• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Lost a friend on Friday. 45ish. Had a heart attack (widow maker) but survived. Took steps to get better, but less than a year later he's dead.

Don't wait to care for your health.

I started at about 50. But I feel I was a bit ahead of the curve due to my California health nut wife. I had no warning signs and good testing numbers when I started. Just pudgy and didn't sleep well.

Now my numbers are better, I'm 35 lbs lighter, and I sleep like a rock. But I'm not taking it for granted. Time for the next step.
    Gun Zone Deals

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m finding it hard to eat healthy all the time. It will come in waves. Few weeks I’ll be good then I’ll eat like crap again.

I’m picking up a bow flex tomorrow. Figured I’d make an attempt to put muscle back on and keep looking for people that want to do boxing and jui jitsu workouts with me even if they don’t know anything and want to learn. Maybe add some jogging in. It’s weird being near 40...I feel, as fireinthewire describes, slowing down. Yet I know we can still get shit done.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m finding it hard to eat healthy all the time. It will come in waves. Few weeks I’ll be good then I’ll eat like crap again.

I’m picking up a bow flex tomorrow. Figured I’d make an attempt to put muscle back on and keep looking for people that want to do boxing and jui jitsu workouts with me even if they don’t know anything and want to learn. Maybe add some jogging in. It’s weird being near 40...I feel, as fireinthewire describes, slowing down. Yet I know we can still get shit done.
    We live 35mi from the nearest town. So, we never eat out. I think eating at home is a huge step in eating healthy. Eating out is expensive and the food sucks.

The part that is showing signs of age are my hands. My hands hurt all the time. I abuse the hell outta them, but that's just my lifestyle. I can tell going forward, i'm going to have to do some research on hand pain relief.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I have a routine. Salad with chicken on Monday and Wednesday. Baby steps. Last week switched from ranch to vingarette.

When you make a routine it gets easier. Kind of like Tuesday and Friday were leg day for years. I have cheat days and sometimes it's just not convenient, so a burger it is. But the routine remains.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    We live 35mi from the nearest town. So, we never eat out. I think eating at home is a huge step in eating healthy. Eating out is expensive and the food sucks.

The part that is showing signs of age are my hands. My hands hurt all the time. I abuse the hell outta them, but that's just my lifestyle. I can tell going forward, i'm going to have to do some research on hand pain relief.
    Agreed. I’m trying to eat at home more. Right now I wake up at 0200 clock in at 0330, get off around 1500. Feeling like cooking is something I struggle with. Eating out is a huge waste of money.

Try some glucosamine for your hands. I gave it to my dog from when he was maybe 3 to when he died at age 12. When he got too old to jump or wasn’t that fast to get up, he never once got to a point he needed assistance. I think it works to strengthen and lube what’s left in your joints. It doesn’t promote growth from damage.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I started glucosamine chondroitin about 6 years ago, REALLY helped my knees.

I've been giving it to my Sr. dog for about 2 years now, get it at Walmart.

20190422_121553.jpg

Attachments

• 20190422_121553.jpg
      20190422_121553.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 258

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I started glucosamine chondroitin about 6 years ago, REALLY helped my knees.

I've been giving it to my Sr. dog for about 2 years now, get it at Walmart.

View attachment 169995
    Be advised there is debate out there about joint pills for people vs animals. That animals would be better off with glucosamine and no other ingredients obviously other than the filler like sulfate. But IMO it’s more for when a dog is young and on pills for his remaining life. Like why I only buy ol Roy or purina dog food as there is IMO vets want to sell their brand of food and claim its healthy. Well I’m not sure it’s healthy for our four legged friends as vitamin c is added to many “all natural “ dog foods. The reality is dogs produce it internally unlike humans who produce it by external means aka food. So a dog by eating food not meant to produce large amounts or any absorbic acid like raw meat, eats it and produces normal levels. It’s been thought too high of levels in dogs for long periods can damage organs.

