• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    So I have narrowed my HD shotgun purchase to 3 types:

1. Mossberg 500SPX 18in 12GA with ghost rind and fiber sights, pistol grip, and adjustable tactical stock - $466 (Guns for All)

2. Same as #1 but without sights - $374 (GT Distributor)

3. Benelli Super Nova Tactical 18in 12GA with ghost ring rear and pistol grip (and stock) - $479 (Hyatt Gun Store)

Leaning towards Benelli....would rather buy a shotgun with sights than buy bargain and add stuff. I'm not an armorer...don't have time to tinker.

Ideas? Comments? Thanks!
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd probably lean toward the Benelli. I'm not a fan of the Mossberg's safety location, especially when you put a pistol grip stock on it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    By the way, this is probably the best deal going on a shotgun right now: H&R PROTECTOR 12-GA. 18 1/2-IN.

That's a Chinese copy of a Remington 870. The only thing 870 it won't take are barrels. The one I picked up (that the ex wound up with) was drilled and tapped for a rail, so adding sights would be very easy. It took a Knoxx recoil reducing stock for an 870 with no problem. Action was smooth and it shot well enough.

You really won't need ghost ring sights for home defense. Things are going to be so close and so fast, sight alignment isn't even going to show up on your list of priorities... Front sight (or bead) on badguy, trigger pull, pump and repeat? That's going to be more like it.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    I lean towards #2 because I really like HD shotguns with pistol grips but I have never found a good use for Ghost ring sights on a shotgun. In particular, I don't like the mossberg ghost ring, so that rules out #1 and #3.

The only problem is, like M Sage said, the Mossberg safety on the top of the receiver is hard to reach without adjusting your grip on the pistol grip. AND, on the Mossy that gap between the PG and the trigger is a long reach for some folks. If you can live with those two things, I say #2.

As for the stocks, I don't care for M4 style stocks on shotguns but since the 500X with the fixed stock is WAY to long for most folk and is not easily shortened, I guess it's OK.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    the Benelli super nova with collapsible stock rocks!!
    DSC06368.jpg

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    By the way, this is probably the best deal going on a shotgun right now: H&R PROTECTOR 12-GA. 18 1/2-IN.

That's a Chinese copy of a Remington 870. The only thing 870 it won't take are barrels. The one I picked up (that the ex wound up with) was drilled and tapped for a rail, so adding sights would be very easy. It took a Knoxx recoil reducing stock for an 870 with no problem. Action was smooth and it shot well enough.

You really won't need ghost ring sights for home defense. Things are going to be so close and so fast, sight alignment isn't even going to show up on your list of priorities... Front sight (or bead) on badguy, trigger pull, pump and repeat? That's going to be more like it.

Yup, best bang for the buck!!

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Thanks. Leaning towards #2. Will check both out when I get back to the states. Unlike a handgun, I hate to invest too much in a weapon which will most likely do most of it's duty in the corner. Plan to hit the range every other month or so...but, I can't see myself making it "tacti-cool" then not shooting it like my Xd. PLUS - I get 6 shots in the Mossberg vs 4 in the Benelli.

Again, I appreciate the opinions. This is a great forum.

BTW- watcha think of buying a shottie online used vs new in the store? Seems like I can get great deals at GT...why try to save $30-$50 used?

Top Bottom