• Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I guess the question has been answered.

Like stated, if you want a BOS then state that in your ad. This will hurt sales with many members though as it isn't required and could cause problems down the road.

But to each their own.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Hey all! I am wanting to do a private sale on a couple firearms, what rules do I need to abide to in regards with the laws? Back in NC we just meet at a Wal-Mart and do the swap there, hoping the same is acceptable here!

Same here -Just don't knowingly sell to a prohibited person.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'll never figure out why folks think a Bill of Sale has any legal standing. I can make Bills of Sale on my computer printer, put anything I want to say on it, sign any name on it, etc., etc. A third party witnessing the sale might be a good idea, but it's still almost "hearsay". If one really wants to have everything on record, etc., they should make the sale in front of a Notary.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'll never figure out why folks think a Bill of Sale has any legal standing. I can make Bills of Sale on my computer printer, put anything I want to say on it, sign any name on it, etc., etc. A third party witnessing the sale might be a good idea, but it's still almost "hearsay". If one really wants to have everything on record, etc., they should make the sale in front of a Notary.

If you want a paper trail, have an FFL facilitate the xfer. It will be a good primer on how things will be when Universal Background Checks are law. :-)

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    If you want a paper trail, have an FFL facilitate the xfer. It will be a good primer on how things will be when Universal Background Checks are law. :-)
    There ya' go. If I'm not mistaken, all one has to do is to have no reason to believe the buyer (or seller) is not a Texas resident or a convicted felon, etc. It's not required to know what he is or isn't. If you know someone is a felon or not a Texas resident, and you sell them a firearm, then you could be in real trouble.

Last edited:

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    I sold/traded a pistol to a gun shop and they did a bill of sale. Why do they? With the replies I see, I understand why an individual should not do one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    This topic has been hashed over and over for years on here. Some folks just don't understand that a Bill of Sale (although it sounds nice) has no validity unless (maybe) it was done in front of a notary. It's just a piece of feel good paper.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    Definitely feels like what you would do at a gun show with an individual. I always get a kick out of the guy walking around with a flag sticking out of the barrel of their rifle slung over their shoulder with the price they want.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    This topic has been hashed over and over for years on here. Some folks just don't understand that a Bill of Sale (although it sounds nice) has no validity unless (maybe) it was done in front of a notary. It's just a piece of feel good paper.

I use a BOS and record info from their ID (drivers license) so there is a way to identify them. Not worried about it being a "legal document" just want to tell LEs where to go look next if they show up at my door when the firearm turns up at a crime scene.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I use a BOS and record info from their ID (drivers license) so there is a way to identify them. Not worried about it being a "legal document" just want to tell LEs where to go look next if they show up at my door when the firearm turns up at a crime scene.
    I understand but, I'm not giving away my private information to anyone other than law enforcement. Because I don't know what some nefarious individuals would do with it. I'll show them a picture on my Texas D.L. and that should do it for being a Texas resident.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Just curious...is there any paperwork or records if selling to a pawn shop?

Since they’re an FFL I would imagine there would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    I would think so. I have not sold a gun to a pawn shop, but did put one down for a small loan back in the day.

Top Bottom