The Second Battle of Adobe Walls on June 27, 1874. (Billy Dixon's 1500 yard rifle shot)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • @TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Sharp's 50 rifles set the pattern for long range shooting in Texas

Billy Dixon's Memories of the Second Battle of Adobe Walls Part 1 (Jun 29, 2022)

https://www.texashistorylessons.com...s-of-the-second-battle-of-adobe-walls-part-1/

Billy Dixon's Memories of the Second Battle of Adobe Walls Part 2 (Jul 1, 2022)

A Closer Look at the Second Battle of Adobe Walls (Jul 14, 2022)

https://www.texashistorylessons.com/a-closer-look-at-the-second-battle-of-adobe-walls/

----

Life and Adventures of 'Billy' Dixon (autobiography, copyright 1914) free download no copyright issues.
    A Narrative in which is Described many things Relating to the Early Southwest

Author: Billy Dixon, Frederick Samuel Barde

Guns International

Last edited:

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Quite a few people have viewed my post. I know that the video's are long and the book at the end is not small. I'm curious about opinions of any of the events you watched.The 2nd video reflects events connected to Billy Dixon's famous long shot.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I was raised in Borger TX, attempting that shot from Adobe Walls to the limestone caprock below the marker was a right of passage. I have tried it with a 45-120 original Sharps...lots of waiting before the white puff!

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I was raised in Borger TX, attempting that shot from Adobe Walls to the limestone caprock below the marker was a right of passage. I have tried it with a 45-120 original Sharps...lots of waiting before the white puff!
    Billy Dixon was quite a character. It is fitting he is buried near Adobe Walls. I think these video's were the best treatment of the events as far as historic context. Found them by accident, trying to find a short description of the rifle shot. The usual one was on Wiki and I quit using them for several reasons. So after several searches I found one of the video's on Youtube, then did another search and found the links by the history guy.

My father-in-law's grandmother was full blood Comanche. I know very little about that side of his family. They were from Quanah.

About the long shot. Now the new long shot is over 2 miles. Some 2-1/2 miles.

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Billy Dixon was quite a character, another of his exploits The Buffalo Wallow Fight or the Fight for the Waterhole painting by Remington, was fought West of the family ranch in Wheeler county between Mobeetie and Briscoe. The only engagement in US history where every man was wounded and given the Medal of Honor. That fight also confirmed what a dyed in the wool asshole Col McKensey (sp?) was!

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Billy Dixon was quite a character, another of his exploits The Buffalo Wallow Fight or the Fight for the Waterhole painting by Remington, was fought West of the family ranch in Wheeler county between Mobeetie and Briscoe. The only engagement in US history where every man was wounded and given the Medal of Honor. That fight also confirmed what a dyed in the wool asshole Col McKensey (sp?) was!

We have a local family who had relatives at Adobe Walls, local AG teacher was well informed about what happened there. I did not see it, but was told he had a Paper Patch bullet for a Sharps 50 like used by the buffalo hunters.

Those were interesting times, our county was not cut up until 1885, my ancestors came here in 3 wagons with teams of mules from Coryell County in 1889. No trees except along the Brazos River, very few stores, these were very hardy people. Next country over there were ranchers before that time. They were there before the Indians were removed. Reynolds and Matthews families were there early, think they had an understanding with the Indians. They were ranchers. Watt Matthews was the last patriarch, family still owns their land.

His obit was in the NYT.

Watkins Matthews, Rancher From Bygone Era, Dies at 98 (April 21, 1997)
    (behind pay wall) Quick Control-A Control-C paste in editor

He graduated from Princeton. Wrote several books.

Top Bottom