• ...and so much more!
  • tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Just came across this little jewel:
    EPA Considering Ban on Traditional Ammunition — Take Action Now

With the fall hunting season fast approaching, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under Lisa Jackson, who was responsible for banning bear hunting in New Jersey, is now considering a petition by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) – a leading anti-hunting organization – to ban all traditional ammunition under the Toxic Substance Control Act of 1976, a law in which Congress expressly exempted ammunition. If the EPA approves the petition, the result will be a total ban on all ammunition containing lead-core components, including hunting and target-shooting rounds. The EPA must decide to accept or reject this petition by November 1, 2010, the day before the midterm elections.
    Today, the EPA has opened to public comment the CBD petition. The comment period ends on October 31, 2010.
    The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) — the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industry — urges you to submit comment to the EPA opposing any ban on traditional ammunition. Remember, your right to choose the ammunition you hunt and shoot with is at stake.
    The EPA has published the petition and relevant supplemental information as Docket ID: EPA-HQ-OPPT-2010-0681. If you would like to read the original petition and see the contents of this docket folder, please click here. In order to go directly to the ‘submit a comment’ page for this docket number, please click here.
    NSSF urges you to stress the following in your opposition:
    * There is no scientific evidence that the use of traditional ammunition is having an adverse impact on wildlife populations.
    * Wildlife management is the proper jurisdiction of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the 50 state wildlife agencies.
    * A 2008 study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on blood lead levels of North Dakota hunters confirmed that consuming game harvested with traditional ammunition does not pose a human health risk.
    * A ban on traditional ammunition would have a negative impact on wildlife conservation. The federal excise tax that manufacturers pay on the sale of the ammunition (11 percent) is a primary source of wildlife conservation funding. The bald eagle’s recovery, considered to be a great conservation success story, was made possible and funded by hunters using traditional ammunition – the very ammunition organizations like the CBD are now demonizing.
    * Recent statistics from the United States Fish and Wildlife Service show that from 1981 to 2006 the number of breeding pairs of bald eagles in the United States increased 724 percent. And much like the bald eagle, raptor populations throughout the United States are soaring.
    Hurley's Gold

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    Was watching the Sportsman channel the other day, I think it was Guns and Ammo, and they had the Hornaday rep there showing off some ammunition specifically designed for shooters in states that don't allow lead core ammo.

Atleast the ammo makers are thinking ahead of the game, just in case this takes off.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I don't know if you've noticed, but the military started using ammo made from tungsten and several bullet manufacturers have started producing all-copper bullets or bullets made of some composite without lead. They're convinced EPA intends to use TSCA to outlaw bullets.

TSCA is probably the most horribly written of the environmental acts. (Hey, I do this for a living!) It is nearly impossible to comply with it and EPA knows that. They rarely drag it out unless they can't "get" someone with the other environmental rules. (The former #2 man at EPA Region III explained that to me in detail some years back.)

EPA is NOT interested in your petition. They respond to political pressure, not public pressure. Nobody in Washington - on either side of the aisle - will stand up against them right now. (Take a stand? Before an election?? Not happening!)

God put the Red River there for us to widen and barricade. The Obama and Pelosi Marxists have turned the USA into the Titanic. Time to turn Texas into the lifeboat and cut the line before they drag us all down.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Was watching the Sportsman channel the other day, I think it was Guns and Ammo, and they had the Hornaday rep there showing off some ammunition specifically designed for shooters in states that don't allow lead core ammo.

Atleast the ammo makers are thinking ahead of the game, just in case this takes off.

Hornady's GMX is a lead-free bullet, ala Barnes X-bullet.

Honestly, we don't need to use lead, but it's a cheap, heavy, and easy to manufacture material in abundant supply.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is how it starts people. Stop peeking through the tinfoil on the windows looking for the gun confiscation crew to show up at your house. We can look forward to ever increasing ammo costs through legislation until few of us can afford ammunition. Be proactive in contacting your relevant politicians and buy as much ammo as possible. ;)

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Ah - It's all clear to me now. This is just a plant by CTD to get me to buy more ammo this weekend whether I ened to or not.

And in all seriousness, this november: Vote early. Vote often.
    Maybe if we can get some sanity returned to our government we can get these idiots under control.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    If there is any chance of Civilians having to battle for their freedom or any legitimate reason, Secession, Fed Gun grabbing whatever, it seems logical to posess at least one weapon of the caliber used by the opposite group making ammo availability much easier and simpler...... .223, .308, 7.62X39 etc. Caliber depends on who the enemy is. Wonderful old arms in other calibers as 30-06 & etc. useless when you run out of ammo and can't utilize the enemy's.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    If the use of lead ammo is outlawed it won't matter how much you buy now. You won't be able to legally use what you have! I can see the headlines now--- Home owner found justified in shooting the home invader, but was arrested for using lead bullets---

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    If the use of lead ammo is outlawed it won't matter how much you buy now. You won't be able to legally use what you have! I can see the headlines now--- Home owner found justified in shooting the home invader, but was arrested for using lead bullets---

Well that only makes sense. The homeowner violated the intruder's right not be poisoned by hazardous materials.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Have any of you checked the prices for lead-free ammunition? I did in both Midway's and Graf's catalogs. If this passes, our shooting will be much more expensive. Maybe there are some Elmer Fudds out there who think that anybody who can't afford lead-free ammunition doesn't deserve to shoot anyway. Maybe none of you think that way, but we need to get real.

The leftists have discovered that they are not going to get any traction with outright bans on guns, so they are trying to use flanking attacks. Without ammo, our guns are just funny-looking clubs. Also, they are still pushing to "close the gun show loophole", and they may try to sneak some really nasty stuff in as amendments to unrelated bills.

McDonald and Heller did not settle matters. Both of those decisions have enough loopholes and ambiguity to allow a lot of bad stuff in. The fight is not over.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    massive amounts of lead is bad but a bit isnt....everything in moderation

This will suck if it goes through.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco

The ammo makers shouldn't have to think ahead, this is fucking absurd. I didn't realize such a worthless fucking agency as the EPA had this kind of power. This is a perfect example of governmental abuse. This big government thing has gone on long enough, I can think of about 15 agencies we could live without. I hate these fuckin goons.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    like I keep repeating: know who you are voting for, make sure they know what you want, vote early, vote often. Get people in other states to do the same. We need congress critters that have the spine to do some rough work: undo nearly 100 years of bad governing. Wind it all the way back to before the great depression. Which means pulling the teeth on a lot of these regulatory bodies. They have some beneficial aspects, but almost all of them have grown well beyond their useful scope.

Top Bottom