compared to you @Wudidiz and @MTA89 - thank you gents for your service!

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Right there with you.

When I was a teenager learning to shoot from my uncle, we didn't use hearing protection. It didn't occur to me to use "ears" until after my first couple sessions - in which we were shooting 9mm pistols and .30-30 rifles. After the first shot with a .30-30 - it was harder to hear and the ringing was ever-present.

I spent most of my adult life as a commercial driver in some sort - mostly tow trucks. The truck I drove the longest had a tweaked door frame that created a high pitched whistle in my left ear. That did me no favors.

You're never alone, when you have your constant companion, the ringing. I don't have it as bad as my dad or grandpa though. Dad was a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force. Grandpa was a navy diver back in the days before SCUBA took over (he just turned 84 on July 31) - he can hardly sleep at night sometimes because its so bad for him.

I'm sitting in my office right now, dogs are asleep, but there's still the ringing. If I have background noise on, like music or the TV, I usually don't hear it, but right now it sounds like cicadas all going off at a distance.

Hopefully there's a cure for it sooner rather than later.
    Yep, was a neighbor kid's 44 magnum pistol that got me. We shot mostly. 22 at the time and never used earpro.
    Bad idea.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 5gallon bag full of earpro. I wear it anytime I'm doing something loud. Work loudness is irritating to me. Hell I wear it when I'm on my tractor for more than 20mins.

But I will totally contradict myself because I love music.. I like it loud, clean and good sound systems. I also recently started playing the drums and I cant groove well unless it's loud and I can feel the music. So... yeah there's that.

I shoot suppressed. But, I wear earpro shooting strings of 5-10 shots with bigger calibers.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Same here. Although, I did not always do this and my ringing in both ears is constant and noticeably, it increases in intensity with my level of stress. In these cases, there are instances when I’m trying to sleep but can’t and the ringing gets so loud it momentarily worries me like my brain is going to pop. That emotion ends quickly and thank the Lord my life doesn’t bring me that level of stress very often.

ETA: Reasoning - many, many loud punk rock concerts starting ~14. Great memories but paying for it now in the hearing dept. Feels like a bunk reason compared to you @Wudidiz and @MTA89 - thank you gents for your service!
    Im thankful that I dont have it and I am young enough that I started protecting my hearing like this at 20 about halfway through my time in the military

No need to say thanks. I just shot a bunch of tax payer funded ammo for 4 years so thank you. Nothing better than shooting a machine gun almost every friday when you are 18

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I don't remember a time I didn't have it from a pretty young age but being young I can remember a few times I did dumb stuff (not involving firearms) that probably contributed to it. I often hear things others can't like a clock ticking in the other room or my neighbor having a quiet phone call on their patio while I'm inside so I'm not sure if I have hearing loss yet. But OP is right, do everything you can to protect it because they still haven't figured out a way to restore hearing or stop tinnitus.

I do have a TMJ jaw bone problem which a couple dentists and ENT doctors said could be contributing to it. Maybe one day I'll get it looked at and corrected because moving my jaw to uncomfortable positions can help lessen the tinnitus.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy

One thing that helps me at night is a sound machine playing ocean waves on a beach, helps mask the ringing.

Top Bottom