• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    When I was in college, I worked in food service a couple of days a week.
    I started working in the dish room and moved up to grill cook.
    For the next few weeks I was on the breakfast shift frying up trays of scrambled eggs and home fries as well as eggs to order as part of the cafeteria line. Then I was asked if I wanted to be kitchen help instead. Another upgrade. Yay.
    The purpose of the story is that the cook had his Soul Food Friday.
    Charlie was a black guy so all the children thought we were serving authentic Soul Food. Maybe we were, I’ve never had soul food.
    In fact we all we did was over cook some hams and chickens and made red beans and rice(with white pepper). Then we made huge pots of refrigerator soup. The walk in cooler was practically emptied into those pots with cabbage and cans of beans and a bottle of hot sauce.
    The kids loved it!
    In honor of Charlie I made soup today from leftover spaghetti sauce, meatballs, Bush’s Grillin’ Beans, a can of turnip greens and a can of northern white beans. Yum!
    Venture Surplus ad

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A lot of soups are yesterday's leftovers. Wendy's came up with their "chili" so that they could use up the hamburger leftover from the day before. Whenever you read one of those articles where former workers tell you what they won't touch, Wendy's "chili" comes up on the list. When a restaurant has daily specials, take a look at yesterday's special and see what to stay away from today. Like "Fried chicken Monday" turns into "Chicken Soup Tuesday."

I put "chili" in quotes because it's really hamburger and bean soup. It has beans; it ain't chili.

When my son went off to college, my wife and I were surprised at how many leftovers accumulated in the 'fridge. He would get up at night, get a mixing bowl, and put whatever leftovers he could find into it for a snack. One night I heard him in the living room and went to see what was going on. He had spaghetti, tacos, and a salad mixed in the bowl and was watching an old horror movie.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

mmmhhhh 'Gazpacho & Vichyssoise' and this is the time of year for them.
    I once made a cold cantaloupe soup with lime juice, chili powder & kosher salt.
    You wasted the sweetness then the sour the side and finally the salt. It was very refreshing on a hot day when eat heavy just didn't get it. My wife hated it mainly because she hates cantaloupe.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Cold Wurst Salad at the German deli. All dated or leftover wurst, weisswurst, bratwurst, knockwurst, diced up in a cream sauce. On thin slices of hard bread.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    baboon,

Some years back, 'Blue Bell' made a 'cantaloupe' ice cream...it was wonderful, but apparently the public didn't care for it...and so I never saw it again...sigh...I loved it!

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    When I was in college, I worked in food service a couple of days a week.
    I started working in the dish room and moved up to grill cook.
    For the next few weeks I was on the breakfast shift frying up trays of scrambled eggs and home fries as well as eggs to order as part of the cafeteria line. Then I was asked if I wanted to be kitchen help instead. Another upgrade. Yay.
    The purpose of the story is that the cook had his Soul Food Friday.
    Charlie was a black guy so all the children thought we were serving authentic Soul Food. Maybe we were, I’ve never had soul food.
    In fact we all we did was over cook some hams and chickens and made red beans and rice(with white pepper). Then we made huge pots of refrigerator soup. The walk in cooler was practically emptied into those pots with cabbage and cans of beans and a bottle of hot sauce.
    The kids loved it!
    In honor of Charlie I made soup today from leftover spaghetti sauce, meatballs, Bush’s Grillin’ Beans, a can of turnip greens and a can of northern white beans. Yum!
    When I was growing up, any meals made in that manner were called Mustgo..
    Been in the fridge too long and Must Go!
    So in the Mustgo pot it all went! Sometimes there were some strange combos, but one ot the things my mother and my wife both have in common is that they both could cook dirt and make it taste good.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    A lot of soups are yesterday's leftovers. Wendy's came up with their "chili" so that they could use up the hamburger leftover from the day before. Whenever you read one of those articles where former workers tell you what they won't touch, Wendy's "chili" comes up on the list. When a restaurant has daily specials, take a look at yesterday's special and see what to stay away from today. Like "Fried chicken Monday" turns into "Chicken Soup Tuesday."

I put "chili" in quotes because it's really hamburger and bean soup. It has beans; it ain't chili.

When my son went off to college, my wife and I were surprised at how many leftovers accumulated in the 'fridge. He would get up at night, get a mixing bowl, and put whatever leftovers he could find into it for a snack. One night I heard him in the living room and went to see what was going on. He had spaghetti, tacos, and a salad mixed in the bowl and was watching an old horror movie.
    Reminds me of chicken wings’ evolution.

40 years ago chicken wings would get thrown away or be made into dog food etc.

Then someone came along with the bright idea of “buffalo wings” and we pay as much as $1 per wing that used to be garbage.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Reminds me of chicken wings’ evolution.

40 years ago chicken wings would get thrown away or be made into dog food etc.

Then someone came along with the bright idea of “buffalo wings” and we pay as much as $1 per wing that used to be garbage.
    As I recall. 40 years ago, very little of anything ever got thrown away. At least not by anyone in my family.

Top Bottom