• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Bought my Swedish Mauser for $53 bucks, ammo was $25 per 20 and 180gr only. Was living on an Island where the dear ran 60 - 80 lbs dressed. Used the lee hand loader to reload 90 and 120 gr bullets and would use a fid to hit the loader. Still have it and will use it again.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Some bench rest guys will take these kits to the range with them and work up a load with this....

I've also seen kits like this in videos of middle east gun shops where a 12 year old kid is banging away making ammo.

474390.jpg

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Hmmm, I have a Lyman 310 tool and dies and have made 30-06, 30-40 Krag, .223, and .45LC in my time. All were good useable ammo as any I reloaded on my turret presses. Full length resizing is another subject however. Yes, its much slower but the pride in doing it like Grandad did it counts for a lot. 310 tools are still available but not cheap any more. I seriously doubt that the so called "SHTF" situation will ever occur but a 310 tool and dies out in the boonies with bullets, powder, and primers might make the difference in living or not....

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I still use my 310 tong tool that I bought back in the 50s. Only for seating primers. I like the way I can feel the primer going home.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    It was productive back in the day of living miles away from where ammo was sold and money was scarce and part of what was on the table was deer, or other game. Not forgetting wolves, coyotes, and cougers running amok eating livestock...Many folks out there had their 30-30 and a Colt .45 .....

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    This is the way many of us were brought up. In the late 60's I still paid $7.00 for a box of 20 44 mag. If you compare it today with the prices and incomes you will see it was expensive. I was working for $1.45 a hour at the time. It is nice to be able to reload even if you don't have much in the way of equiptment. I took a gunsmithing course back then and and knew some "oldtimers" these fellas could turn our some great weapons and ammo with little of what mfr have today.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    I was working for $1.45 a hour at the time.

When I got out of HS in 73 I started out at $2.50 an hour being a carpenters helper. The same year I bought a brand new VW Super Beetle for $3,233 with a sunroof and a A/C. Cost $2 to fill it up then the gas crunch started.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    For some reason I like using a Lee Loader over a press for 308 and I've had good luck with it. I use a Lee auto prime with it though and I usually just load 20 at a time so I don't mind the extra time.

I've always wanted to try a Lyman hand tool but never had a chance.

wills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Fayette County
    Antique loading tools are cool, and there is at least one website devoted to them. One thing noticeable about them, the boolit molds had short steel handles. The oldtimers had to be tough.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Doesn't look that bad to me. Like someone said it seems like a great way to be able to test out a handload right a the range. Take 10 minutes, load up 10 rounds and see how it goes..

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Antique loading tools are cool, and there is at least one website devoted to them. One thing noticeable about them, the boolit molds had short steel handles. The oldtimers had to be tough.

Nope, the handles were usually wrapped in leather or rags, and the caster wore gloves...at least after the first attempt. I'll take newer ( not new) technolgy, please. Even presses have been in use for 100 years or so at this time.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom