• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I grab a large rump roast when it's $2.49/lb; slice it into multiple 1/2 thick slabs, put each in a vacuum packed bag, with no seasoning whatsoever, and sous vide them all for about 4 hours at 145F, then freeze them.

Each packet, now pasteurized and cooked in its own juices, is cut 1/4" cubes, and mixed in, along with some of the gravy, with her nightly Instinct Raw frozen food.

She also has a Stella and Cheweys Freeze dried beef patty for breakfast.

That pretty much breaks the cycle of the same same everyday.
    Your dog eats better than I do.
    Texas SOT

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Are you "rotating", or just mixing?

rotating. acana beef w/ sweet potato. Nutro large breed. acana duck & pear.

We feed her twice a day, so a different food each time. I buy the big bags, and pour some into the one gallon ice cream buckets for inside the house.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I think I need to start rotating.
    Our dog only eats once every 1-2 days.
    Sometimes will go 3 days without eating.

She's getting up in years, still fairly active, and eats all the treats I give her though.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was feeding my dog acana salmon dogfood, but it made her stink, so I switched. The fish stuff affect her odor. Inside dog, we noticed.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    36815707_1781080065319690_6103562661247582208_n.jpg

Attachments

• 36815707_1781080065319690_6103562661247582208_n.jpg
      36815707_1781080065319690_6103562661247582208_n.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 267

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    Found this on another Forum.

FDA Releases List of Dog Food Brands That May Cause Heart Disease

https://www.breitbart.com/pre-viral...list-dog-food-brands-may-cause-heart-disease/

"Below is the list of brands the FDA have found with the most cases linked to canine heart disease (DCM):

• Acana, 67.
    • Zignatue, 64.
    • Taste of the Wild, 53.
    • 4Health 32.
    • Earthborn Holistic 32.
    • Blue Buffalo, 31.
    • Nature’s Domain, 29.
    • Fromm, 24.
    • Merrick, 16.
    • California Natural, 15.
    • Natural Balance, 15.
    • Orijen, 12.
    • Nature’s Variety, 11.
    • NutriSource 10.
    • Nutro, 10.
    • Rachael Ray Nutrish, 10."

I don't know how the numbers correlate with quantity of test subjects.
    I've been using "Nutro" for 8-10 years.

Thank you.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    One of my neighbors feeds his 10 year old mixed breed something different every night, usually whatever meat they had for supper.

And stops at the grocery store deli counter everyday for some type of off the bone beef, chicken or turkey, strictly for the dog.

Dog seems to thrive on it.

We’ve fed our Dog’s dry food (for years, often Blue Buffalo or Taste of the Wild, along with food from the table. Our 9 year, 10 mo. old German Shepherd died Nov. 9 with what appeared to be a heart attack. However, she was under Veterinary care for weakness, anemia, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Ehrlichia (both Tick Bourne Rickettsiales), and experiencing Petit mal (absence) seizures. Note that my Wife was also determined to have these same infections. Her treatment was delayed because the Choctaw Healthcare System failed to contact her when her Laboratory Tests came back positive.

Our Dogs both received annual Veterinary Checkups, Vaccinations, and Oral Heart Worm, Flea and Tick Prophylaxis along with any Emergency Care as needed.

This Thread leaves me suspicious about the Dry Dog Food, but there is also worrisome information suggesting that some of the Oral Flea and Tick Rxs may also be causing seizures and killing some of our Dogs*

*(https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...-and-veterinarians-about-potential-neurologic).

Dogs already got a raw deal on life spans and they sure don’t need any more help from us getting to the end of it.....

00230c39348a8cdc0fdd3c277f88a7f5.jpg

‘Dixie’

Attachments

• 00230c39348a8cdc0fdd3c277f88a7f5.jpg
      00230c39348a8cdc0fdd3c277f88a7f5.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 265

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    After she turned 8YO & at the suggestion of my vet, I started COOKING FOR my beloved "Maxamilla".
    (I don't know about canine nutrition to explain the reason for his advice but within a week of starting her on that "special diet" her overall health was 100% better.)

She outlived > 90% of Rotties & I thank her diet of pressure cooked chicken & brown rice (in large part) for her long/healthy life (until the last 2-3 days before she died of old age).

Once I get moved/settled in a new house, I'll SOON have another dog.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I had a part time job in this little neighborhood store over in the Houston Museum District. Once a week we made dog food for Dr. Michael DeBakey trophy wife. It was cooked boneless chicken breast meat brown rice & yogurt.

baboon,

Yogurt made my "Max" sick & sometimes throw up.
    Pressure-cooked chicken "leg quarters" at 35 cents per pound, with brown rice was "tolerated well", even with her previous dietary problems.

It also wasn't much trouble to prepare.

yours, satx

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    I had a part time job in this little neighborhood store over in the Houston Museum District. Once a week we made dog food for Dr. Michael DeBakey trophy wife. It was cooked boneless chicken breast meat brown rice & yogurt.

Was that the renowned Vascular Surgeon (DeBakey)?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Was that the renowned Vascular Surgeon (DeBakey)?

Yes sir. The market manager freaked out because I was not told about her coming & kept telling her what isle dog food was on. At the time there was a commercial "Don't bother the butcher" for Butcher Blend dog food.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I'm finally (SIGH) about to have a new place with a large fenced yard (I won't bore everyone with my trials of trying to find a decent/reasonably-priced house in SATX to rent/lease that allows dogs over 25#.) & am now actively seeking a spayed, adult Doberman, Rottweiler, Shepherd or perhaps a GSP for our new home. - I'm not interested in "raising a puppy".
    (I "inherited" my beloved "Max", when she was about 4YO, from a WWII vet & close friend, who passed away & gave her to me 4 days before he died.)

Truthfully, I would be pleased to find another bitch that is even HALF as "all-around excellent quality" as "Max" was, as I doubt to find another dog, who is as good as she was.
    (As some of my friends here know, "Max" was with me 24/365 & generally within arms-reach whether I was at work, making my "nightly rounds", if my wife & I were shopping/running errands and/or was in our quarters.)
    She seemed to just KNOW and BEFORE "untoward events" happened that they were about to "go bad". - Further, our friends used to ask my late wife, "Aren't you scared to death that your husband is out there alone at night & looking for criminals by himself?"
    She always said, "He is NOT alone. 'Max' is with him & she will protect my guy from harm. They'll be just fine."

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom