• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Hey everyone. I'm looking into getting a shotgun for home defense and for fun at the range. I've heard from/read a few threads that the quality has gone down a bit. Is this true? If so, which is your #1 choice to replace it?

Thanks!
    Texas SOT

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I like my 870 but its also older. Mine has a pistol grip with a swing out buttstock but I'd rather have something like the KSG from Keltec personally though. It's one of my "wants" this year.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some 6 or 7 R 870's, newest about 4 years old. The quality is uniform. The newer ones have the composite stocks. The ones they make for WalMart, Academy, etc. are made to be CHEAP as they can get them. I NEVER buy a gun except from my local gun shop. Many things at the big chain stores & catalog retailers are made to be cheap; the manufacturers do special runs to satisfy them. I have seen this in shirts, outerwear, fishing tackle, & especially firearms.

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I have some 6 or 7 R 870's, newest about 4 years old. The quality is uniform. The newer ones have the composite stocks. The ones they make for WalMart, Academy, etc. are made to be CHEAP as they can get them. I NEVER buy a gun except from my local gun shop. Many things at the big chain stores & catalog retailers are made to be cheap; the manufacturers do special runs to satisfy them. I have seen this in shirts, outerwear, fishing tackle, & especially firearms.
    Ah good to know. I knew they did this with tv's. Should have figured they would do it with everything else that they offer.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Please don't confuse the Remington 870 Express and 870 Wingmaster. The Wingmaster has always been a quality pump shotgun. The Express is built to a price point 50% of the Wingmaster. That leaves the Express rather rough in it's action and finish.
    I doubt that the factory workers know who is being supplied when they are making any of their products. The products are made to preset specs.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I doubt that the factory workers know who is being supplied when they are making any of their products. The products are made to preset specs.
    I would agree, which is why I asked the question I did. I doubt there is any difference at all between an Academy Express model and a gunshop Express model.

One of the biggest issues with the Express is rough chambers, which is easily solved with just a small amount of work at home. Express models also have some cast parts where the Wingmaster does not, but these are also easily replaced with the Wingmaster parts if they bother you.

http://www.rem870.com/remington-gun-parts/remington-870-parts/

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Or, grab a Remington 1100. I know they aren't exactly short in length but I love mine. Picked it up for 300 dollars about 10 years ago, I remember that day well. It was my first semi-auto shotgun.

In all seriousness though, an 870 from about 8 or so years ago should be fine.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I've got a 870 express. that's less than 10 years old. Everyone said it was a jamm-o-matic ajd the receiver was susceptible to rust.

Previous owner had a single point sling on it that rubbed part of the receiver bare. The gun had never jammed on me nor has it developed any rust.

Good house gun. Bought it off a PD firearms trainer sonit was already tacitcooled out, and he threw in a baggie of Federal LE birdshot.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My vote is also Mossberg. 590a1 gives you a lot of shotgun for the money. I like nothing in the way of the follower. Dissasembly and reassembly is just as easy as an 870. My next shotgun I want is a browning bps 10 gauge. Also look at the browning op. I absolutely love brownings quality.

Top Bottom