• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    Looking for some games to play for target practice. Tonight myself and my lady friends dad decided to see how many times in a row we could put 2 in the center mass and one in the head in quick succession. Each time we did it, we moved the target back a yard. We made it from 7-22 yards. 23 yards and more and your front sight is essentially over the whole target. Hitting the head, forget about it. I’m not holster certified with our range so I was “drawing” from table to chest and out to the sights. He’s holster certified so he drew from there.

Felt good to have a sense of direction when practicing. Before I felt like I was just putting holes in a target.

Anyone have any other games or drills you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Target Sports

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Best varmint kills is fun. Lol too much? You could get those reactive targets. We would put them way out there at say 60 to 80 yards and have fun with our pistols. Or put up a target at 300 ish and use iron sights. Some good fun with a lot of laughs. Use rifles that aren’t that accurate, too. Figure out how to get it there it’s a lot of fun. :roflsmile:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Best varmint kills is fun. Lol too much? You could get those reactive targets. We would put them way out there at say 60 to 80 yards and have fun with our pistols. Or put up a target at 300 ish and use iron sights. Some good fun with a lot of laughs. Use rifles that aren’t that accurate, too. Figure out how to get it there it’s a lot of fun. :roflsmile:

IDK what this thread is about. Just wanted to compliment the newest icon you have there sir

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    This is an indoor range that is 25 yards... so no animals or 60-80 yard shots

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Trying to make smiley faces on silhouette targets is pretty fun. I usually just do 7yrds. with 10 rounds. But stretch out to 20 yrds sometimes to make it a challenge.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    Get a couple set of miniature playing cards and glue them to your target. I use cardboard. Play some poker or black jack by shooting your cards.

I’ll do that next time with him. He’s much more advanced than I am so I bet I lose

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Dot torture. Side by side or one after the other. Gotta clean it to claim the win.

I suggest starting at 3yds.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture
    ^ this & definitely start @ 3 yards.
    Here's a variation for a coach to call your shot:
    Dot call-out drill.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ^ this & definitely start @ 3 yards.
    Here's a variation for a coach to call your shot:
    View attachment 150009

We had drill similar to this with two 4x8 sheets of plywood pasted up with a bunch of these colored shapes.

You’d get a healthy PT workout, then be given UTMs and told to shoot all 4 of one color, 3 of one shape, and 5 of of one color/shape and be timed as well as measured for accuracy. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It’s a good variation of a stress shoot drill and was very eye opening on the effects off prolonged fatigue as you’d do this session over 30 mins or so and the data would get recorded by our physiology dude and our neuroscience dude.

They’d take the results and modify workouts to improve performance over time so that you’d be at peak leading up to a deployment.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Due to my eyesight, and having difficulty seeing my sights against black targets, I shoot the back of paper targets.
    I shoot 1" orange stick on dots.
    I like to see how many shots to make them disappear.
    My typical distance is 10-15 yds.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I eschew the dots because I'm a big believer in blank targets for iron sight practice. Distance and bullet diameter must be sufficient so that you can't see where you're hitting.

So, you pick a spot and shoot a mag or two, then look at the target to see your grouping?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So, you pick a spot and shoot a mag or two, then look at the target to see your grouping?
    Generally, I hold center and shoot 50. Then I look to see what size group and where it's centered.

Notice on this target how the bullets went through it from back to front? That's typical practice for me.

fdbgyxF.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What is the purpose of not being able to see where you are hitting?
    If you can see where you're hitting, you'll (at least I know I will) try to chase the last shot. If it was low and left, I'll try to hold high and right to hit closer to the X. Chasing your shots is one of the fastest ways to let your head get in the way of shooting well.

If you want to know how well you shoot, shoot. Don't try to fix things while establishing a baseline. The only way to keep your head out of the game and establish a true baseline is to not see where you're hitting for a statistically valid number of shots.

The easiest way to do that is to shoot at a blank target far enough away that you can't see your bullet holes.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have the bad habit of looking where my last shot went before shooting again, making effort to stop, but I wouldn't try to adjust my point of aim as you suggest, and am surprised to hear you would.

I know the gun is going to hit where I aim it, and if it's not, I'm doing something wrong during the trigger pull.

Top Bottom