• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigwojman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2023
    Houston
    Good morning! New to the site so posting for the first time. I am patiently waiting to receive my first suppressor, ordered in February, sometime this fall. In advance of receiving it, interested in finding out some options around suppressor covers like preferred brand(s), types (Velcro, corded), length relative to length of suppressor and any other options folks may have encountered, both good and bad.

Appreciate the insights!

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Subscribing to the thread for wisdom.

My understanding is they're thermal jackets so after you've shot a couple mags your sight picture isn't distorted by the heat coming off the can. Also acting as an oven mit so you occasionally can give it a screwed-on check without burning your hands or getting an actual oven mit. Probably somewhat necessary for longer ranges and accuracy, probably just a tactical accessory for shorter ranges where heat distortion won't be a huge issue anyway. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Plinker300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Katy
    First, welcome to the forum! Second, congrats on the suppressor purchase. It probably will be the first of many..

I’ve done a little research on suppressor covers, mostly for my bolt action .308- my goal is to cut down or eliminate the heat wave “mirage” that rises into the scope view after a few rounds.

For the most part, they all wrap around the device fairly tightly- they essentially insulate it. This keeps the heat from rising into view. Unfortunately, the big downside is that they trap a lot of that heat in the can. This may really shorten the life expectancy of the can. It may also affect barrel life. I suggest taking a laser thermometer (harbor freight has one) with you to the range so you can see actual temperatures during use.

There is one brand that I found which is simply an outer cover, larger than the can, that is vented on the bottom sides. I think they’re made of carbon fiber? If were to buy one, that’s the direction I would go. As little as I shoot, I can’t currently justify it.

Which can did you buy? That’s the important question!!!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A have one for the MP5K suppressor & one on my 5.56 as those are both full auto rated cans & tend to get the hottest. My .308 lacks a cover as does the .22 full auto rated on the dedicated .22 upper. Neither integrally .22 rifle or pistol have covers nor does my .40 pistol suppressor.

They tend to slid forward if not find onto something they add bulk & you still can get burned if not careful. Now I might buy a .22 cover for the dedicated upper.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I dont use one unless I am shooting a semi.

Takes too long for the silencer to cool down between groups on bolt guns with it on imo

That said, for my ARs I use SilencerCos high temp cover. Its outstanding. I have also own ColeTacs HTP and it is just as good

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Cole TAC is what I use. I have one of the Silencerco ones but it slips a lot any rifle shooting .308 Win or larger.

For heavy recoiling rifles I add the tether to keep it in place.

They have suppressor specific models or they will make a custom based on your dimensions.

They are made to order and made in the USA.

As far as cool down, if that’s a concern on a titanium can or end of shooting session, just remove it and let the can cool down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bigwojman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2023
    Houston
    First, welcome to the forum! Second, congrats on the suppressor purchase. It probably will be the first of many..

I’ve done a little research on suppressor covers, mostly for my bolt action .308- my goal is to cut down or eliminate the heat wave “mirage” that rises into the scope view after a few rounds.

For the most part, they all wrap around the device fairly tightly- they essentially insulate it. This keeps the heat from rising into view. Unfortunately, the big downside is that they trap a lot of that heat in the can. This may really shorten the life expectancy of the can. It may also affect barrel life. I suggest taking a laser thermometer (harbor freight has one) with you to the range so you can see actual temperatures during use.

There is one brand that I found which is simply an outer cover, larger than the can, that is vented on the bottom sides. I think they’re made of carbon fiber? If were to buy one, that’s the direction I would go. As little as I shoot, I can’t currently justify it.

Which can did you buy? That’s the important question!!!
    Thanks for the response! I bought a titanium 7.62 mm QD Thunder Chicken by Q so that I can use it on a number of different platforms. Been looking at Burn Proof Gear covers but realize that I will likely end up having to try / test a few in order to find the one that works best. We have several long range shots at our deer lease, ranging from 550 - 1,200 yds. Limiting mirage-effect my number one reason for a cover.

Great insights and recommendations…might go to Harbour Freight today to get a laser thermo.

bigwojman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2023
    Houston
    Cole TAC is what I use. I have one of the Silencerco ones but it slips a lot any rifle shooting .308 Win or larger.

For heavy recoiling rifles I add the tether to keep it in place.

They have suppressor specific models or they will make a custom based on your dimensions.

They are made to order and made in the USA.

As far as cool down, if that’s a concern on a titanium can or end of shooting session, just remove it and let the can cool down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Slippage during shooting is what I am hoping to avoid. Will be shooting .300 B/O, .308 and 6.5 CM with the suppressor. Some wrap around the back side of the can to help with this issue. Will definitely check out Cole TAC.

Thanks!

Plinker300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Katy
    Modtac (Modern Tactical) is the one I was looking at. YouTube has a few videos of different brands of covers being reviewed. Might be worth spending a Sunday afternoon doing research.. hope this helps! And if you’d like to go to the range sometime, let me know. I’ll bring my SiCo Omega.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Cole tac makes ok ones.

Personally, I'm not a fan. Unless you have an oddly shaped can like say, a LaRue tranquilo or like an AB raptor, the wrap will come loose, or just slide off.

While it will cut down on some mirage, it traps more heat and will take much longer to cool.

You'll probably melt it before too long. Even "full auto" ones.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I run rifles only covers on all of my cans. I’m not a big semi auto person so mine primarily live on bolt guns. I usually shoot in 10rd strings and have zero complaints. To mitigate any potential slipping forward I run a loop of the corset string around the barrel behind the can as pictured.
    66337db48590a3bb4670343a8ebabf28.jpg

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Being serious, why do you want one?

They have some very specific benefits and a fair amount of negatives. Unless you need one for a very specific task and are willing to deal with the cons, they aren't something I would normally recommend.

bigwojman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2023
    Houston
    Interesting comments. The idea of a suppressor cover for me is two-fold: reduce / mitigate mirage-effect and protection from hot surfaces. That being said, I have read about some of the issues related to overheating and possible damage to both the suppressor and the cover.

I am a first-time suppressor purchaser and am yet to receive it, so do not what kind of mirage-effects, if any, will be prevalent with my set up. I have buddies with suppressors and all of them have covers; I have not heard any discussion of the cover damaging their suppressors due to insulation of heat.

I avoid the hot portions of my firearms anyway, but have heard that the extended nature of the suppressor makes it easier to accidentally burn yourself.

Be interested to hear what you mean in regards to “the cons” and if I am unaware of other potential problems.

Thanks!

M

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Interesting comments. The idea of a suppressor cover for me is two-fold: reduce / mitigate mirage-effect and protection from hot surfaces. That being said, I have read about some of the issues related to overheating and possible damage to both the suppressor and the cover.

I am a first-time suppressor purchaser and am yet to receive it, so do not what kind of mirage-effects, if any, will be prevalent with my set up. I have buddies with suppressors and all of them have covers; I have not heard any discussion of the cover damaging their suppressors due to insulation of heat.

I avoid the hot portions of my firearms anyway, but have heard that the extended nature of the suppressor makes it easier to accidentally burn yourself.

Be interested to hear what you mean in regards to “the cons” and if I am unaware of other potential problems.

Thanks!

M
    Biggest con is spending the money on something that will probably melt anyways.

The cover will retain more heat, so while it will stave of mirage for a bit, once you get mirage, it will take longer for it to disappear.

Top Bottom