• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If you were out of your state when you purchased it, I believe it would have to go through an FFL. If it's shipped from out of state it should be shipped to an FFL. Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong. (as I know you will :green:).

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    About a decade ago in sunny South Florida I had bought and sold a few guns on a local forum and was delighted to find a 3" S&W M65 in great condition for a good price. It was offered by somebody I knew personally from previous transactions. He was answering in the affirmative that the gun, which he was selling for a friend, was "clean" and that he had checked it against the database of stolen guns. Unfortunately he had confused the assembly number with the serial number and my check brought the gun up as stolen about 20 years before I had bought it. He took the gun back, refunded me my money and turned the gun in.

Imagine that I had just trusted his word, or would have done the same mistake when checking the serial number and be stopped a few years later by police for some minor traffic violation and a check would bring the gun up as stolen!

Since then, I prefer to have a bill of sale when I buy a gun.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    They will probably need to see your drivers license so they can enter the info into their logbook.

Yes, there is a “buy ticket” and the seller is recorded in the FFL Log. When I purchase firearms from an individual I have to retain the firearm for 21 days before I can put it out for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    So when you buy the gun and get a bill of sale from the seller, how do you know the seller just didn't make all that stuff up? (phony license, IDs, etc.?)
    I ask for the driver license number and verify it. I had also bought a S&W snubby for my son in SoFlo and the seller was a cop who had asked for my D/L before we met. He checked it. I have no problem with that. If the seller has a problem with verifying his info, I will not make it mine. There are millions of guns out there and I have more than enough guns to satisfy my needs and wants, yet I need to protect my assets and do not want to waste tens of thousands of Dollars going to some defense lawyer.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I need to protect my assets and do not want to waste tens of thousands of Dollars going to some defense lawyer.

It's not that serious. You are free to invent your own personal gun control schemes and use bills of sale, as long as you state as much up front so we can avoid you, but making up hyperbole like this is uncalled for. You sound like a Texas law shield presentation.

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    It's not that serious. You are free to invent your own personal gun control schemes and use bills of sale, as long as you state as much up front so we can avoid you, but making up hyperbole like this is uncalled for. You sound like a Texas law shield presentation.

Sure, sure. There is no substitute for intelligence. Not even post count.

*** added
    I seriously also doubt that you have a gun that I am interested in.

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    How does a bill of sale guarantee you’re not purchasing stolen goods, be it a firearm or something else?

It doesn't but it will still represent some proof. It is a part of due diligence. On the other hand, if I see that I am buying from a serious and straight guy, I will not need it.

How will I know if it is a straight and honest person? I spent a life in sales with enough success to buy 17 Korth revolvers.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I ask for the driver license number and verify it. I had also bought a S&W snubby for my son in SoFlo and the seller was a cop who had asked for my D/L before we met. He checked it. I have no problem with that. If the seller has a problem with verifying his info, I will not make it mine. There are millions of guns out there and I have more than enough guns to satisfy my needs and wants, yet I need to protect my assets and do not want to waste tens of thousands of Dollars going to some defense lawyer.
    Why would you need a defense lawyer?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It doesn't but it will still represent some proof. It is a part of due diligence. On the other hand, if I see that I am buying from a serious and straight guy, I will not need it.

How will I know if it is a straight and honest person? I spent a life in sales with enough success to buy 17 Korth revolvers.

So, what I hear you saying is that you can tell by the person your purchasing from whether or not the property your purchasing from him may or may not have been reported stolen 10 years ago.

The BOS isn’t due diligence. Hell, even places like Hotgunz isn’t really due diligence. I guess if your doing a private party transaction, you could check to see if your local LE will run a serial number search against NCIC to verify there isn’t a record.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    Example: Just met an individual for a transaction. I had met the guy yesterday and took a look at the item. Our schedules would not align for meeting later for the purchase, so we met today. I was not fully comfortable until I met him. Older man, newish 4x4 truck, bullet shortie antenna, AR-15 Come and Take It sticker along with others(Eagle Scout and NRA to name two). Met at Cabela's since he works for a well known government defense contractor. Deal done in a couple of minutes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Example: Just met an individual for a transaction. I had met the guy yesterday and took a look at the item. Our schedules would not align for meeting later for the purchase, so we met today. I was not fully comfortable until I met him. Older man, newish 4x4 truck, bullet shortie antenna, AR-15 Come and Take It sticker along with others(Eagle Scout and NRA to name two). Met at Cabela's since he works for a well known government defense contractor. Deal done in a couple of minutes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    See, I would be leery of YOU. Typically if doing a face to face transaction one party has item, other party has cash. If cash party does not like item, they go separate ways.

I would be highly suspicious of any window shoppers that wanted to meet at a later time after meeting and wanting the item.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom