• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    TYM has grown on me. I used to not be able to stand him and his delivery but I've liked several things he's had to say. I appreciate some of the trolling he does too.

Colion Noir's segment on Joe Rogan was pretty good. Rogan strikes me as somebody that tries to be independent minded but really just ends up being squishy and not really believing anything.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    TYM has grown on me. I used to not be able to stand him and his delivery but I've liked several things he's had to say. I appreciate some of the trolling he does too.
    Exactly how I feel. I used to not like his content. Now he’s calling people out and it’s good stuff. It’s legit. He’s got good points.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Rogan strikes me as somebody that tries to be independent minded but really just ends up being squishy and not really believing anything.
    I view him more charitably.

He's genuinely intellectually curious and will listen to anyone without being too condemning. In his way, he's polite to his guests; that may come across as squishy.

But if you listen to him long-term, patterns begin to emerge. He'll be with a guest who disagrees with a prior guest and it's clear Joe agrees with the second guest. He'll then reference the first guest, acknowledge any good points that were made, and clearly state that ultimately he thought the first guest was terribly wrong.

Even if they're terribly wrong, Joe lets the people on his show speak their minds without being so challenging that they get defensive.

You say squishy. I say expertly walking a thin line that makes everyone comfortable enough to open up and talk.

Look how he handled the Tim Rice/Twitter Execs podcast. If you've seen enough Joe Rogan, you know that he knows Twitter is terribly biased. Yet he refereed between the participants so that the Twitter execs kept talking (and kept making themselves look worse and worse) even though Tim was on the attack.

None of this means he's never firm. Get him in his areas of expertise, martial arts or comedy, and he can be incredibly opinionated and hard-nosed with guests. But when he's exposed to things he hasn't thought about enough, he has the intellectual honesty to be open and welcoming to all viewpoints.

There's a reason the guy is the 800 pound gorilla in the podcast world.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Good reasoning Ben. In regards to podcast 1253, joe did as you described but the comment out of his mouth about gun shows being weird and people who go to them are just looking for an excuse to shoot someone; I’m pretty sure that’s what triggered TYM. Now, if you watch the entire video IMO it’s not as nasty as TYM makes it seem but, joe showed some true colors by saying what he did. People looking to add to their collection, protect themselves, enjoy target shooting and building memories, that’s who goes to gun shows.

Ben, your analysis of joe is spot on. In that short moment though, he chose to make fun of the gun community. Now later in the video he did defend the use of defense with a gun but his stance on gun show loopholes was bogus. Several times he’s just caressing that liberals balls. There’s a difference between allowing someone to feel comfortable and caressing their balls.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This. It’s been an ongoing issue of his. Even his viewers want hard questions asked. If he was passionate about every other topic as he is with weed, his show would be incredible.

He still has a good program I’m just disappointed. On a side not, watch his pod cast from his Alex Jones interview. Lol at the end they start getting drunk. Alex is an interesting cat sober. Just saying...it gets comical.
    Lol... great podcast. Alex has a lot of info up in that brain of his. Smart dude. Really made me think.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I look forward to your insight.
    Wow. That's 2.5 hours of my life I won't get back.

My insight can't be put here. I'd have to be the much younger man who used to compose posts that hit the word limit multiple times and had to break up his response into three posts to make it fit. There's a hell of a lot to say about all this but I've gotten sufficiently tired over the last few years that I'm not going to try to say it.

A few bullet points are in order, though.
    • Yes, Joe Rogan went more than a little Fudd-y. He reminds me of a lot of younger men who simply haven't had the time nor the passion to think deeply about their beliefs. Not everyone can be an expert on everything. Joe can be educated and he's getting there but he's not there, yet. The amount of Fudd he spouts is irritating. It's even disturbing. I'd like to take him shooting and have a long talk over BBQ afterwards.
    • TYM, otoh, overstates badly the sort of Fudd Joe spouted. He puts words in Joe's mouth that Joe didn't say. That's a common debate technique: say "He basically said..." and then proceed to re-state what he said but tweak it to make it sound worse. On a couple of things (registration, for example), TYM quotes Joe perfectly. On most things, he makes Joe sound a good deal more Fudd-y than Joe actually was in the interview.
    • TYM takes a hard turn at the end of his video to turn the entire thing into an anti-NRA rant. OK, I get it. The NRA has made me want to scream several times. But there are good folks trying to fix the NRA and I support that. TYM graphically explains how he wants to destroy the NRA ("We need to get rid of the poison..." at 16:34), characterizing it as the poisoned center to which the limbs of the 2A community cannot be safely attached. He flat out says the NRA is anti-2A inasmuch as in the 2A community "The problem is the poison and the poison is the NRA and groups like the NRA." (At 16:47) From the viewpoint of an ideologue, that's at least partially true. IMO, though, from any practical perspective such statements are hyperbolic to the point of error because they foreclose any notion of fixing the NRA. Basically, while I completely agree with him on individual points, I don't come to the same conclusion. YMMV, everybody.
    • Anyone who wants to understand this video must carefully listen first to the Joe Rogan podcast and then to TYM. Then make up your own mind.
    To me, TYM makes some great points and Joe Rogan needs a deeper understanding. That does not mean TYM is right, either in his characterization of Rogan or his conclusions. That's up to each of us to decide for ourselves.

