• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Had a friend ask me “where is there public hunting land for squirrels”? In central Texas.

So I’m asking for him on here. Where if any?
    Military Camp

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    In the National Forests. Sam Houston and Angelina. I'm sure there are other places. I'm glad to hear someone else has my same interest!

There is nothing like a pot of squirrel dumplings!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I read an article a few months back about how squirrel hunting has dropped dramatically in Texas. Probably a lot of different reasons, including the expense of a lease that goes longer than just deer season. Cat squirrels pushed out a lot of the fox squirrels, and the "cats" are smaller and a little harder to hunt.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Lots of BLM, National Parks and such to shoot in, just got to look em up for your location. I don't have that problem, so never looked into it.

"cats" are smaller and a little harder to hunt
    Just use that to sharpen up your aiming ;) Cat squirrels are a bit more challenging, but I like a good challenge.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Growing up, we had a single pecan tree on the corner lot we lived on in Houston. My father and grandfather grafted and planted the tree when I was about four. When the tree started producing pecans, it was swarming with squirrels!

At about ten, I got a Sheridan (Maybe it was a Benjamin) 5mm pellet gun.

My job was to keep squirrels out of dad's beloved tree! That pellet rifle fed our appetite for squirrel. I swear they would walk the wire between telephone poles for blocks just to get to that tree.

Without exaggeration, we probably took 100 of them from that tree during the 15 or so years I lived in that house!

Dad liked squirrel, more importantly, he had declared war with them over those pecans! I think the squirrels won, as I don't ever remember harvesting more than a handful of pecans per season!

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    My mom told me about how her dad used to hunt squirrels in Pasadena with a Winchester Model 12 in 20 ga. She said she wouldn't eat them but my grandparents did. I use his shotgun to hunt dove with now.

I use my pellet gun in the back yard for squirrels. I don't eat them I just get tired of seeing them eat my dog's food. My damn dogs will just lay there and watch them.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I had one tear up one of my dogs pretty bad. My dogs made sport of chasing them between the fence and the trees in the yard One of my dogs eventually caught a squirrel before he made the fence. All hell broke loose. Dog #2 joined in. Dog#1 had caught said squirrel by the tail, leaving him free to latch onto dog#2's nose!

It was horrible. Dog #1 shaking the squirrel while it was clamped into dog#2's nose. The squirrel eventually succumbed. Dog #2 needed stitches and NEVER, EVER chased another squirrel.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    When we lived in Odessa there were squirrels that would terrorize my blue healer, and they would run across the 6’ tall cinder block wall teasing her. One day she figured out if she ran at the wall and bounced off it, she could get her head high enough to grab one. She hit the ground with it in her mouth, and the other dog grabbed it by the tail. This was followed by the grossest tug o war I’ve ever seen. The squirrel was screaming, the wife and kids were screaming, the dogs were growling at each other and pulling. It was bad. Squirrels never ran across that cinder block wall again. They’re smarter than I thought.

And in case anyone wants to know, each dog got half.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    My blue heeler would catch and eat squirrels all the time. They wouldn't hit the ground if they didn't have to. We also saw her playing tug-o-war with our boxer once. She one and ate the whole thing. God I miss that dog. She was a hoot!

DojTcVQVfs0N2nhOUKFDjfCS_oIDT-P6gN5OTGkG-AlTUNQVPC4Od-dU2fGmdTUfJJvul87cYaQ1YB_Z-H=w1136-h865-no.jpg

Attachments

• DojTcVQVfs0N2nhOUKFDjfCS_oIDT-P6gN5OTGkG-AlTUNQVPC4Od-dU2fGmdTUfJJvul87cYaQ1YB_Z-H=w1136-h865-no.jpg
      DojTcVQVfs0N2nhOUKFDjfCS_oIDT-P6gN5OTGkG-AlTUNQVPC4Od-dU2fGmdTUfJJvul87cYaQ1YB_Z-H=w1136-h865-no.jpg
      321.5 KB · Views: 189

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've never shot at a squirrel.

However, talking about tug of war, my mother witnessed 2 of our dogs do it with a cat once in the backyard. Both ran in grabbed it, and ran back out...

Top Bottom