Texas SOT

Snake Bite...It's Not Like In The Movies!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I just received a warning from the gun club in Beaumont about one of the members of another club being bitten by a snake while mowing at the range.

The guy messed up but we see so few snake bites that we lose sight of the severity of the reaction. In fact, when I opened my overhead garage door a few weeks ago, a 14" Copper Head dropped off of the door and slid off of my shoulder! I felt that the narrative of how this member was treated after the bite would be sufficient warning to watch your ass! Hunting season is here and our people will be in the woods. TAKE HEED! I know some of these folks and used to shoot matches with them.

Here's the message:

P...., needs your payers and thoughts.

This could be any one of us. We need to remember not to toy, play, touch, pick up or antagonize snakes. They can be deadly.

While on a work day at the b... rifle club, P....... was bitten by a water moccasin .

P...... was bitten at the range today by a water moccasin around 11:30. He ran over it with the mower and then tried to pick it up to move it out of the way.

He was immediately taken to the VA hospital by TD. Thanks T!.

At the hospital, his hand and arm were starting to swell pretty bad and they operated on his hand/arm to relieve pressure.

He is now out of the OR and in his room. There is no phone in the room.

His nurse says he is doing ok and is keeping them laughing but he will probably be in there a couple of days. I heard that he was not pleased when they wanted to take his clothes off to prep him for surgery.

Fyi - We will be adding another item to the Safety Briefing - Do Not Pick Up Snakes!

-G

Sunday - 4:00 PM Update
    B and I just back from the hospital. He is in Surgicial ICU at the xx hospital. The nurses said they could not remember ever treating a snakebite victim so it is not a very common event. The staff at the xx seemed to want to do everything possible to make his stay there comfortable. The nurses contact someone to let us get his car keys from patient storage even though it is closed on Sunday. We got his cell phone and reading glasses for him.

We found out the reason he was picking up the snake - He wanted to show it to LM!

One of the fang marks was about 1/3 of the way up his middle finger and the other fang mark was at the base of the index finger on his left hand. From the distance between fang marks plus the size of the puncture wounds it was a pretty big snake.

P is in good spirits and is making jokes. They haven’t let him eat anything because he is still nauseated.

He had surgery and they cut his arm to relieve swelling. He says the incision is almost the length of his forearm and goes almost to the bone.
    He might need skin grafts but it will be a couple of days before they know if that will be necessary. His fingers are discolored but he is able to move them.

His upper arm is discolored about ½ way to his body. The upper left arm is swollen about 50% larger than the right arm.

He says the doctor says he could be in the hospital for a week or so.

-G
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Pretty bad stuff, had a little girl around here get bit by a copper head a few weeks ago and it wound up costing the family nearly $15,000. Anti venom ain't cheap.

Definatly be carefully, and check your porches, this time last year(or when the whether was about like it is now) I almost stepped on a copper head on my front porch on night when I stepped out barefoot. I always check now. And with the cool nights warm cement will be attractive to them.

Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Damn! We kill 15 - 20 copperheads every year getting our deer lease set up. I've had them strike my snake boots before I spotted them. I just pop them in the head with whatever sidearm I happen to be carrying and move on.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    That sucks, prayers. BUT, lemme get this straight: He was at a gun range, saw a snake, and DIDN'T shoot it?? IDC what just happened to it, ya shoot it to be sure then move it with a long stick.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The anti-venom has turned into a major racket.

One of my dogs was bitten by a rattler in 1977, took him to vet and it cost about $160. The dog recovered nicely.

Now, my vet tells me if one of my dogs gets hit by a poisonous snake, the initial costs will be from $1800 to $2200 for anti-venom.

He urged me to get the dog rattlesnake vaccine.

Has to have multiple injections.

It is much easier to train a dog to avoid snakes.

Top Bottom