• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DickSpecial

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2018
    Houston
    I just picked up a beautiful blued detective special 1994 a few weeks ago, first gun ever; I plan to EDC. Was relatively unfired and almost NIB when purchased according the the prior seller. I have taken it to the range about 4 times, putting about 400 rounds total of non +P 158gr FMJs through it. The first 3 days were great. I cleaned it and took it to the range yesterday and the cylinder was rotating roughly. Afterwards I noticed a ring on the cylinder and that the cylinder ratchet edges where the hand engages had slight nicks/dents in them. It cycles smoother now, the problem prob felt worse at the range when the gun was warm/hot. I used different ammo, 138gr federal non +P, and I think I was a bit rougher with the gun when it came to closing the cylinder and learning how to use speed loaders... that's on me... I think I did the damage.

Needless to say I'm bummed. I broke my new to me sweet little revolver.

I've read a lot about how the cylinder and action are hand fitted and to be wary of who I let work on the gun. I need a new ratchet fitted, and the timing corrected as well as just general smoothing/fine tuning. Who is capable and competent enough to fix my Colt?

I've reached out to Lohman's, Cylinder and Slide, and Colt. Cylinder and Slide responded and said they can do the work but theres about a 5-6 month backlog. Haven't heard back from the other two yet. Is there anyone else?
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Double check with Cylinder&Slide.
    If I remember correctly you place a work order now(but keep your gun). When your turn comes you send in the gun. They only have your gun for a few weeks.

Can you show us a few pics of what you are describing?

DickSpecial

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2018
    Houston
    Army: Thank you for your reply. I'll see what Colt has to say (are they even willing to take it?). I've seen others share that same concern online - that all the quality smiths at Colt who could do this work are gone - so maybe taking it back to the mfg isn't the best idea.

Moonpie: You are definitely right about how their Cylinder & Slide's process works. Either way I would probably not want to fire the gun while it's waiting to be fixed - I'm worried I'll damage the cylinder more. I will definitely post some pictures this evening after work.

Basically I think the cylinder lock up bolt is dropping too early where as before it dropped just right. I'll post pictures of where the bolt drops a bit before the ramp. And I'll post pictures of my ratchet to see if the wear I'm noticing is normal. I just don't understand why rotation is rough on just 2 of the chambers. 1 kind of rough, 1 definitely rough. All the other chambers dry fire perfect with snap caps in. Those 2 feel like something is grinding or binding when I do a double action pull, and it's even more noticeable in single action. Will update this evening. Thank you.

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    When you're dry firing it, as you get to the two chambers that are rough, check the barrel/cylinder gap.
    Make sure there is a gap and the cylinder is not hitting the barrel.

Top Bottom