• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Looking for some sort of camera for my house that I can log into while away that will let me view and send me alerts if there is movement in my home.
    ARJ Defense ad

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I know amazon has lots but I don't know what is good and what is crap.
    I have used this one. It is easy to setup and the software is straight forward. I can monitor from my phone or pc. Also free software and no cloud. You can record to a remote device if you want. They have memory card slots uo to 32gb continuous recording.

Wireless IP Security Camera,ENKLOV WIFI Home Video Monitoring Surveillance Camera with Night Vision,Pan/Tilt,Two-Way Audio,Motion Detection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y28JQP2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_NuWgAb3GCH0SM

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Arlo by Netgear. Completely wire free. They are battery powered, so you need to set them up differently than you would with wired cameras that can record all of the time.

You can have up to 5 cameras with free cloud storage for 7 days. You can download any file you like before the 7 days for no charge. The Pro and Pro 2 have even more options. I have a set of four now, and will be adding at least one more.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Minimum 1080p at 30fps. 4MP is preferred. Whatever the night vision/IR distance is, cut that by 1/3 for a more realistic distance. Cut it in 1/2 to 2/3 for facial features to be clear. Personally I do not recommend a wireless system unless your property requires it. Wireless is fine for internal, but external a PoE system is preferred.

Many of the wireless options require you to pay for cloud storage to access recordings. This is not ideal. A dedicated wired setup with built-in storage does not reuqire a monthly fee. You can access on mobile devices easily.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Damn straight on the storage - definitely look at the costs of that. I've got a Nest camera - works great and the software to set it up, view it on my phone etc. work flawlessly.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    i used foscam, had 4 recently. good picture quality, and the models i used were $100/ea awhile back, $50 now. Just took them down today and gave them to the lady next door.

Wifi cameras... can be very unreliable.. Many times I pulled my hair out missing a clip, or checking the live feed and seeing 1 (or 2 or 3 or all 4) offline.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    If you know how to set up a NAS or network shared drive you can do some of the offloading of storage yourself. That being said, some of those are probably proprietary and force you to use their cloud storage.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    for software, I use blue iris. Highly configurable and all the guys on ipcamtalk use it, whatever that's worth.
    Only $60 and the app is $10 IIRC.

Had it backing up triggered clips to dropbox.

My new setup (8 or 9 POE) will record 24/7 on a 4tb HDD. should probably get about 2 weeks on that.

I just picked up a skybell for integration with my security system and alarm.com. Pretty slick, my wifi signal here is great so it has been reliable.
    I wish they made something as user-friendly as skybell/ring, but as configurable as the pro stuff. Proprietary sucks...

Sent from my SIG Sauer

DarkwingDuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Minimum 1080p at 30fps. 4MP is preferred. Whatever the night vision/IR distance is, cut that by 1/3 for a more realistic distance. Cut it in 1/2 to 2/3 for facial features to be clear. Personally I do not recommend a wireless system unless your property requires it. Wireless is fine for internal, but external a PoE system is preferred.
    QFT

However I'm crusty so I'd tweak your suggestion ...:grenade:
    Personally I do not recommend a wireless system for any reason. Wireless is a fscking nightmare for reliability, so a PoE system is preferred.
    Many NVRs now include PoE switches built in, so if you are going for local storage with a NVR you may not even need a separate PoE switch. Look for cameras which support "real" PoE (802.3af or 802.3at) not that passive PoE crap (like Ubiquiti's UniFi -- and others -- cameras use). Passive PoE is NOT a standard so you'd be stuck with a single vendor for camera, switch and NVR. If you are going for a computer based solution (Blue Iris, ZoneMinder, Shinobi, etc), PoE switches can be found for as little as $50. Avoid PoE injectors or midspans, unless you will only need 1 camera ... EVER.
    i used foscam, had 4 recently. good picture quality, and the models i used were $100/ea awhile back, $50 now.
    Foscam US in no longer affiliated with Shenzhen Foscam; they are now Amcrest (rebadging Dahua cameras). Also take a look at Hikvision ($), Dahua ($), Vivotek ($$) and Axis ($$$). Stay away from the no-brand Chinese clones/imports on Amazon: the firmware is often in Chinese so, um, good luck with the config. Also many of those have security flaws (hardcoded backdoors or even communicate with China servers for ... reasons)
    Wifi cameras... can be very unreliable.. Many times I pulled my hair out missing a clip, or checking the live feed and seeing 1 (or 2 or 3 or all 4) offline.
    QFT ... because wireless is a fscking nightmare for reliability.:banghead:
    If you know how to set up a NAS or network shared drive you can do some of the offloading of storage yourself.
    Along those lines, look for an IP camera with a SD card slot -- you can save directly to the camera (while simultaneously offloading to FTP, WebDAV or third-party cloud storage).
    That being said, some of those are probably proprietary and force you to use their cloud storage.
    ONVIF. If an IP camera supports ONVIF, you'll be able to connect to third party cloud storage such as Box, DropBox, MangoCam or CamCloud or third party NVRs. That's why Nest/DropCam cameras (currently) can never be connected to anything but Nest storage: no ONVIF support.

DWD

Last edited:

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I have EZVIZ, got them at Amazon. Have a system and then the single cameras. They all run on same app, work great, no issues. I have installed them in friends and families also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Oh, I see. I have a Night Owl system, it has worked well. There are soo many choices that it gets confusing looking at all that.
    Yea it is confusing lol I want wireless but at the same time sometimes wireless can be a pain in the ass and I really don't want to run cable

Top Bottom