• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Late last week, me and my son decided to try and get one of the many gobblers we have been hearing at our place lately.
    I had went out the night before and located one not far from our east pasture, he was roosting in a stand of oaks off the creek bed.
    He had been gobbling on and off leading up to roosting so I knew about where he would be come first light.
    We eased down there and set up a makeshift blind from some branches I had cut off a cedar tree last month. He was using my dad’s old 1965 Lynch’s box call that became mine when my dad died last year.

We had set up a jake and hen decoy and he came down from the roost to our calls but not immediately to the decoys. He was a little timid acting and the wind was howling, but with a little more coaxing he came strutting in where my son took his new Benelli Vinci and took him out.
    The gobbler never complained once.

Saturday evening, we breaded and pan fried one of the nearly 2 lbs a piece breast and it was might tasty

20190419_072142.jpg

20190423_184404.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• 20190419_072142.jpg
      20190419_072142.jpg
      769.3 KB · Views: 353
    • 20190423_184404.jpg
      20190423_184404.jpg
      925.4 KB · Views: 336

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yep.
    The Rio Grande gobbler don't need any ageing or soaking.
    Those breast fillets are plenty lean and tasty right away.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Late last week, me and my son decided to try and get one of the many gobblers we have been hearing at our place lately.
    I had went out the night before and located one not far from our east pasture, he was roosting in a stand of oaks off the creek bed.
    He had been gobbling on and off leading up to roosting so I knew about where he would be come first light.
    We eased down there and set up a makeshift blind from some branches I had cut off a cedar tree last month. He was using my dad’s old 1965 Lynch’s box call that became mine when my dad died last year.

We had set up a jake and hen decoy and he came down from the roost to our calls but not immediately to the decoys. He was a little timid acting and the wind was howling, but with a little more coaxing he came strutting in where my son took his new Benelli Vinci and took him out.
    The gobbler never complained once.

Saturday evening, we breaded and pan fried one of the nearly 2 lbs a piece breast and it was might tasty

View attachment 170283

View attachment 170284
    That looks delicious. Too Bad we don’t know somebody close by that has a crap load of them things running around his property. And maybe photographic evidence of them too.

Top Bottom