So that’s why I just use straight glucosamine sulfate because i believe most joint pills for pets are just marketing and they don’t need everything that’s in it. Just food for thought only if ya decide to start a pup on it.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am now 70 and I have lost count of the number of folks I knew who never made it this far. At 59 I had my widow maker...3 weeks before my 60th birthday. ER doc told my family I should have died. 10 years later I am still above the sod...moving a bit slower than before but still moving. I have never been a health or exercise nut but I have done my share of eating healthy, exercising, and have taken supplements for at least 30 years. What I did do was leave a $250K a year job that was killing me and started consulting which is a feast or famine thing but removed me from the stress of managing 300-400 employees and dealing with a $50 million budget. When I had my heart attack I had been out of the workplace for 3 years, was on a solid exercise routine and was eating healthy. Had I still been working, I am sure I would have died because the stress, bad habits at work and spending 50 hours week behind a desk would have left me with reduced resistance.

I can recall sitting at home after being discharged from the hospital...despite being strong as a horse back then, I could barely walk from one room to another. I spent 8 hours a day on my patio, reading the Bible and looking out at the ducks, pheasants and quail that populated the marsh behind the house. I kept repeating every Scripture that testified to the Lord healing the heart. My favorite was Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord". Two years later I had an EKG and the doctor asked me what I had been doing...he said my heart function had improved by 30% which, with the kind of damage I had suffered, simply was not supposed to happen.

On the whole, I only have about 40% function of my heart but I believe, with the Lord's help, that it is enough to take me to the time that He has prepared for me to return home.

God bless all of you, my brothers, age is just one more step in the process. I like to think of it as a "Second Spring"

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am now 70 and I have lost count of the number of folks I knew who never made it this far. At 59 I had my widow maker...3 weeks before my 60th birthday. ER doc told my family I should have died. 10 years later I am still above the sod...moving a bit slower than before but still moving. I have never been a health or exercise nut but I have done my share of eating healthy, exercising, and have taken supplements for at least 30 years. What I did do was leave a $250K a year job that was killing me and started consulting which is a feast or famine thing but removed me from the stress of managing 300-400 employees and dealing with a $50 million budget. When I had my heart attack I had been out of the workplace for 3 years, was on a solid exercise routine and was eating healthy. Had I still been working, I am sure I would have died because the stress, bad habits at work and spending 50 hours week behind a desk would have left me with reduced resistance.

I can recall sitting at home after being discharged from the hospital...despite being strong as a horse back then, I could barely walk from one room to another. I spent 8 hours a day on my patio, reading the Bible and looking out at the ducks, pheasants and quail that populated the marsh behind the house. I kept repeating every Scripture that testified to the Lord healing the heart. My favorite was Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord". Two years later I had an EKG and the doctor asked me what I had been doing...he said my heart function had improved by 30% which, with the kind of damage I had suffered, simply was not supposed to happen.

On the whole, I only have about 40% function of my heart but I believe, with the Lord's help, that it is enough to take me to the time that He has prepared for me to return home.

God bless all of you, my brothers, age is just one more step in the process. I like to think of it as a "Second Spring"
    I think stress is the biggest overlooked health issue. Stress is brutal on the body. I'm fortunate enough to live a low stress life. I try to keep it as low as possible.

Awesome post and testament.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I think stress is the biggest overlooked health issue. Stress is brutal on the body. I'm fortunate enough to live a low stress life. I try to keep it as low as possible.

Awesome post and testament.

Stress along with a basket of other things have taken their toll on me. Eat healthier, try to reduce stress and be happy.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin

If your heart function (EF or ejection fraction) is 40% that is not a really bad number. Normal EF is not 100%. If your EF is 40% of normal that is getting down there. I'm not saying it's the case in your situation but those numbers can be confusing to patients. You hear a dr say "your heart function is 40%" that sounds bad but normal EF is 55+%.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Condolences on your loss.....

Life is like stud poker...got to play the hand you're dealt...........Life isn't fair and we can be dealt a shitty hand......

Never thought I'd see 62....but here I am....

I'm enjoying it for as long as it lasts............

Top Bottom