• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    My ranch cabin has wifi and I want to be able to monitor the windspeed/direction/temp/rainfall and possibly indoor temp of the cabin remotely from an app.

I have seen some "wifi" connected stations but they appear to be for your local Wi-Fi and dont mention an app for off site monitoring

If anyone can help me find some choices for a system, I would appreciate it.
    DK Firearms

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    If you don’t mind sharing such information with the world, the Weather Underground network might not be a bad option.

From the drop-down list on this page you can see what equipment they can accept data from.

Edited to add:

Check out the map for WU there may already be a station close enough to get the info you want.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My ranch cabin has wifi and I want to be able to monitor the windspeed/direction/temp/rainfall and possibly indoor temp of the cabin remotely from an app.

I have seen some "wifi" connected stations but they appear to be for your local Wi-Fi and dont mention an app for off site monitoring

Most can connect to the internet.

Check out ambientweather.net and see if anyone in the area has one connected. They report real time. I was going to buy one but a half dozen people around me have stations connected on line and so I just use their info.

Here's my zip code. All the dots are local weather stations you can call up real time.
    Screenshot_20230209_212958_Chrome.jpg

The Info you pull up depends on the machine and the app they use to connect. It's usually the normal stuff with the difference being how far back you can see their info. For rain it's usually 24 hours event and week. Some show rain for the year too. That us what they report to the web site.

If you get one the app that comes with it will allow it to report to ambient weather or weather underground or other locations that you can look up. The app will also allow you to monitor your own station as long as your wifi has internet access. It also saves more info than it reports to whatever web site you're hooked too.

Me I saved a couple hundred bucks by just watching my neighbors info.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

I get wind, temperature, rainfall, humidity from my phone. Inside temperature Is available on phone from smart thermostat.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I am 8 miles from Tuscola on a high mesa. There is a wind farm 1 mile to the north. I want to know the weather for that exact location because its a lot different up on that mesa than it could be even 2 miles away down the hill from me.

That station looks like a good option

Reactions: gll

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    My neighbor likes this one very much...

Ambient Weather WS-2902 WiFi Smart Weather Station https://a.co/d/7ccAKGl

Probably what I will buy for my next one. The app is really good. You should install it and look at some stations around you.
    I just put the app on and it looks like the closest station is about 6 miles away.
    Thats a neat app to have even if you dont have a reporting station

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Bloomsky is an option...

I often look up their cameras to see if conditions are actually "clear" or high overcast. Really helpful for knowing if we should go take aerial photos or wait.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I have an Ambient Weather Station in the yard. Two displays in the house showing all the info and I use the Ambient Weather app to see all the details. I've added a few additional sensors such as ground temp and patio temp that others cannot see via Wunderground but they show on the app I've downloaded.

Below is the start of a long list of items the app shows.

Attachments

• Ambient.png
      Ambient.png
      330.6 KB · Views: 48

Ranger2k

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2023
    Eddy, TX
    Have had several weather stations, Davis, Ambient etc.....last year, purchased a Tempest - best investment. No moving parts, I have a Davis Vue unit still here at another part of the ranch - The Tempest here at the house is spot on - no moving parts - thats something to consider when remote, no spinning anemometer, direction indicator or rain cups to get clogged . All wireless, great interface and customer support is there if needed.

Top Bottom