• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I am considering getting my first Sig pistol and I know that I want it to be the P226 in 9mm. It seems that most of them have an alloy frame. I prefer all steel but all I could find is the Elite that is this way. Am I missing another model or older model that is all steel or is the Elite the only one that's like this?
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I am considering getting my first Sig pistol and I know that I want it to be the P226 in 9mm. It seems that most of them have an alloy frame. I prefer all steel but all I could find is the Elite that is this way. Am I missing another model or older model that is all steel or is the Elite the only one that's like this?
    Mines pretty old and it's alloy.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Why the 226?

I have / had 220,228,229 and liked them all. Just curious how you arrived at the 226.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I’m an avid Sig 226 guy. Been lugging my .40 cal inside and outside the pants for a long time GI. Mine is so old the radioactive night sites only glow feeble these days but he shoots like a young pup and I ain’t been in a night time gun fight with a pistol since Moby Dick was still just a minner..so don’t guess that matters much. Got a new spring in it a year or so ago. The new one was much longer that the old one. Anyway mine is all steel and I have had a few rookies trying to sneak around and buy it but I would in no way be scared to have one with an ally frame if it was me. Unless your into some kinda comp shooting hobby. Keep us up to speed. Thanks

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Is there any particular reason for your preference for steel? I am just curious.

I prefer the extra weight of steel and its durability.
    Alloy is borderline too light and is not as durable as steel.
    I find plastic is too light, not as rigid as metal, and feels odd in comparison metal when used as frame material for a pistol. I also question its durability when compared to steel or alloy.

Last edited:

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Why the 226?

I have / had 220,228,229 and liked them all. Just curious how you arrived at the 226.

I want to first get the iconic 226 in 9mm just as I first got the Beretta 92FS before I went ahead and purchased quite a few other variants of that line of pistols.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I'm even more fudder than most of you guys and have owned more than my share of "DA/SA" pistols but I can't help thinking that they're 'yesterday's guns' from an EDC standpoint - :marine:

To the contrary, I think DA/SA pistols are in a renaissance period and are making quite comeback. Don't know the reasons. Maybe all of us wanted to have a fling with plastic striker fired pistols and then some of us realized that we liked the DA/SA operation better, especially for carry or home defense.

GonzoLonzo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    I'm even more fudder than most of you guys and have owned more than my share of "DA/SA" pistols but I can't help thinking that they're 'yesterday's guns' from an EDC standpoint - :marine:

Hey Bud, I tried the striker fired plastic guns for a long time. Slowly I have migrated back to metal hammer fired guns. I don't own any plactic guns any more. My current carry guns are a Sig P229 and a CZ P01. I prefer the weight and even at my age with all my back injuries, I prefer carrying these on a daily basis.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Hey Bud, I tried the striker fired plastic guns for a long time. Slowly I have migrated back to metal hammer fired guns. I don't own any plactic guns any more. My current carry guns are a Sig P229 and a CZ P01. I prefer the weight and even at my age with all my back injuries, I prefer carrying these on a daily basis.
    You're speaking my language. Ironically, the only striker fired gun I own is my EDC. The only one I want to own is a P7.

GonzoLonzo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz

Hey Bud, the only one I know of is the Elite which is made of all stainless steel. All the others have alloy frames. My P229 I bought back in 1998 has the alloy frame and I couldn't tell you how many thousand of rounds have been put through it. It was my duty carry for many years and have been abused more than any other gun I own and I have yet to have any issues with it. If you really want the Elite, I see them up for sale every once in a while. I don't know if you want to go that route or not.

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Well "Bud",
    I don't think I mentioned plastic guns, my carry pistol weighs 2lbs 9oz (loaded), I too prefer a little 'heft'. It's the DA/SA/DeCocker that I don't like,

Mike

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The decocking lever is my favorite part of the Sig.
    I've always detested the right-handedness of the Sigs. I've got a German P228, a W. German P226, and probably the only Sig Mosquito that works reliably all the time. But alas--none easily decocked by a lefty.

The 229DAK SAS has no levers; however, the DAK system sucks in comparison to the HK LEM. So, while the Sigs are great pistols, they are not my primary choice for anything.

Top Bottom