• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    THE "GUNSLINGER"

Many years back, while living @ Midland in West Texas, my first Texas “CHL” license came through.

Wife had given me one of those nice GALCO “Don Johnson” shoulder harness holster rigs, like Don wore on “Miami Vice”.

I had an unfired GLOCK 21 which fit.

One Saturday morning I had to go out to an old caliche clay quarry to meet the trainer who was working with my Labrador Retriever.

Donned the rig, GLOCK in place, put a windbreaker over, & headed out.

After an hour or so, trainer noticed the big gun under my London Fog, and asked to see it.

Sure! I reached under my jacket, grasped the GLOCK by its handle grip and pulled. And pulled, and pulled. Gun wouldn’t budge!

Damn, did someone super-glue it in for a “joke”?

Removed jacket, trainer pulled; no go. Took the rig off, stood on harness, we both pulled. Not a millimeter. Stuck!

Remember that a round was chambered, so we had to be really careful.

I finally gave-up, took it home, & used some shop tools to release the GLOCK.

Called GALCO for advice. They had heard of this, but hadn’t ever seen a real case of it.

It took about a week-&-a -half holster “break-in” exercises before the gun could be drawn normally!

Now, I think: “What would have happened had I really needed my gun for an emergency?” There is a lesson here. Likely several lessons here.

I later learned that, before Don Johnson & Miami Vice, that same holster rig was sold under the name “Jackass Rig”. Small wonder why!

Rick
    Military Camp

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Excuse me while I whip this out..............................................
    Hold on.................while I.....................
    ...............................................uh...........
    while.................. I.....................uh............
    Dammit!.............

Last edited:

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    leVieux.....as per ur avitar. when i was but a wee lad in the 50s PALADIN was my favorite show so of course i had to have a big ole cap pistol i shot bad guys with while watching the show. one day my dad asked me why i had such a confused look on my face as it was glued to the tv. i said i couldn't figure why he had HALF a gun and why did he want to travel with it? tv went off and i got sent outside to play. from then on the tv was called the dumb as a rock box.

Last edited:

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Ordered a new Galco Combat Master for my new 1911 and had the same issue. Once the gun was in the holster and was wearing it with the belt it was impossible to draw no matter what. I have been using the place in a plastic bag and keep it holstered and drawing and holstering for some time now. At some point I guess it will break in. Can't use it for anything until then.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ordered a new Galco Combat Master for my new 1911 and had the same issue. Once the gun was in the holster and was wearing it with the belt it was impossible to draw no matter what. I have been using the place in a plastic bag and keep it holstered and drawing and holstering for some time now. At some point I guess it will break in. Can't use it for anything until then.

This is difficult to understand, as those holsters were both made for the make & model gun used.
    I have dozens of pieces of GALCO equipment, and have noticed numerous recent problems, especially with their "gun belts". I have several which have failed, or never worked from the beginning. For their prices, their stuff should work and hold-up. leVieux

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This is difficult to understand, as those holsters were both made for the make & model gun used.
    I have dozens of pieces of GALCO equipment, and have noticed numerous recent problems, especially with their "gun belts". I have several which have failed, or never worked from the beginning. For their prices, their stuff should work and hold-up. leVieux
    Maybe it's a Chicago thing.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Or just a cool white Ferrari.

Better yet, an epic mustache, Hawaiin shirt, BDU shorts, Ferrari 308 and a M1911A1 (somwhere/some how concealed in that clothing.)

The main handgun used by Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck) is a Colt MKIV/Series 70 Government Model, 9×19mm Parabellum, serial number 70L33101, currently owned by the National Firearms Museum. Note the line on the magazine that's different from an M1911A1's magazine in the image below.

The 9mm version of the Government Model was chosen for reliable functioning with readily available blanks. In the context of the show, Magnum's pistol was playing the role of a .45 ACP however, given that various characters referred to it as a "forty-five" several times throughout the series. A former propmaster for the show has been quoted saying that the original gun was a traditional .45 ACP 1911, but was soon changed to a 9mm version because .45 ACP blanks were too hard to get on location for the show.

800px-MagnumS1_14.jpg

Source: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Magnum_P.I._-_Season_1

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    I have had similar problems new leather holsters until I discovered this:

https://mitchrosen.com/order-online/#!/Leather-Lightning/p/42633067/category=10984035

I remember practically dislocating my shoulder trying to draw from a new holster. Then after applying the pistol jumped out of the holster so fast I nearly threw it across the room.

I find a bottle does 3-4 full size holsters. It says you will need to re-apply but I have not not found that to be the case.

Top Bottom