It's worthwhile to listen to both videos, even if it's just to understand how an immature gun owner might view things and how an old curmudgeon might twist and re-purpose those words.

To repeat myself: YMMV, everybody.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

My insight can't be put here. I'd have to be the much younger man who used to compose posts that hit the word limit multiple times and had to break up his response into three posts to make it fit. There's a hell of a lot to say about all this but I've gotten sufficiently tired over the last few years that I'm not going to try to say it.

• Yes, Joe Rogan went more than a little Fudd-y. He reminds me of a lot of younger men who simply haven't had the time nor the passion to think deeply about their beliefs. Not everyone can be an expert on everything. Joe can be educated and he's getting there but he's not there, yet. The amount of Fudd he spouts is irritating. It's even disturbing. I'd like to take him shooting and have a long talk over BBQ afterwards.
    • TYM, otoh, overstates badly the sort of Fudd Joe spouted. He puts words in Joe's mouth that Joe didn't say. That's a common debate technique: say "He basically said..." and then proceed to re-state what he said but tweak it to make it sound worse. On a couple of things (registration, for example), TYM quotes Joe perfectly. On most things, he makes Joe sound a good deal more Fudd-y than Joe actually was in the interview.
    • TYM takes a hard turn at the end of his video to turn the entire thing into an anti-NRA rant. OK, I get it. The NRA has made me want to scream several times. But there are good folks trying to fix the NRA and I support that. TYM graphically explains how he wants to destroy the NRA ("We need to get rid of the poison..." at 16:34), characterizing it as the poisoned center to which the limbs of the 2A community cannot be safely attached. He flat out says the NRA is anti-2A inasmuch as in the 2A community "The problem is the poison and the poison is the NRA and groups like the NRA." (At 16:47) From the viewpoint of an ideologue, that's at least partially true. IMO, though, from any practical perspective such statements are hyperbolic to the point of error because they foreclose any notion of fixing the NRA. Basically, while I completely agree with him on individual points, I don't come to the same conclusion. YMMV, everybody.
    • Anyone who wants to understand this video must carefully listen first to the Joe Rogan podcast and then to TYM. Then make up your own mind.
    To me, TYM makes some great points and Joe Rogan needs a deeper understanding. That does not mean TYM is right, either in his characterization of Rogan or his conclusions. That's up to each of us to decide for ourselves.

It's worthwhile to listen to both videos, even if it's just to understand how an immature gun owner might view things and how an old curmudgeon might twist and re-purpose those words.

Pretty much what I pointed out in post 27. You’re correct in everything you posted. As I mentioned a few times, joe only gets heated when it comes to pot. For example when he had Steven crowder on. Pretty funny show at that, but it gets heated. On that note, in your earlier post you pointed out he walks a fine line and can seem more passive than he is to keep a guest not on the defensive. Makes sense.

I will agree with TYM on the nra. Or at least understand his frustrations. We have to have a zero compromise attitude and deliver. Bump stocks, though I don’t own one or feel the need to, was absolutely insane to offer that up in a ban. I really get his frustrations. I’m tired of both gun grabbers and pro gun people not leaving the second amendment alone. No bans, of any kind ever. No nfa. None. No permits or permission to carry.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station

Thank you Ben, the cliff notes are much appreciated.

Though I didn’t watch that one I’ve seen Joe be Fuddy before on his podcast and I think your observation of him in the first bullet point is spot on.

As far as TYM and the NRA, he’s been on that soapbox for a while. Partially while I quit watching him. It’s an organization that needs to be fixed from the inside instead of destroyed. He wants to destroy it without having a viable replacement and that is an absolute recipe for disaster.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom