• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ian

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2018
    Liberty Hill
    If teachers' unions in Texas were as powerful as people think, then teacher pay would be higher and classloads would be lower. They don't even have the power to collectively bargain or strike in this state. If you want to blame anyone for the current state of education, blame the administrators and politicians.....teachers haven't had much say in it for a long while.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Keep it like that! The teacher's went on strike for two weeks at the last school my children attended. All for a 4% raise. They got it and the next year the school had to lay off 17 teachers and a bunch of support staff. They cut college prep classes. Class sizes increased, the teachers ended up having a harder job and the students had a poorer learning environment. Union got paid though.

I could not be happier with the schools my children currently attend. Teachers are so helpful and competent. Campuses are well kept and beautiful. I now know what school pride feels like.
    Venture Surplus ad

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    The old 'that's racist' argument! Talk about barking. Your argument holds no water.

It's not MY argument. I'm merely telling you that this would be the wall you'd be banging your head against.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Vouchers will never be a thing because that would pretty much mean segregated schools again and that won't be allowed to happen. So you need to bark down a different well.
    Good point. Hadn’t thought of that PC angle but yes I agree. The evil rich kids will pay vouchers to a cool school and the little black kids can go where they go. It just ain’t fair.

ian

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2018
    Liberty Hill
    It's not MY argument. I'm merely telling you that this would be the wall you'd be banging your head against.

Well since it's not your argument you can't provide facts to support it.

Anyone who presents the 'that's racist argument' and attempts to back it up (obviously not you) will easily be defeated.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Well since it's not your argument you can't provide facts to support it.

Anyone who presents the 'that's racist argument' and attempts to back it up (obviously not you) will easily be defeated.

I don't have kids in school, so all I'm doing is pay my taxes and otherwise don't give a crap. But you can not possibly argue against the fact that people who can afford it send their kids to better schools, which might not always be a private school, but a public one in a better district.

ian

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2018
    Liberty Hill
    I don't have kids in school, so all I'm doing is pay my taxes and otherwise don't give a crap. But you can not possibly argue against the fact that people who can afford it send their kids to better schools, which might not always be a private school, but a public one in a better district.

Sounds like your real beef is the fact that some public schools suck. I feel the same.

Vouchers are not based on personal wealth.

Don't wealthy people send their kids to nice schools now? Wealthy people also have nice gun collections. Money can buy lots of nice things. This is a fact. Vouchers would not change this fact.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Many folks, even those on the lower end of middle class, consider schools when buying a house.

As a property investor, I’ll say it’s a pretty big deal.
    It absolutely affects housing prices as well.

For a residential flip or rental, I want the house to be in a good school district. It’s easier to sell/rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ian

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2018
    Liberty Hill
    As a property investor, I’ll say it’s a pretty big deal.
    It absolutely affects housing prices as well.

For a residential flip or rental, I want the house to be in a good school district. It’s easier to sell/rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One more reason people should demand vouchers and merit based pay for teachers (competition). Better schools just make sense all around.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Keep it like that! The teacher's went on strike for two weeks at the last school my children attended. All for a 4% raise. They got it and the next year the school had to lay off 17 teachers and a bunch of support staff. They cut college prep classes. Class sizes increased, the teachers ended up having a harder job and the students had a poorer learning environment. Union got paid though.

I could not be happier with the schools my children currently attend. Teachers are so helpful and competent. Campuses are well kept and beautiful. I now know what school pride feels like.
    And I'll bet the administrators and coaches didn't suffer a bit.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

https://local.theonion.com/man-celebrates-raise-company-will-eventually-use-to-jus-1819577813

ian

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2018
    Liberty Hill
    And I'll bet the administrators and coaches didn't suffer a bit.

One of teachers let go was a baseball coach if that makes you feel better. Amazingly that same teacher was arrested months prior for a DUI crash leaving the county fair. At the same county fair 7-10 HS students ODed on xanax. Daughter told me the teacher went to many HS parties. I suspect he mixed his booze with xanex and that contributed to his crash. Crazy how the teachers union let him keep his job.

Admin were all former teachers. The admin positions were a revolving door. When the teachers got ready to retire they would work a couple years as admin then leave with a boosted retirement. Total racket. The district was paying for so many teacher retirements they couldn't afford books.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    One of teachers let go was a baseball coach if that makes you feel better. Amazingly that same teacher was arrested months prior for a DUI crash leaving the county fair. At the same county fair 7-10 HS students ODed on xanax. Daughter told me the teacher went to many HS parties. I suspect he mixed his booze with xanex and that contributed to his crash. Crazy how the teachers union let him keep his job.

Admin were all former teachers. The admin positions were a revolving door. When the teachers got ready to retire they would work a couple years as admin then leave with a boosted retirement. Total racket. The district was paying for so many teacher retirements they couldn't afford books.

Read where the Waco ISD superintendent just resigned (you can't fire me, I quit) after being arrested by DPS on marijuana charges. Sad.

ian

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2018
    Liberty Hill
    Read where the Waco ISD superintendent just resigned (you can't fire me, I quit) after being arrested by DPS on marijuana charges. Sad.

Well that's one retirement the ISD won't have to pay.

My old school district also paid a bunch of money to kids who were sexually abused by teachers.

Children are 200 times more likely to be sexually abused by Teachers in public schools than Catholic Priests!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom