• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That's why you have lightning rods... And in some parts of Texas, houses like that are a lot more common than down here along the Gulf Coast.
    I'm well aware of lightning rods, but have never been in a house which had them.
    Do you have lightning rods on your house?

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    I'm well aware of lightning rods, but have never been in a house which had them.
    Do you have lightning rods on your house?

I don't have them on my house. It's a one story house with trees that are higher than it and the neighboring houses are 2-story. A college buddy of mine who lives up north of Dallas bought a house back in the 1990s, IIRC, and it has lightning rods on it. They get more of those thunderstorms from the Midwest coming down, I suspect. When I lived in North Louisiana, people didn't tend to have lightning rods, they had tall *pine trees*. Those things sure do seem to attract the lightning. :) When your house is surrounded by 70-90 ft pine trees, it probably isn't going to make a difference if you put lightning rods on your house since the pine trees are more likely to get struck first.

Fred Defender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Alachua, FL
    Well, here I am on another gun forum. I have been a member of 1911 dot com for the past four years or so. I have just begun my search for a video security system. I figured that gun folks would be all over this stuff. Alas, the 1911 forum does not have a "non-firearms-related" section, so I did a search for "gun forum home security" and it brought me here. So here's a firearms enthusiast looking for info on security systems. And who would know this stuff better than Texans?

The wife and I live in a very rural area of North Florida on five acres. In fifteen years, we have never had a problem with break-ins - and I want to keep it that way. We are on a dead-end private right-of-way and we have a yard full of dogs (4) who alert us pretty well when anyone happens to come by. But the neighbor is complaining about the dogs barking - and he hasn't even moved into his new house yet. So I want to keep an eye on him as well as possible outside riffraff.

I am an old geezer (older than most you, I'm betting) and not very tech savvy. So the amount of information and the plethora of acronyms is pretty mind-blowing. And, like everything else, technology is advancing rapidly. I want to make sure that I have, maybe not cutting-edge, but something reasonably up-to-date. Somewhere in this thread, somebody linked to Amcrest. The Amcrest 960H series seems to get pretty decent reviews. I've read here and elsewhere to avoid wireless. Makes sense to me even though I am cringing at the thought of having to run a lot of cable. I don't have a big house but it is 2-story and I want to have at least one camera on my second story soffit aimed out toward my front gate. I'm thinking that I should go for an 8-channel NVR even if I only want four cameras initially. That way, I have the option to expand, correct?

It's not that money is no object. But, like firearms, it's our safety and well-being. Then again, I don't want to spend a lot of of money that I don't have to. Any advice that anyone might have for a neophyte would be greatly appreciated.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    if you can run cables, do it.
    Hell I would run visible cables over wifi cams.

Right now I use 6MP cams that are super-wide angle, about $70/ea

POE switch is $50-200+ depending on how many ports

I use Blue Iris software, very popular, $60 when I got it a few years back.

Of course a computer on top of that, with. decent internet.

You can eliminate the POE switch and computer if you get a "NVR" basically the brains/storage/connections to the cameras. Remote viewing still requires internet.

b5cb8cc552050293750f68e4f0043028.jpg
    1bbf2b384563c46fd48fbf4003e60b3b.jpg
    ce7fbf797acfd97c0d412ad407175ef0.jpg
    d5ba8a3bdb271b46baa6dd0d9a2fd4ff.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members