• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    From GOA,

"...in Texas, HB 2286 would keep state officials from arresting any gun owner who possessed a suppressor without paying the NFA tax."

The amendment passed in the House and posted above would allow those same state officials to support the feds arresting the same gunowner they couldn't arrest themselves, if I understand correctly.

It's a bone tossed to us that may have positive effect in the future, but is just there to placate us for now.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Only if they are working with the feds as part of a task force; if this passes I'm going to have to look to see if our state law has any definition of what constitutes a "task force."

I think the intent is that our state/local police can't hassle someone with a silencer, but if they happen to be assisting the Feds on raid a silencer turns up they can still help the Feds.

That being said there is still always the worry that if the cop who pulls you over for speeding and sees a silencer, if he don't like you he might just call his buddy at the ATF and pass your info along on the sly.

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    My question is how will this affect FFL's? How can they not follow the federal law and not run into trouble selling in the state? Wouldn't their license be at risk? Same goes for the manufacturer. Couldn't the federal government hold them accountable and shut them down? Also seems like a slippery way to lose your gun rights period if the federal government comes after you. Unlike pot, which has similar issues, I would imagine the ATF will hammer you on something like this.

FFLs would still have to adhere to federal law. They won't be able to just sell a silencer over the counter unless the feds also legalize them.

The practical effect of this would have is that if you want to build your own you could and not have to worry about state/local police. The only worry you would have is if the Feds find out and decide to take action. Basically its like how other states are treating marijuana. If the Feds want to deal with it they have to use their own resources to do so.

Texas already has a few gun laws that contradict Federal law. Here if someone is a felon and 5 years have passed after they completed their sentence it is legal for them to keep a gun at home. I read somewhere that the feds don't even bother with those cases.

The other one I know of is that 2 round burst is legal in Texas, since we define a machine gun as firing more than 2 rounds with a pull of a trigger. However I've never heard of any cases dealing with that.

Last edited:

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    This is great news, but it still feels like a couple bones thrown to us gun owners, compared to the constitutional carry steak we should have got...

Yep, just brushing crumbs from the table and telling us to enjoy the feast. Remember this when your Representative holds up their vote for this as proof of their support of your gun rights. Ask them where they were when Dennis Bonnen was shoveling dirt into the grave of Constitutional carry.

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    Looks like the Silencer bill died in the Senate.

Saw this posted on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/texasce/permalink/917818985217274/?comment_id=917827265216446
    Tom G Glass: Yes., Mike Maharrey, I testified for it in the House.! The author, Tom Oliverson, in fact, is my state rep.

But, the bill died in the Senate. It was assigned to the committee of the most anti-liberty of the Republicans in the Senate, Joan Huffman. She refused to hear it in the committee she chairs, the State Affairs Committee.

She chose, instead, to bring up and fast-track a bill that does the opposite of Oliverson's suppressor bill. That bill (HB 1168) duplicated in Texas law, an unnecessary, unconstitutional, wrongheaded, and counterproductive federal law creating a gun free zone in airport operating areas.

I testified against that bill and worked hard against it, falling one vote short of killing it.

Of course, in the Senate, legislation does not pass that Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick does not want to pass, and bills that he allows to pass, pass. It was Dan Patrick, after all, that keeps on appointing Joan Huffman, who has never seen a liberty bill that she likes, to be over the powerful Senate State Affairs Committee. So Dan Patrick is just as responsible for this as Joan Huffman.

So the good Tenth Amendment/Second Amendment bill, HB 2286 was killed by Joan Huffman and Lt. Governor Dan Patrick. And a bad bill (HB 1168) violating the Tenth Amendment and Second Amendment was fast tracked by them.

We still have a chance of stopping HB 1168 by persuading the governor to veto it. And I intend to lead the effort to make it very uncomfortable for the governor to allow it to go into law.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Cant remember the state but there is a case in court right now (GOA is involved) of a similar state law where the Obamacrates wanted to make an example of someone. Granted the 1934 FAA is unconstitutional with regards to suppressors but who has the time and money to sit in a Fed pen hoping the SCOTUS may get the urge to view it. I believe the guy above is a war veteran with no previous record.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    They need to re-evaluate the grading system without a curve.

Absolutely! The current grades are passed out on the basis of voting record. Kill something in committee so it never comes to a vote and the snakes are safe from any repercussions. I'll stick with what I see throughout the session and rely on scores from local grassroots groups who follow legislative shenanigans more closely.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    She went to Republican women's meeting yesterday. Speaker was telling about the voting fraud going on - basically the state voter undersec. saying it's OK to not follow Texas voting law. Don't bother keeping the tapes, numbered ballots not needed, etc. Case went to Tx SC and lost. Courts don't care. Study said Tx Gov was 4th most corrupt in US. No joke!

Top Bottom