Capitol Armory ad

Suppressor Barrel Threading (and other questions).

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    This info I'm looking for may, or may not, have been addressed before. Forgive me if I didn't search enough.
    I have a CZ 527 (bolt action carbine) 7.62x39 that shoots like a laser if I do my part. I'd like to put a suppressor on it. The "thickened" area around the muzzle of the barrel (that has the front sight on it) is exactly 1/2" diameter (OD). My thought is to get the sight (only) milled off, thread the muzzle 1/2 x 28 (that I believe is the standard for a .22 caliber) and then get an adapter that has a female 1/2 by 28 thread pattern on one end and the male end threaded 5/8 x 24 (which I believe is the standard for a .30 caliber). I would then be able to attach a .30 cal. suppressor (one built for the 7.62 x 39, as the bullet diameter on that caliber is .311) to the adapter. Does this make sense to you folks (that are more familiar with suppressors than I)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I've heard of that done. I never personally thought there was enough barrel left after threading 1/2x28 on a 30 cal bore even with the adapters you talk about.

Edit
    Wait, I just reread and you have 1/2" od at muzzle. I dont think you will have enough shoulder to seat on.
    You can get a thread adapter that seats on the muzzle but then you need to make sure the muzzle is square to the bore.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Isn't a 1/2" dia. barrel enough to threat it 1/2 X 28" I've had a little experience with threading (not for a suppressor) and 1/2" OD would seem perfect for a 1/2 dia. with 28 threads per inch. Just re-read your post. I see what you're saying. Wont the adapter stop when it runs out of threads or would it need some some sort of "stop" (other than the threading). Seems like when the threads stop, the adapter could't go any further. I might not be visualizing this correctly.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    The bullet going through the end of the barrel at the muzzle now is the 7.62x39 (.311 dia.). I need to get more data on the diameters of the dept of the thread, etc. I'm too tired right now to think straight. :green: Thanks for bringing that up!

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    You need a surface for the suppressor or brake to sit against that insures it is square with the bore axis. Usually the barrel is larger in diameter and when cut down makes this OD step change. Pull the flash hider off an AR barrel to see what I'm talking about.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl0OFHMOryiWAs2qoDh9qQNjQ_MYSy43CpoP9zyoIpa75lLXlPaQ.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl0OFHMOryiWAs2qoDh9qQNjQ_MYSy43CpoP9zyoIpa75lLXlPaQ.jpg
      images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl0OFHMOryiWAs2qoDh9qQNjQ_MYSy43CpoP9zyoIpa75lLXlPaQ.jpg
      2.8 KB · Views: 234

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    PRECISION-ARMAMENT-M4-SHOULDERLESS-MUZZLE-THREAD-ADAPTER-1.jpg

I think this is what you are looking for. 1/2x28 to 5/8x24. I threaded my ram 700 30-06 and its muzzle diameter was 0.660. I threaded 5/8x24 or 0.625 and it was barely enough to make me comfortable with mounting my suppressor and ensuring I won't have a baffle strike. I also mount using a brake that is rockset in place.

Attachments

• PRECISION-ARMAMENT-M4-SHOULDERLESS-MUZZLE-THREAD-ADAPTER-1.jpg
      PRECISION-ARMAMENT-M4-SHOULDERLESS-MUZZLE-THREAD-ADAPTER-1.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 264

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks! I thought that's what you were talking about. I'll have to check again and see how much length the thickened end of the barrel has. It's not very much (1/2") +/-. Which would probably not be enough. I'll do some measuring and take a picture when I get home (assuming I'm not washed off the road down here!). Thanks for your help. :banana:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I would find a better host more suited to being threaded. Your solution involves stacking a whole bunch of less than best practice methods.

But if you want to this route, I would talk morgan at class 3

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Renegade is correct.

You've got a barrel that's way too thin, and then threading it is going to cause it to have no shoulder. Then using adapters to get it to where it needs to be. Too much tolerance stacking.

There are some things that will work, until they don't. This is probably one. (I used a mountain dew bottle as a gas tank on a motorcycle and attached it via an extension cord. It got me home, but in NO WAY would I actually do that unless it was an emergency. Same logic here... not a good idea, but if you HAVE to do it, at least talk to Morgan.)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom