Join TexasGunTalk

Thinking hard about turning in someone for Stolen Valor

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by vmax, May 31, 2016.

1. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Yeh you have to watch what they are doing. Same thing happened to a friend of mine... they were going to take a body part off...

rusty tweezers likes this.
  2. gshayd

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    New Orleans? There was a fire in St. Louis. I had a rare chance to visit St. Louis back in the day. Hundreds of records lying around in empty cubicles. The fire was in July of 1973. The lady at NPRC wanted to show me my computerized record. I had no records on file. She told me they were probably burned in the fire. I said that was a damn long fire because I did not enlist till June of 1975.

3. Deltaboy1984

Deltaboy1984 New Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Johnson County Texas
    Yep the Navy had a record center in N.O. according to the letter my Mom got.

4. gshayd

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    missed the navy part.... I didn't know squids could read and write

5. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    They have Marines do it for them .

gshayd likes this.
  6. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Not uncommon, records are only as accurate as the information put into them and that is only as good as the person putting it in!

When I was on active duty, anytime I got to San Antonio I made it a priority to get to Randolph AFB and check my master personnel file. Often I was not only missing important documents, such as orders and decorations, but it wasn't uncommon to find those for other individuals in my records. I would remove them and turn them over to the personnelist who would toss them into a large container marked 'To Be Filed.' I often pondered how many of those documents ended up in the shredder...

Now that everything is online, I wonder if it's any better?

toddnjoyce likes this.
  7. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

When did they start teaching Marines to read?

toddnjoyce and karlac like this.
  8. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    At Scout Dog School, using the same teaching techniques as close-order drill to recruits.

"The basic steps for Marines – heeling, staying, sitting, reading – are taught by long repetition of the same commands over and over again until they obey instinctively".
    <g,d&r>

toddnjoyce, ZX9RCAM and TxStetson like this.
  9. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    I requested copies of my grandfather, father and my records. They reported back no records, all destroyed by fire. Good thing I have my own DD214 and filed it at the courthouse as I was instructed when ETS'ing the Army. Came in handy a number of times so far. I can get a certified copy anytime I want.

10. gshayd

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Also be careful of who you accuse of stolen valor. There are some old vets who were accused of it because you believe he is a fake veteran. A 12 year Marine Veteran was accused of stolen valor then attacked by a person who was in the military and other people. He was attacked and injured.